VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I may not be the first, but let me be one of the most vocal to say :welcome: home!! Wow! 500 points! That's awesome, and at some point with that many points, I'd be tempted to save up a couple of years and do a cabin one year. If you do that, just remember who suggested it first (in case you want visitors)! Congrats and enjoy your VWL contract and the holidays at the most beautifully decorated resort!
I'll keep you apprised of our plans Sleepydog!!! Thanks for the big welcome. We are extremely excited.

Silver lining was that we found an even better contract and deal. Seller accepted our offer and a couple weeks later we passed ROFR. We are now the proud new owners of 500 BRV/VWL points and looking forward to booking a stay just after Christmas 2020. Thanks again for your help back in September and we are looking forward to life as a couple of VWL Groupies :)

Quest....that is HUGE news! And 500 points....wow!!! :thumbsup2

And I won't be the first, but a hearty wish for you!

1.6 Welcome Home.jpg

Good evening all. Well it's been almost six weeks since I last posted. We had put in an offer on a BRV contract and were waiting patiently for the seller to respond only to find out they had pulled the contract from the market without informing the broker. Oh, well...it was back to the drawing board. Silver lining was that we found an even better contract and deal. Seller accepted our offer and a couple weeks later we passed ROFR. We are now the proud new owners of 500 BRV/VWL points and looking forward to booking a stay just after Christmas 2020. Thanks again for your help back in September and we are looking forward to life as a couple of VWL Groupies :)

Congratulations and :welcome:to the BEST GROUP(ies) online!

Welcome to the groupies Quest!!
You picked a great place to call home:-)

Quiet on our thread the last 24+ hours. In fact, I notice the entire DIS seems slower of late. Anyway, we're counting the days to our next trip home. How many, you ask? 60. FPs tomorrow morning. Dining is mostly set, not that we do a lot of planning for that aspect. We aren't big breakfast types, mostly coffee and share a pastry, though sometimes we'll do something like 1900 PF. We have a general schedule for lunch and dinner, but we rarely try for the most popular venues, and for the former, we make us of mobile ordering. We also avail ourselves of DS quite a bit, and many of those restaurants are available on Open Table which we use quite frequently. At any rate, we'll be all set after tomorrow morning. Our only real issue is with Disney's decision to make pretty much every decent ride at DHS a top-tier FP. Frankly, that stinks. That's okay, we'll enjoy the holiday vibe at all the various parks and our home resort, in particular. Rides are becoming less important the less young we become, especially since Disney hasn't put in many new ones the past decade plus. They are beginning to do so, at least it would appear. Oh, and we're going to do a carriage ride over in FW and see all those marvelous and fun decorations the RVers put on display. Did I mention only 60 days? pirate:

Happy Sunday Groupie Friends! I am headed to Florida tomorrow to visit my sister, but I see @Granny and @twinklebug are headed to the world soon!!

Safe travels, and please check in early and often!:yay:
Thanks! Will try to now that I have my account logged into the DIS on Safari.
We're going to our first MNSSHP next Sunday, had planned for Thursday but it was the first to sell out this week. I suspect with all the native mousers in the area with their party passes every night both this and next week will be full to the brim with trick-or-treaters.

So, my countdown finally says....0 days! We are heading to the airport in a couple of hours. Very much looking forward to the F&W Festival which we haven't attended in four years! I'll raise a glass of grapefruit beer to my Groupie friends! :drinking1

So, my countdown finally says....0 days! We are heading to the airport in a couple of hours. Very much looking forward to the F&W Festival which we haven't attended in four years! I'll raise a glass of grapefruit beer to my Groupie friends! :drinking1
Have a marvelous time!

Jerry and I just got back - stayed at Beach Club which worked out well for F&W access. Rode the gondolas as well. I was ok on them until we stopped over water near Caribbean Beach - even though it was only @30 seconds - really made me nervous! We also did the DVC owner walk thru of Riviera - rooms are gorgeous- but points chart and location are putting the damper on us buying there. Guess I’ll just try to use my cheap OKW points to stay there in May one of these years... that’s the only ‘slow’ DVC times we travel.

Have a great time Tom!

So...Here's a short trip update from arrival day for our current trip.

After a fairly uneventful Southwest Airlines trip we arrived at the Orlando airport about 4:30 pm. The check-in lines to get into the Magical Express bus lines were a mess...just not moving at all as so many people were showing up without any documents or magic bands. They had four lines open, and none were moving very quickly and about 20 people deep in each line. Then one of the ME check-in CM's closes her line and walks away. So now there's about 25-30 in each line and they are moving slowly. All told, it took about 40 minutes just to wait in that line and get to the part where we wait for a bus. After that, it was fairly straightforward, though they went to 4 resorts on our bus and our resort (SSR) was the last. So from the time we got off the plane until we arrived at SSR it was about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

I haven't taken any pictures yet but I am happy with our room (thanks to DDad and Di's suggestions on room location). It is not a refurbished room, so we still have the old carpet and kitchen cabinets with a green/blue hue. We haven't stayed at SSR for several years, and I forgot about the layout of the 1BR. First of all, it seems like the smallest 1BR DVC villa that I can ever recall. The front hallway has the lock-off door, and there is no closet there. The kitchen/dining/family room seem pretty similar but just seem a little smaller than other similar 1BR living areas (BWV/VWL/BCV). And the television in the entertainment center in the family room seems positively archaic...probably a 40" screen which is plenty big enough but pales in comparison with the newer television screens they are putting in villas. And the master bedroom closet (the only place to hang clothes in the entire villa) is not a walk-in...just a pretty standard hotel sized closet. The drawers in the bedroom dresser are much smaller than other resorts.

I like the decor. The couch, the dining room bench, the chairs, drapes and the carpet all have some personality in the decorations...they remind me somewhat of the original VWL decor. And we still have overhead fans in the family room and master bedroom...which I like just to keep the air moving.

My biggest issue with SSR on Day 1 is that for some reason they refuse to put in any directional signage on the grounds. They have resort maps every 100 yards with a big "you are here" dot on it, but I found the maps extremely confusing and in some cases downright misleading. My wife and I wandered around quite a bit just trying to find the Grandstand section which is actually just across the street from the drive-up registration area...but the map was very misleading and of course Disney just can't put in any directional signs that say "Grandstand ->" or something like that. I felt like Henry Fonda wandering through the woods in "On Golden Pond"! Really, it took us quite a while to find our building. And once we found it, do you think they could post some numbers outside of it so we could see if we have the right building? Nope, not a single sign. We had to walk up to the building and look for some room numbers to help us figure out if we were in the right place. Needless to say, after a travel day and the ME experience, I wasn't really liking the lack of signs or even someone to help with directions.

We had dinner at Artist's Palette which truly is what counter service should look like at all the resorts. Good selection, and they combine the gift store (and dry goods & refrigerated food) with the counter service food to make it easy to order and pick up some items to bring back to the room.

Tomorrow, I promise not to be crabby. But just as I am making that vow, I notice that the long range forecast predicts at least a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms for 8 of the days of our 9 day trip. But hey, we're in the happiest place on Earth, right?

Tomorrow we're heading over to DHS to see the Star Wars land and have a reservation at Oga's Cantina. After that we'll be winging it for the rest of the day.

I'll try to get some pictures as I go along. I know we'll have a great trip despite the kick-off challenges. I know I'm ready to go sample a little food & wine this week! :)

Last edited:
Ditto, only today not yesterday.
Looking forward to stepping off the plane and melting in the FL heat. Should be 91 today.

I have my fingers crossed that those M.E. lines are operating better later today. If not I may sent out unhappy tweets to Mear's client, Disney. I hate to use my first tweet ever on a complaint, but I hear those get attention to issues asap and will hopefully clear up the problems for those that follow us.

Last edited:
Hi Granny!

Sounds like a frustrating start, but I am sure your trip will be magical, and all the first day aggravations will fade for sure!

I know during our one stay at SSR I felt it was too big and spread out, and found it challenging to get around. In fairness, only one stay isn’t a true test, and I believe it was only a 2 night last minute add on prior to moving on to another resort. I agree with you on Artist’s Palette, great selection and setup.

I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip! Say hello to Mrs. Granny!:wave:

Granny - Glad the Artist Palette was satisfying. It is what I had hoped for when they announced Roaring Fork was to be upgraded. But no. And as I've said before, I really feel like Roaring Fork was downgraded. Too bad for me. But enjoy the sunshine that comes from within when in The World!

18 more sleeps for me; 16 for DiznyDi!

Granny - Glad the Artist Palette was satisfying. It is what I had hoped for when they announced Roaring Fork was to be upgraded. But no. And as I've said before, I really feel like Roaring Fork was downgraded. Too bad for me. But enjoy the sunshine that comes from within when in The World!

18 more sleeps for me; 16 for DiznyDi!
I believe we have an upcoming trip to SSR in March, and we only at at Artist Palette once many years ago--have no recollection whatsoever. We'll give it a shot while there. I agree that SSR is sprawling, and I don't mind that too much but as Granny said, it's quite confusing without good signage and easily visible room numbers and building numbers. It's not like some well-themed signs would alter the feel of SSR; in fact, I think it could add ambiance. As for RF, I've been vocal about its shortcomings ever since it re-opened. What a letdown for a deluxe resort. And since it's been gloomy here for the past 36 hours (and next 12 or so), I will add that I don't believe the powers that are put much effort or foresight into their building/refurb during CC construction. No good TS at WL. No Signature. And while we like GP just fine, it's a weird QS/TS setup that basically feels like a pool bar. You see nice restaurants at places like Coronado, Caribbean, et. al., and it just makes one wonder what the heck were the planners thinking when they reduced a deluxe resort to a sub-standard QS, a pool bar, an all-you-care-to-eat BBQ spot, and an expensive prix-fixe character meal. Where are the rest of us who don't want a character dinner, buffet, or bar grill supposed to eat on property? We won't. We'll go elsewhere.

Okay, I'm done. pirate: We're under 60 days now and counting. . .

It's amazing what a decent night of sleep can do for an attitude! The sun is shining brightly (so far) and we wake up in another day at WDW. :)

I have some room pix to share. The first is from our balcony. The view is mostly of a tree growing right in front of our balcony, but if you go over to the left side you find an opening to the view of the golf course.

SSR Room 8703 View.jpg

And as I said, there are design elements that remind me of how Disney used to decorate the villas. There is the standard U-shaped kitchen with the green cabinets...

SSR Kitchen.jpg

And the television that seems so tiny compared to what they are putting in villas now. And you can see the towel animal they left for us on the shelf...that is also something we haven't seen for a few years now.

SSR TV.jpg

Here's the sofa in the living room, and you can see the carpet design as well. This harkens back to when DVC room designers weren't afraid of color and patterns!

SSR Living Room before refurb.jpg

Here's a close up of the lamp in the corner...well themed!

SSR Lamp.jpg

And one more picture that includes the curtains...which again remind me of the old VWL design with lots of color and themed designs. I also like the "Maximus" pillows on the couch to remind us that yes, we are at WDW!

SSR Living Room w drapes.jpg

We will head over to DHS this afternoon and look forward to exploring SSR a little more. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter