VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Wanted to introduce myself, as I realized I hadn't yet! We became owners at VWL/BRV last year, though we've wanted to own here forever! Owners at last! This was our honeymoon resort back in 2001 and is near and dear to our heart. We love National Parks almost as much as we love Disney, so the Wilderness Lodge was always perfect for us.

Hi Michelle! Welcome, and thanks for dropping in to introduce yourself! :)

You sound like a veteran VWL Groupie already. And speaking of 2001, that was the year we purchased our VWL contract with DVC. So overall, it was a very good year! :thumbsup2

Feel free to stick around if you like, and drop in with anything you want to share. While we all have a common love of Wilderness Lodge here, we are also open to general comments about Disney parks or other things (see my post above about Disney+ for example). We love to hear others experiences about Wilderness Lodge, VWL or the parks. Sometimes we bemoan changes...and Wilderness Lodge has probably had more changes to its campus than any DVC venue. But lots of times we also share what we enjoy on a particular trip.

And many of us have met in the real world if our vacation plans happen to coincide. As you can see, early December is a favorite time and several of us have already posted their vacation plans for that time this year. So another Groupie meet is definitely in store at the Iron Spike room (can you tell we don't like them changing names?) or the Top of the World lounge at BLT. Hope you can join us sometime if that works for you!

Thank you for the warm welcome! And man am I wishing I had joined DVC when you did! :-)

I am a veteran, but I admit I went a number of years without posting on the boards until we finally got serious - and had the money - to buy into DVC at last.

Our 20th anniversary is next year, so we’ve got some big plans in the work! I’m hoping to stay in a Copper Creek Cabin for part of it. I know it’s a lot of points, but I love the style of the cabins, and 20 years is a reason to splurge. :-)

A good friend of ours is planning a birthday celebration group trip to Disney right before Christmas 2020 to celebrate their 50th birthday, so we plan I’m heading down then. Likely staying at our home resort, BRV, though we’ve been contemplating seeing if we can get into RIV, BCV, or BWV as most of the people going will be staying at Caribbean Beach, and primarily visiting Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Yes! Loving the sunshine here in MA, it's long overdue. Saw it peek out for a few moments yesterday and had no idea what I was looking at :)

My dad is coming home from the nursing home today. Awesome weather for it. He's not any better, should be on hospice, but he will be happier at home providing we can make sure mom has the help she needs with him.

---------------------
I did the math for December and found that my expense in dues come to about $83/room per day for the trip. Not bad in that I had it paid off years ago. Love DVC, I just worry about how they'll continue to cheapen our experience. AKV already has severe bell services problems, they need more attentive help there, not less.

Welcome Lorana!

I will be joining the collection of December 2020 travellers with a stay Nov 30 - Dec 9th 2020 in a 1 bdrm value villa at AKV Jambo. And I am down to 29 days until my vWL (Boulder Ridge) 9Feb - 21 Feb and AVK Savanna view Feb 21-23rd.

With retirement end April, this is looking to be a great year.

Yes! Loving the sunshine here in MA, it's long overdue. Saw it peek out for a few moments yesterday and had no idea what I was looking at :)

My dad is coming home from the nursing home today. Awesome weather for it. He's not any better, should be on hospice, but he will be happier at home providing we can make sure mom has the help she needs with him.

---------------------
I did the math for December and found that my expense in dues come to about $83/room per day for the trip. Not bad in that I had it paid off years ago. Love DVC, I just worry about how they'll continue to cheapen our experience. AKV already has severe bell services problems, they need more attentive help there, not less.
So sorry to hear about your Dad. You are right he will be much happier at home. My experience with Hospice is they will do a wonderful job to help him and your mom. Prayers for your whole family.

---------------------
:grouphug: For you family during this hard time.

Hi Groupies! I haven’t even lurked in ages but I just wanted to say Hi!

We were going to do a Universal trip 1-17 - 1-21 just to be different, but I called an audible and we are just going to go to Cocoa Beach and do the Space Center one day instead. Somehow the idea of attacking an unknown theme park (to us) just seemed exhausting. Almost flipped into a 3 night on the Dream but then the dog got pancreatitis and before you knew it I was out $1000 + . So, saving a few bucks too.

Meanwhile, we were planning on a March trip to VGC , but our waitlist hasn’t come through so now I have to run the numbers for switching a flight from California to Florida (and booking SSR) verses keeping the flight and booking a hotel in California ....:eek: I can’t imagine the taxes and resort fees issue.....

Anyways, I love reading everyone’s reviews, insights, & comments!

Hope everyone has a great week!

So sorry to hear about your Dad. You are right he will be much happier at home. My experience with Hospice is they will do a wonderful job to help him and your mom. Prayers for your whole family.
:grouphug: For you family during this hard time.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you all :love:
My dad is so much happier to be home, falling asleep in his own leather rocker, wandering about and chuckles to himself when asked if he is happy.

Cindy
Prayers and hugs to you and your family. So glad your Dad can be home, where his heart is:grouphug:

but I called an audible and we are just going to go to Cocoa Beach and do the Space Center one day instead.
Hey Ron
We were fortunate enough to make a trip to the Space Center many moons ago(pun intended)and really enjoyed it. One thing that vividly stands out in my mind to this day about our day there, there is an area, maybe a cafeteria, we walked under a Saturn rocket that was detached. And I remember how baffled and amazed I was at the enormity of the thing, and thinking how in the world did they get this thing off the ground, let alone into space!! Be sure to check it out!!

Hello & happy new year groupie friends! Remember me? It's been so, so long. I should remove my moose ears in shame. Hope you're all doing well & had a wonderful holiday season.

I made it back to stay at our beloved home early in Dec. This was my first Dec. stay since pre construction. Can't say I still don't miss some things, but the overall magic is still there. We're planning a family trip for this Dec. over Christmas. I just can't get away from the school schedule! :scared: One more year, but that doesn't help for this year. This year the earliest we can get there is 12/20. To complicate it further now that the boys are men they've requested their own beds. DS2 doesn't want to sleep on the blow up bed anymore. Can't say I blame him, but this will be my first time trying to get a 2 BR. Of course I don't have enough points in either membership to book a complete stay so coming to the experts for advice.

I spoke to MS earlier. Not sure I agree with his advice. What I want is 12/20-27. I can transfer some points from my Feb. UY to April, but I still won't have enough for the full stay. What's going to be harder to get in a 2 BR? Beginning or end of the trip? If I transfer some points I have enough to book 12/22-27 with April. I would book 20-22 with Feb. MS told me to book 12/20-25 then call on 21st (they're closed 1/20) transfer enough points to cover 12/25 then book 12/26 with Feb UY. I'm not so sure about this advice. It seems very risky to me to not have 12/25 booked. I miss the days of booking 1 BRs. So much easier.

So what do you think? Book as many consecutive nights as I can at the beginning of the trip or the end of the trip? Appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks!

Hi Julie! :wave2: Can't really offer any advice for your trip, but wanted to just let you know that DizniDi & I say "Hi".

Thank you so much for the thoughts JT. It's hard seeing our parents age.

Julie! So gad to see you, I hope all is well.

I have just an average sized contract I have to be creative to make it work as everyone wants their own bed these days. To stretch my points I book double studios for the kids and I. I still prefer longer or more trips over larger rooms.

Are you open to looking into other resorts when the 7 month window hits? If so, I recommend the 1 br units at Kidani. The living room areas have a pull out sofa and a chair that converts into a bed (I hear it is fairly comfortable). There is also a second full bathroom in these units. (Note, Jambo 1brs are more traditionally designed aned have neither the chair nor the second bathroom.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter