VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We are set to go to VGF for August 17th-26th. I was wondering how Disney would proceed and am happy they seem to care about their DVC members. I know part of it is because they have to but I will still take it and see the positive in it.

The main change you will see at Boardwalk is the big, honking Skyliner that drops off passengers at the International Gate to Epcot. It also heads over to DHS (among other destinations), so you will likely be able to use that while there.

Have a good trip!

😡😭

Trying to contact Member Services this AM....the line has been busy for hours! I can honestly say I’ve never gotten a busy signal before. Do you think members are trying to cancel, or book?

Hi Groupies, just checking in. Yep, Minneapolis is burning. The officer will likely get 40 years, but the riots last night were ugly. Even saw looters steal stuff from a person in a disability scooter on video. Protests I support, but when they turn into riots I have zero tolerance.

Is anybody going this summer and going to get heatstroke wearing a mask in the Florida heat?

I recognize several of those faces!! None are mine however. :goodvibes
Trying to contact Member Services this AM....the line has been busy for hours! I can honestly say I’ve never gotten a busy signal before. Do you think members are trying to cancel, or book?
Same here - been trying for 2 days - still getting a busy signal...

Same here - been trying for 2 days - still getting a busy signal...

Right after I posted, I did get through, and waited 42 minutes to speak with someone....the automated message estimated a 40 minute wait. I didn’t mind waiting since I was able to continue working while I waited.

Right after I posted, I did get through, and waited 42 minutes to speak with someone....the automated message estimated a 40 minute wait. I didn’t mind waiting since I was able to continue working while I waited.

I called twice today. Wait time the second round was double what they estimated. :faint: I'm exhausted and going to pour a glass of wine.

I still haven’t been able to get thru - will try again tomorrow

I redialed a lot. Then took a break and dialed again. It was kind of surprising when it went thru! And then the messages came so slowly I wasn't certain I was still connected.

So, you sent us the crappy weather. pirate: We had 6"+ rain a few days ago, and now the remnants of the latest tropical depression that popped up over SC is hitting us tonight through tomorrow with another 2" or more. Some places near us had over 11" during the last rain event. We are also sitting 10-15 degrees cooler than normal over the last several weeks with an exception day here and there.

As for DCL, I lived in Alaska for four years, and obviously while weather patterns for any given time are unpredictable, I will say that as a general rule, weather in Alaska is slightly better in August than in May. In May, the last vestiges of "sprinter" (my term for winter and spring combined) are going away, while in August, there are generally more warmer, nicer days left to come. Plus, in May, all the flowers, shrubs, etc. aren't yet in full bloom, and AK in the summer can shock you with how much color there is with various flora. That will still be around in August. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Sleepydog,

Thank you so much for our reply.

I don't think we are responsible for your tropical depression, being that we are north of you, but perhaps we scared Mother Nature south to come for a visit ;-) She's certainly been abdicating her responsibilities around here for a while. Within the next week we are going down to unseasonably cold temperatures again... *shaking head*

Thank you for the advice re: Alaska. I like your "sprinter" term and totally understand it. We are definitely leaning more and more toward August. I read what you said to my sister and her question for you is:

"what about the BUGS ?????????????????????????????"

I believe she is particularly concerned about the biting variety as she is a human mosquito and black fly magnet (those are what we have around here; also ticks but we just avoid places that have ticks when possible as they carry Lyme here now) - if there are any around they WILL find her even if they ignore everyone else; and unfortunately she has an exaggerated reaction to their bites.

(itinerary: Sea, Dawes Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sea)

SW

Sleepydog,

Thank you so much for our reply.

I don't think we are responsible for your tropical depression, being that we are north of you, but perhaps we scared Mother Nature south to come for a visit ;-) She's certainly been abdicating her responsibilities around here for a while. Within the next week we are going down to unseasonably cold temperatures again... *shaking head*

Thank you for the advice re: Alaska. I like your "sprinter" term and totally understand it. We are definitely leaning more and more toward August. I read what you said to my sister and her question for you is:

"what about the BUGS ?????????????????????????????"

I believe she is particularly concerned about the biting variety as she is a human mosquito and black fly magnet (those are what we have around here; also ticks but we just avoid places that have ticks when possible as they carry Lyme here now) - if there are any around they WILL find her even if they ignore everyone else; and unfortunately she has an exaggerated reaction to their bites.

(itinerary: Sea, Dawes Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sea)

SW
I need a scapegoat for the weather, and you're it, sister. Sorry. ;)

Bugs. I have lived in 10 states (including TX, LA, VA, and MD) and visited all but two states (VT and NH), and I can unequivocally state that Alaska has the worst mosquito population of any of them. That being said, I wouldn't think you'll have any issues on board, certainly not while sailing. Now, at any given port if you get off the ship, you may encounter some, though generally they aren't bad in town or city streets. Now, if you plan any excursions that take you outside city limits into more natural areas, then I'd wear repellent. Unless you enter an area likely to have swarms of them--bogs, wet zones, etc.--you should be okay. However, I suspect the actual vendors or companies running the excursions would be prepared for anything you face. If you only get off to walk around, say, Juneau, I don't think you'll have any issues. Once again, however, it wouldn't hurt to take some repellent and use a little of it.

Here are a few examples regarding my suggestions above. If I walked around Anchorage during the summer, I rarely noticed any. Same with the smaller town center of Eagle River about 10 minutes outside of Anchorage. I lived in a subdivision that was less than a five-minute drive from the Eagle River town center, but when I mowed, I made sure to wear repellent as the mosquitoes were noticeable. About three miles from my house in the other direction is the Eagle River Nature Center where you can hike among other things. Around the small lake there, the mosquitoes could be dense. By and large, I don't believe you'll have an issue as, obviously, all the ports of call are on the water, and the prevailing breezes and suburban nature of the towns will push most of those biters farther inland. As for other bugs, no. The cold weather does a number on most of them, so you won't see much else I wouldn't think. Keep in mind, that on any given day, you might also need to be long pants and a jacket, so that will help, too.

Hey all! I was talking with Stopher earlier and we talked about the meet up we had at the Whispering Canyon Cafe way back in December of 2011. He had some pictures and he said I could share them on here. If you are in the picture maybe you can comment and say who you are. View attachment 497610

My wife and I are the two farthest to the right in this picture. Also in the picture I recognize Twokats, Princess Kati, Dizny Di and DiznyDad and Stopher. Quite the gathering! :)

I need a scapegoat for the weather, and you're it, sister. Sorry. ;)

Bugs. I have lived in 10 states (including TX, LA, VA, and MD) and visited all but two states (VT and NH), and I can unequivocally state that Alaska has the worst mosquito population of any of them. That being said, I wouldn't think you'll have any issues on board, certainly not while sailing. Now, at any given port if you get off the ship, you may encounter some, though generally they aren't bad in town or city streets. Now, if you plan any excursions that take you outside city limits into more natural areas, then I'd wear repellent. Unless you enter an area likely to have swarms of them--bogs, wet zones, etc.--you should be okay. However, I suspect the actual vendors or companies running the excursions would be prepared for anything you face. If you only get off to walk around, say, Juneau, I don't think you'll have any issues. Once again, however, it wouldn't hurt to take some repellent and use a little of it.

Here are a few examples regarding my suggestions above. If I walked around Anchorage during the summer, I rarely noticed any. Same with the smaller town center of Eagle River about 10 minutes outside of Anchorage. I lived in a subdivision that was less than a five-minute drive from the Eagle River town center, but when I mowed, I made sure to wear repellent as the mosquitoes were noticeable. About three miles from my house in the other direction is the Eagle River Nature Center where you can hike among other things. Around the small lake there, the mosquitoes could be dense. By and large, I don't believe you'll have an issue as, obviously, all the ports of call are on the water, and the prevailing breezes and suburban nature of the towns will push most of those biters farther inland. As for other bugs, no. The cold weather does a number on most of them, so you won't see much else I wouldn't think. Keep in mind, that on any given day, you might also need to be long pants and a jacket, so that will help, too.

Come visit MN again Sleepy and walk thru a nice field of tall grass (or mow it) at dusk and we'll talk about mosquitos comparisons again. :rotfl:

I agree that onboard and in the cities there won't be much or any issues with bugs. Get out into some wild areas and have some spray and long sleeves and pants to be more comfortable. Only been to Alaska twice - once on land and once a cruise with shore excursions. Once in late May (the cruise) and once in July and we didn't have any problems with the bugs but either weren't out in the woods at night or when we were at Denali it was cold, even in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter