VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I read that the wonders of the lodge tour is at 9 am on wed and sat? Is that still the case?

Sleepy thank you so much for your trip report. The wines at AKL are amazing. I truly enjoy a nice glass of wine and Kick myself for not shipping some home. It’s been 5 years since we stayed there and I still think of how good it was. I think this trip I will make the time to go over and have some and ship some home.
If you have a wine store anywhere near you, they should have some S. African wines, as it's a mid-major in terms of growing region in the world. I used to own a wine store, and what I admired about SA wines were their uniqueness. In the wine biz, the distinct tastes for each region, sub-region, and even particular districts derive from terroir. I can usually tell a S. African red, for example, by the subtle hint of tar (that's not a pejorative term) and dark berry. Anyway, it might be easier for you to have some shipped after all that. lol Stellenbosch and Western Cape are my favorite regions with two vintner names that jump out to me: Speir and Graham Beck, both which have been sold at Disney.

Time to relax. Got my December stay for Dec 1-7 over at WL's sister resort: Jambo.

It was very difficult this year with all 4 categories of studios being booked up. I had to stalk the system waiting for walkers to release the days I needed. Never had to do that before. It's time for Disney to put a stop to walking, this is nuts. I have them all booked as individual days because I was willing to take almost anything that opened up in 3 of the 4 categories. Lucked out on a few days.

Some poor cast member is going to get the headache of combining these when I've cemented my plans with family. Pretty sure no arms will need to be twisted for me to have some company particularly since a few days include club level.

Last edited:

And Sleepy has been kind enough to add my December reservation to the front page...December 6-12. I think some Groupie meets are shaping up! 🎅

And Sleepy has been kind enough to add my December reservation to the front page...December 6-12. I think some Groupie meets are shaping up! 🎅
Yeah, all you Groupies who will get to the World this year, feel free to drop me a note to add you to Page 1. So far, we're pretty sparse for 2020 comparatively. . .

Yeah, all you Groupies who will get to the World this year, feel free to drop me a note to add you to Page 1. So far, we're pretty sparse for 2020 comparatively. . .

Hmm... Looks like I'll be needing to set up a May trip too :rotfl2: You telling me something Sleepy?

Just pulling your leg a bit, Thank you for adding me! (could you kindly move my reservation down to December?)

Now Page 1 is looking better! Please ensure I've updated you correctly. . .I've been known to make a mistake or two every other year or so. . .:rolleyes1

In other news, Luv was on at 9 a.m. this morning, promptly--heck, waiting breathlessly an hour before then--and hit the link to sign up for Member Madness (or whatever the name is) for March 3. She was 4456 in the cue. :crazy2: However, 45 minutes later she was confirmed. Have since found a thread where people weren't able to get on until hours later, and they had no queue and still got a confirmation. lol I haven't been brave enough to let Luv know yet. . .

For those of you who are subscribed to Disney+ streaming service, I wanted to share that there is some really good original programming on the site.

While "The Mandalorian" is getting most of the publicity, I have found some really good documentaries for those who are Disney history buffs.

"The Imagineers" is a really good series with a back room view of the birth and history of the Disney Imagineers. This focuses a lot on the parks, including international.

"Waking Sleeping Beauty" is an inside look at the struggles Disney had with animation for many years and how it was reborn. Lots of background info on the leaders of Disney during rocky times.

"Frank and Ollie" is the story of animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, two of the famous "Nine Old Men". I haven't seen it yet but I hear it is good.

What I really like about these is that they are good documentaries with plenty of historic, behind the scenes footage. And surprisingly, they don't gloss over the issues, politics, egos and personalities that created some pretty wild ups and downs for the creative side of the company. I kind of expected some softball commentary and glossing over the issues, but the documentaries do a good job of bringing out the good along with the issues.

And in May they will bring in "The Boys: The Sherman Bros. Story." I understand that is is also very well done and doesn't pull any punches.

Just wanted to share some of the content I've found on the service. I applaud Disney for streaming content that doesn't always paint them in a very flattering light.

For those of you who are subscribed to Disney+ streaming service, I wanted to share that there is some really good original programming on the site.

While "The Mandalorian" is getting most of the publicity, I have found some really good documentaries for those who are Disney history buffs.

"The Imagineers" is a really good series with a back room view of the birth and history of the Disney Imagineers. This focuses a lot on the parks, including international.

"Waking Sleeping Beauty" is an inside look at the struggles Disney had with animation for many years and how it was reborn. Lots of background info on the leaders of Disney during rocky times.

"Frank and Ollie" is the story of animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, two of the famous "Nine Old Men". I haven't seen it yet but I hear it is good.

What I really like about these is that they are good documentaries with plenty of historic, behind the scenes footage. And surprisingly, they don't gloss over the issues, politics, egos and personalities that created some pretty wild ups and downs for the creative side of the company. I kind of expected some softball commentary and glossing over the issues, but the documentaries do a good job of bringing out the good along with the issues.

And in May they will bring in "The Boys: The Sherman Bros. Story." I understand that is is also very well done and doesn't pull any punches.

Just wanted to share some of the content I've found on the service. I applaud Disney for streaming content that doesn't always paint them in a very flattering light.
We've watched THE MANDALORIAN and THE IMAGINEERING STORY are both good in their own ways. The former is told in quick hitting, shorter episodes (think 35-40 minutes) that focuses on a particular plot line that gets resolved each episode while still hewing to a larger tale as yet to unfold. The first 2-3 episodes were okay, but they got better as we went along. The latter is an amazing show (first pointed out by JT, I believe), and I couldn't agree with Granny more. It's not exactly critical of Disney, but it certainly doesn't coddle the company, either. We loved the archival footage that we'd never seen before--the documentarian is the granddaughter of the great Ub Iwerks and got access to scores of vaults of previously unreleased material. Those video clips alone are worth watching the show. We look forward to seeing the other docs as well.

Wanted to introduce myself, as I realized I hadn't yet! We became owners at VWL/BRV last year, though we've wanted to own here forever! Owners at last! This was our honeymoon resort back in 2001 and is near and dear to our heart. We love National Parks almost as much as we love Disney, so the Wilderness Lodge was always perfect for us.

Wanted to introduce myself, as I realized I hadn't yet! We became owners at VWL/BRV last year, though we've wanted to own here forever! Owners at last! This was our honeymoon resort back in 2001 and is near and dear to our heart. We love National Parks almost as much as we love Disney, so the Wilderness Lodge was always perfect for us.
:welcome:, Lorana!! You've got quite a history at Disney based on the notes after your signature. I understand (heck, we all do here) your affinity for WL and VWL (you've likely noticed most of us prefer VWL vice BRV) as my wife and I were married there in 2013. We actually met at the WL for the first time on the beach, now Geyser Point. There is some very emotional attachments to WL/VWL with our Groupies, and it's wonderful that you've become members there recently.

As with anyone, all it takes to be a Groupie is a love of the Lodge, and you certainly appear to have that. So, you're a Groupie now! Feel free to jump in and join our discussions, share family news, exult in successes, and even seek solace when life hasn't been kind. We're a family here, and that's been the biggest factor in one of the (if not THE) longest, continuously running DVC thread on the DIS. If you're interested, I'll be more than happy to add your trips (parks, DCL, and even non-Disney) to Page 1 if you like. Just let me know.

The most amazing part of the Lodge is the theming, as you well know. And there are sounds, music, and even smells that make it a home for us and many other. May you be blessed by many years of exceptional vacations and family moments at WL--no better place to be during the holidays. Again, welcome, and we look forward to hearing from you through the years.

To quote Minnie Pearl - HOWDY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter