VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Great news Sleepy - but so sorry that your back impacts on your activities.

As to next year as a senior - oh, the pressure is on! :scared1:

That's so awesome! Are there nationals?
Nope, just the state. What I love about this girl is that she's gracious to her opponents and has fun on the court; however, she is relentless while smiling. Her opponents almost universally like her even as she makes short work of them. Here is her scorecard starting in district tourney through the state championship:
DISTRICT
1st round - bye (as top seed)
Semifinal - 6-2, 6-0
Final - 6-2, 6-1
REGIONAL
1st round - bye (top seed)
Semifinal - 6-2, 6-1
Final - 6-1, 6-2
STATE
Semifinal - 6-2, 6-1
Championship - 6-2, 6-2

Not bad. Not bad at all. ;)

In Disney/Lodge news, I keep seeing the topic of the bike path to FW coming up on various sites. I hate breaking the bad news to them--mostly runners--that there is no actual place to run at WL now except in a loop on the sidewalks at the resort. Remember when Wilderness Lodge was synonymous with actual "wilderness?" Disney has been slowly eroding that aspect of WL for some time, and with the advent of Reflections, I only see the situation worsening. Also, if you haven't heard, all the rides at DHS are moving to Tier 1; all that will be left as Tier 2 are shows. Not a fan.

And on that rosy note, have a great weekend, Groupies!

Sleepy...glad to hear that your recovery is progressing well, and that your tennis squad had a successful year. That young lady who won state sounds like a great individual in addition to having a super talent for tennis!

Also, if you haven't heard, all the rides at DHS are moving to Tier 1; all that will be left as Tier 2 are shows. Not a fan.

I did see this, and it is really undermining the entire benefit of the FP+ system. Basically, when it started, the FP+ allowed us to book 3 of our favorite attractions for a park for a day. And the Tier 1 was just the "extra hot" attraction like Toy Story Mania or Rock n Roller Coaster.

I had actually been foolish enough to hope that the Star Wars land would knock some of the current rides down to Tier 2. I can certainly see where the new rides like Avatar Flight of Passage or any of the Star Wars rides would warrant a Tier 1 designation. For me, they are almost discouraging anyone from going to DHS in the future. Also not a fan.

In Disney/Lodge news, I keep seeing the topic of the bike path to FW coming up on various sites. I hate breaking the bad news to them--mostly runners--that there is no actual place to run at WL now except in a loop on the sidewalks at the resort. Remember when Wilderness Lodge was synonymous with actual "wilderness?" Disney has been slowly eroding that aspect of WL for some time, and with the advent of Reflections, I only see the situation worsening. Also, if you haven't heard, all the rides at DHS are moving to Tier 1; all that will be left as Tier 2 are shows. Not a fan.

And on that rosy note, have a great weekend, Groupies!

Not quite Pollyanna today are you Sleepy! :rotfl2:

What an amazing dominence by your tennis player! Well done!

I still find myself saddened over the changes at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort and Villas. It just isn't quite what we bought into anymore although of course the Villas themselves remain intact. At least until the upcoming refurb in a couple of years. :( The rehab center is just twisting the knife especially as once again VWL has it's amentities affected with the closure of the walking path. Not all would understand the appeal and importance of it to the resort but I think many here do. DVC and Disney resort management apparently don't. A walk over to FW, visit with the horses and boat ride back or vice versa was always a must do.

I did see this, and it is really undermining the entire benefit of the FP+ system. Basically, when it started, the FP+ allowed us to book 3 of our favorite attractions for a park for a day. And the Tier 1 was just the "extra hot" attraction like Toy Story Mania or Rock n Roller Coaster.

I had actually been foolish enough to hope that the Star Wars land would knock some of the current rides down to Tier 2. I can certainly see where the new rides like Avatar Flight of Passage or any of the Star Wars rides would warrant a Tier 1 designation. For me, they are almost discouraging anyone from going to DHS in the future. Also not a fan.

I was very surprised when I heard what they were doing to DHS FP's. My assumption was that as a park adds more rides that they actually remove tiers. :confused3 I knew they weren't going to do anything with SWGE yet but this is a big step backwards after the positive move of dropping RnR to Tier 2 after Toy Story Land opened. Or if they would at least would allow you to book 2 Tier 1's.

It does seem as though thought was not put into the tier bit at DHS. Although, this might be a way to entice folk to buy those Concierge level FastPasses which don't take into account tier, or park. Maybe they're looking at opening those up to more folk than just club level. This is where I put my bet. Modern Disney park management cannot resist the idea of creating more pay to play services.

Since TSMM is my favorite ride - I too was hoping it would drop to tier2 - bummer - because Star Wars or not - I’m not planning on 2 days at HS

I hadn't seen the news about the HS fast passes. That is awful. I hate Epcot's system too. You are forced to get FP's for things you don't even want to do.

Did anyone else see the news about the new Epcot "Brazil" pavilion? Not sure if it's old news or not. My daughter sent it to me the other day.

The loss of the service road between Fort Wilderness and the Lodge are making me rethink my February reservation. After the race last year, it took the disney bus almost an hour to get us back to the resort after the race. I'm not sure if the race caused a lot of closures and that was the problem or what? There were no alternate roads for the bus to take. I'm almost tempted to change reservations at the 7 month mark to another resort. Especially now that we are doing the challenge, we'll have to deal with it two mornings in a row. If we changed, I'm not sure what we would do. I guess a monorail resort would be helpful, or even SSR would be going in the opposite direction away from the race path. I just hate to give up my lodge reservation. :confused3

Being the obsessive planner that I am, a "new" trip may have sprung up in the last week. DD20 will be doing study abroad in the Spring of 2020 in Greece. My girls happened to notice that there is an Ironman race in Greece in April of 2020. Suddenly, I think we may be headed there over my spring break (plus some extra days). Of course the girls knew if they convinced their Dad by dangling this race in front of him, that we might actually sell him on this idea. Needless to say, we may actually fly into London or Paris (so much cheaper than Athens), then take a European flight from there to Athens. Well if we will be anywhere near Paris, I must go to Disneyland. Anyone have any recent experience with Disneyland Paris. I've read several threads on using points there, but many are old and it seems that passes aren't included anymore. If you know anything about Paris at all, please share. I'll probably break down and start another thread on the boards, but you all are my people.

By the way, here's the link to the story about FastPass tier changes at DHS:

FastPass Tiers Changing at DHS

It does seem as though thought was not put into the tier bit at DHS. Although, this might be a way to entice folk to buy those Concierge level FastPasses which don't take into account tier, or park. Maybe they're looking at opening those up to more folk than just club level. This is where I put my bet. Modern Disney park management cannot resist the idea of creating more pay to play services.

I agree that longer term Disney will look to monetize the FP+ system as Universal has done. It must kill them to sit around that table and think "how did we ever make FastPass a FREE system?" :sad:

If you know anything about Paris at all, please share. I'll probably break down and start another thread on the boards, but you all are my people.

I've been to DL Paris but it was eons ago. We did stay at the DL hotel which literally is right at the entrance. I thought it was fun to visit and soooo interesting to see the differences. Beyond that my info is so old - Disney didn't even have control of the park at that time so you know it was awhile ago. lol

By the way, here's the link to the story about FastPass tier changes at DHS:

FastPass Tiers Changing at DHS

I agree that longer term Disney will look to monetize the FP+ system as Universal has done. It must kill them to sit around that table and think "how did we ever make FastPass a FREE system?" :sad:
That's the key term--monetize. Disney has to make a buck (because they barely turn a profit anymore). On another forum, the suggestion was made that they're doing this to drive people to the shows which hold more numbers in order to quell crowding at SWGE. I only buy that a little. It would also help to keep a few actual rides as Tier 2, as well, but they're not doing that. So, my prediction is that within a year of SWGE opening, Disney will provide a sweeping change to the FP system to encourage people to pay for premium FPs.

Am I bad that my first thought was to wonder why they had to put it there, right at the train garden? Yes, I'd rather have a train garden than a Pavilion that doesn't sound like it's going to have an attraction or ride. :rolleyes1

Too funny! Not sure what other real estate is available, but I do think Brazil was a good choice since South America is unrepresented at EPCOT. And of course, it will give many tour groups a chance to visit home! :)

I guess it will be like Japan or Italy where they just have some entertainment? Weird that they would add another attraction at France but have nothing at other countries.

On the other hand, I can see a new restaurant along the lines of Texas de Brazil would be a really big hit.

Too funny! Not sure what other real estate is available, but I do think Brazil was a good choice since South America is unrepresented at EPCOT. And of course, it will give many tour groups a chance to visit home! :)

On the other hand, I can see a new restaurant along the lines of Texas de Brazil would be a really big hit.

My comment to my daughter was, "Well all the Brazilian tour groups will have a place to hang out!"

Her comment to me was, "I hope there is a steak house involved." :)

I guess it will be like Japan or Italy where they just have some entertainment? Weird that they would add another attraction at France but have nothing at other countries.

There actually are several locations still available. The area on the otherside of Germany or the one next to that by the Outpost isn't quite as busy....and doesn't have the train garden. But, as usual, Disney did not ask me my opinion. :p

Here's a map done by Yesterland:

There actually are several locations still available. The area on the otherside of Germany or the one next to that by the Outpost isn't quite as busy....and doesn't have the train garden. But, as usual, Disney did not ask me my opinion. :p

Here's a map done by Yesterland:

View attachment 407200
I think the issue with the plots 3 & 2 is they have been converted as show staging for both Epcot Forever and the new permanent show (quite a bit of construction was done for those shows in that area). I think that is what you were referring to there. Also 6 no longer works because of the France expansion.

Though I do hope they move the trains somewhere; I feel like a spot could easily be found.

I hadn't seen the news about the HS fast passes. That is awful. I hate Epcot's system too. You are forced to get FP's for things you don't even want to do.

Did anyone else see the news about the new Epcot "Brazil" pavilion? Not sure if it's old news or not. My daughter sent it to me the other day.

The loss of the service road between Fort Wilderness and the Lodge are making me rethink my February reservation. After the race last year, it took the disney bus almost an hour to get us back to the resort after the race. I'm not sure if the race caused a lot of closures and that was the problem or what? There were no alternate roads for the bus to take. I'm almost tempted to change reservations at the 7 month mark to another resort. Especially now that we are doing the challenge, we'll have to deal with it two mornings in a row. If we changed, I'm not sure what we would do. I guess a monorail resort would be helpful, or even SSR would be going in the opposite direction away from the race path. I just hate to give up my lodge reservation. :confused3

Being the obsessive planner that I am, a "new" trip may have sprung up in the last week. DD20 will be doing study abroad in the Spring of 2020 in Greece. My girls happened to notice that there is an Ironman race in Greece in April of 2020. Suddenly, I think we may be headed there over my spring break (plus some extra days). Of course the girls knew if they convinced their Dad by dangling this race in front of him, that we might actually sell him on this idea. Needless to say, we may actually fly into London or Paris (so much cheaper than Athens), then take a European flight from there to Athens. Well if we will be anywhere near Paris, I must go to Disneyland. Anyone have any recent experience with Disneyland Paris. I've read several threads on using points there, but many are old and it seems that passes aren't included anymore. If you know anything about Paris at all, please share. I'll probably break down and start another thread on the boards, but you all are my people.

I am in Germany and DLP is my local park. So, I know plenty. But I have never used points there. It just does not seem to be worth it. The Disney hotels are all very expensive and some also rather basic. I still like them, but don’t expect the Sequoia Lodge for example to have the same standard as the WL. Rooms are smaller, service is more basic.

Recently we found decent room only rates on Expedia. Through Disney they force packages on you. However, you would need tickets anyway.

Midweek always is less crowded than weekends. But make sure to check for French school vacation and avoid those times.

I am happy to help with any questions!

I am in Germany and DLP is my local park. So, I know plenty. But I have never used points there. It just does not seem to be worth it. The Disney hotels are all very expensive and some also rather basic. I still like them, but don’t expect the Sequoia Lodge for example to have the same standard as the WL. Rooms are smaller, service is more basic.

Recently we found decent room only rates on Expedia. Through Disney they force packages on you. However, you would need tickets anyway.

Midweek always is less crowded than weekends. But make sure to check for French school vacation and avoid those times.

I am happy to help with any questions!
Thank you so much! Where would I look for French school vacations? Will 2 days be enough to see both parks? The consensus that I have read seems to be to not use points. We could possibly go March 29-31, or April 6-8. It looks like they haven't even opened the April dates for booking yet.

Thank you so much! Where would I look for French school vacations? Will 2 days be enough to see both parks? The consensus that I have read seems to be to not use points. We could possibly go March 29-31, or April 6-8. It looks like they haven't even opened the April dates for booking yet.

Definitely not April 6-8. That’s the week before Easter and nearly every European country is out of school then. The days in March should be fine. I just google French school holidays and there are plenty of websites with the info.

DLP often has offers for the packages at the hotels. They are different from country to country, but if you call the booking line you are usually able to book other country’s offers, too.

Depending on you budget, there are also some really good off site hotels that all have shuttles to the park. We stayed at these two hotels where you get far better hotel for less money:
https://www.relais-spa.com/uk/valdeurope/http://www.hotelelysee.com/mobile/marne-la-vallee.html
Of the Disney hotels I would recommend the Newport Bay Club. This was most recently refurbished and is very nice. The Disneyland Hotel is beautiful, but the prices are crazy in my opinion. It is also a bit dated, it will get a total refresh soon. You can always plan a meal there or have a drink at the beautiful hotel bar to check it out.

2 days are fine, especially since the Studios will have parts closed for the big expansion they are planning.

This VWL path closure is a real bummer - the whole point of the place for us is that you can walk in wilderness (sort of) and not just walk around a car park- we already have that scenario at Animal Kingdom. It seems that Disney have very little regard for the walkers and runners amongst us, it seems the Cresent Lake and OKW/ SSR are now the only options. I cancelled my BRV stay for this reason alone.
Yes you can use treadmills, but myself and my wife struggled to get on them at AKV last year. We witnessed people literally running up and down the car park. Not for us.
I fear this path to Fort Wilderness will never be brought back and we will never stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter