VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I can't really argue with her. Roaring Fork is okay, but it is no longer one of the best CS dining options at a DVC resort as I used to think that it was.

When we were at GP a few weeks ago, they definitely had the cheesy brisket as I ordered it twice during our trip. In fact, I'd say that the menu looked like it had more eating options than before. I've never paid real close attention to it so maybe it hasn't changed, but it seemed like more items to choose from. And definitely the brisket was there.
I agree wholeheartedly about RF. I noted they now have more than one sauce for the Mickey waffles, but before the refurb, there weren't sauces--there were toppings. One suggests, and in my experience is, a sugary glop with minimal fruit. The toppings used to be substantial. As for the brisket, I hadn't heard it wasn't there, but the menu didn't show it. Honestly, it's a bit too heavy for us most of the time, but it was (is?) tasty.

I agree wholeheartedly about RF. I noted they now have more than one sauce for the Mickey waffles, but before the refurb, there weren't sauces--there were toppings. One suggests, and in my experience is, a sugary glop with minimal fruit. The toppings used to be substantial. As for the brisket, I hadn't heard it wasn't there, but the menu didn't show it. Honestly, it's a bit too heavy for us most of the time, but it was (is?) tasty.
This is what's happened all over the WDW resort. Most of those inexpensive items that seemed to have a healthy component to them have been replaced by the sugar industry version. Makes me sad, and happy to know that at least with DVC we have a kitchen/ette and can make our own versions in-room. (And Disney wonders why grocery deliveries are up. There's far more to it than just rising costs and the introduction of Prime now. )

Last edited:
I have returned! Did you miss me? I have missed you! We're still living a stone's throw away from the Magic Kingdom. They are constructing an Elementary School behind our house. They gave it a name the other day - 'Castleview Elementary'. Sounds about right!

I managed to snag 2 nights in a Grand Villa at Riviera Resort! I'm very excited to try it out.

We still have our Dec 1 - 6 reservations at our beloved Lodge. Any groupie events happening then? I'm all in!

I have returned! Did you miss me? I have missed you! We're still living a stone's throw away from the Magic Kingdom. They are constructing an Elementary School behind our house. They gave it a name the other day - 'Castleview Elementary'. Sounds about right!

I managed to snag 2 nights in a Grand Villa at Riviera Resort! I'm very excited to try it out.

We still have our Dec 1 - 6 reservations at our beloved Lodge. Any groupie events happening then? I'm all in!

Hi Hollis! Nice to "see" you and hope you're all doing well. I wonder how well I'd have done in school if going to Castleview Elementary? :laughing: Love the name though!

For Dec I had a crazy idea to try out NYE. We'll see if we chicken out or not. :eek:

Enjoy the GV stay!

Yes, our anniversary is December 17, so always peak Christmas season everywhere. Airfare to Hawaii for our anniversary trip last year was killer.

Sleepy, glad you are recuperating well. It's so hard to be "stuck" at home when you are accustomed to being on the go all the time. I took your advice, registered for the Disney Princess Challenge race this morning. DH was all about doing both races. Of course, he just did a Half Ironman in Chattanooga 2 weekends ago. He's a little more into his training than I am. Hopefully, I won't regret it too much. They already had merchandise previews when you registered. It looks as though the 10K is Pocahontas themed, the 1/2 is Cinderella, and the Challenge items had the three fairies on them. I was tempted to actually order some merchandise, but I'll just wait. I'm glad I booked our room for that weekend awhile back, there are no studios available at BR right now for that weekend. The combo of the race, Mardi Gras, and President's Day are going to make for some serious crowds. They may be worse than our usual Easter trip.
Upon re-reading your post, I see where you did a quick scroll through merchandise being offered for the race. I think you've done one (or more) of these races before, and perhaps you didn't have any issues, but for our race, a lot of the merchandise was sold out by the time we got to the actual venue. We were surprised at how many items were already sold out before noon. In fact, on the way into the expo, we saw numerous people with boxes of goodies walking out. It was tres frustrating to find so many items gone first thing in the morning. Of course, all those items wind up on eBay for way more than the original cost. Anyway, I thought it worth noting.

Cool front here in the mountains of southwest Virginia--mostly sunny yesterday but the temp topped out around 70. Same for today, with temps perhaps 3-4 degrees warmer. The warmer, moister air comes in Wednesday bringing soggy conditions the next few days. That front moving up from Mexico into Texas will supposedly then sweep east/northeast. Stay safe, Groupies!

Hey Hollis! Great to hear from you! Give our best to Toni & Jessy. So sorry DiznyDi & I will miss you this December. We have a whole family trip planned for November, so we will miss our December Lodge experience - first time since 2008! Dang. Enjoy your Grand Villa.

Oh, I want to teach children in an elementary school with a theme park view from my room! Just kidding, I would be worthless. We'd be field tripping every single day.

Upon re-reading your post, I see where you did a quick scroll through merchandise being offered for the race. I think you've done one (or more) of these races before, and perhaps you didn't have any issues, but for our race, a lot of the merchandise was sold out by the time we got to the actual venue. We were surprised at how many items were already sold out before noon. In fact, on the way into the expo, we saw numerous people with boxes of goodies walking out. It was tres frustrating to find so many items gone first thing in the morning. Of course, all those items wind up on eBay for way more than the original cost. Anyway, I thought it worth noting.

I did not purchase any merchandise when I registered, but I did like the look of it. We did not get to the expo until Saturday last year, and a lot of the items were sold out. Honestly though, I really didn't like most of what I saw. The only thing I really wanted was a Mickey head magnet with 13.1 on it, and they didn't even have those. They had this hot pink castle design that was not cute. I left with a run Disney Christmas ornament. Oh well, probably saved me a few bucks. This year they are previewing Mickey head magnets with the 19.1 and the three fairies on them that are really cute. I may break down and preorder one of those. This year though, we should be able to get to the expo on Friday morning, so hopefully the selection will be better, and my opportunity to spend money on all things Disney will be available to me again. :)

The temps here in South Alabama today are pushing into the low 90's on a daily basis. It's warm, very warm!

I had a young teacher friend call me yesterday. Her youngest sister just graduated from high school, and her parents want to do a graduation trip to Disney for the family. They have never been to DW, they are family of 5, and they want to go the week of July 4th. I wasn't even sure what to tell her at this point. You would never want to discourage a trip the World, but I hate to see someone that has never been go in the heat of the summer, during a peak week, and they have planned nothing at 30 days out. I priced a couple of options for her on the Disney website, but being in the DVC world, I don't even know how those "other" people go about their trips! :crazy2:

I had a young teacher friend call me yesterday. Her youngest sister just graduated from high school, and her parents want to do a graduation trip to Disney for the family. They have never been to DW, they are family of 5, and they want to go the week of July 4th. I wasn't even sure what to tell her at this point. You would never want to discourage a trip the World, but I hate to see someone that has never been go in the heat of the summer, during a peak week, and they have planned nothing at 30 days out. I priced a couple of options for her on the Disney website, but being in the DVC world, I don't even know how those "other" people go about their trips! :crazy2:

Funny that you should relate this story today. Yesterday I was approached by a friend and his wife who indicated they are thinking about a two-day trip to WDW in a couple of weeks! And they've never been to WDW. They knew I was a WDW "expert" and were looking for some tips.

I was trying to give them some tips, but they don't know where they are staying, or even what parks they want to visit. I tried to tell them that they need to figure out what parks they want to go to, get some tickets and get Fast Passes now! They just didn't get it. So I know that they will show up in mid-June, the parks will be jammed, wait times will be long and they'll feel that they've wasted a ton of money (4 kids aged 10 years and up). I told them to be prepared to get up very early (especially if staying off-site) and do the rope drop each day to get to some of their most coveted attractions.

It just wasn't registering with them. Towards the end of our conversation, they mentioned that they were also thinking of spending an afternoon at Universal Studios since their daughter is a big Harry Potter fan. I think at that point I was just speechless.

There may be some hope for them as more than once recently I've read posts from people saying that the days around the 4th are not that busy - especially following the 4th as I recall. I'd expect the worst will be the 3rd and the 4th and if those other posters are right it might be an ok time. :) Crowdwise at least! Heatwise? Whew! But if summer is when you can go then not much choice.

Funny that you should relate this story today. Yesterday I was approached by a friend and his wife who indicated they are thinking about a two-day trip to WDW in a couple of weeks! And they've never been to WDW. They knew I was a WDW "expert" and were looking for some tips.

I was trying to give them some tips, but they don't know where they are staying, or even what parks they want to visit. I tried to tell them that they need to figure out what parks they want to go to, get some tickets and get Fast Passes now! They just didn't get it. So I know that they will show up in mid-June, the parks will be jammed, wait times will be long and they'll feel that they've wasted a ton of money (4 kids aged 10 years and up). I told them to be prepared to get up very early (especially if staying off-site) and do the rope drop each day to get to some of their most coveted attractions.

It just wasn't registering with them. Towards the end of our conversation, they mentioned that they were also thinking of spending an afternoon at Universal Studios since their daughter is a big Harry Potter fan. I think at that point I was just speechless.

There will always be these types of people who don't plan. They don't want to plan.
They'll put out thousands and then come home complaining that Disney is overrated, overcrowded, and that their group didn't get to do what they wanted to do. #NotYourFault

You can prepare them as much as possible, but they won't hear it and frankly it is a bit too late for most of that. Just wish them well and advise them to take lots of pictures (since chances are slim to none that they'll ever return). I do blame Disney for half of this, but I knew people who had this approach to a WDW trip even before all the planning came along. Their experiences wern't any better.

I, too, have been approached by those that think I am a "Disney Expert". Trying to explain what you have learned in the last 15 years about getting around the Happiest Place on Earth can be overwhelming, for both! Most have been those who will try it ONCE; come home and unfold their story of an overcrowded, confusing, and expensive trip (never heading your advice or tips). But a few have touched base with me a year or so out that have allowed a few meeting describing small bites about the adventure that they could digest. I now just recommend that they go on line, do some research, then come ask some questions. I seems to have always worked out best when they do a little on their own first. But let's face it, if you don't like crowds, don't like spending $10 for a hot dog, and find a long day not to your liking, don't go to Disney.

Must be a busy time for Groupies given there were no posts for nearly 41 hours! Our days until HHI are slipping by, though not as quickly as Luv wishes. In related news, we started a count down chain, though not specifically just for this trip. I've another year left to teach before calling it quits, and it's about that time we're going to figure out just where we want to be--the mountains of southwest VA probably ain't it. Anyway, we started a chain where each loop is one week, so you can imagine how slowly those loops are coming off. Each Friday, we pour a small glass of wine--well, Luv's is small--and remove a loop.

In quick recovery news, I did a total of 2+ miles yesterday, splitting the distance between a morning walk and an evening one. Feeling a bit stronger each day.
Cheers!

Must be a busy time for Groupies given there were no posts for nearly 41 hours! . . . . . . . .

I noticed it too! Just goes to show that Springing into Summer is at full speed!

Sleepy - good to hear you are feeling better! And it sounds like you and I have the same countdown into the next phase. 331 and counting!

I think you have about 40 days on me, Dad! I'll have to wait until the end of the school year, and given we almost always have 5-10 snow days to make up each year, that would put my count at about 370 +/-.

I think you have about 40 days on me, Dad! I'll have to wait until the end of the school year, and given we almost always have 5-10 snow days to make up each year, that would put my count at about 370 +/-.

If you don't have all those extra days it sounds like you will be removing multiple links all at once? How many glasses of wine will go with that? :scratchin

Something extra to celebrate at the Sleepy household tonight. . .as some of you may recall, one of my activities this spring was the varsity girls tennis team coach. While we did better than anticipated--making it to regionals--my top-seeded girl advanced to the 1A (small school) 1A state championship which was held today. I couldn't go due to my back--aarrghhh!--but she won! So very proud of her, naturally. And, she's just a junior, so if she chooses, she can try for a repeat next year. :dancer:party:

Something extra to celebrate at the Sleepy household tonight. . .as some of you may recall, one of my activities this spring was the varsity girls tennis team coach. While we did better than anticipated--making it to regionals--my top-seeded girl advanced to the 1A (small school) 1A state championship which was held today. I couldn't go due to my back--aarrghhh!--but she won! So very proud of her, naturally. And, she's just a junior, so if she chooses, she can try for a repeat next year. :dancer:party:

That's so awesome! Are there nationals?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter