VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

SleepyMark! Sounds delicious (except for the oysters) I never have developed a taste for them. And the pictures are great also.

Me being a kid of the 70s and teen of the 80s, it was tough hearing this week that my all time favorite guitarist Eddie Van Halen lost his long battle with throat cancer earlier this week. He was 65, still very young IMO. 2020 has been a tough year on us all, this just adds to it for me personally. Not many celebrities have I ever had a desire to meet, but he was one guy I would have liked to had the chance to do so. His music will live on which to me is a great thing.

In better news, I am currently listening to a group, Voctave, who some of you may know. Never knew they existed until this AM. They are a spinoff of The Voices of Liberty and are just as awesome as we know them to be at Epcot. If you have Amazon Prime, check them out. Several albums(I know, this dates me)are on there and so far all are very good!

Jimmy, Dana is a huge VH fan, and was always listening to them when the boys were young. So sad. 😞

Good Sunday morning, Groupies! Below are two shots of the beach yesterday taken from the end of the short boardwalk at DHHIR's Beach House. My shift yesterday was at the Beach House, and while I didn't get but a few brief moments out at this spot (among other things we do is spray down the boardwalk and wipe off bird poo), this is the type view I got. It was off and on again stormy yesterday, so the waves were crashing a bit more powerfully than normal. Not a bad gig. Officially, I took these shots after my shift.

Jimmy, Dana is a huge VH fan, and was always listening to them when the boys were young. So sad. 😞
Corinne, please tell Dana he has good tastes in music! I too was a bigger fan of the early days. When Sammy Hagar came along I still enjoyed the music but the direction they started taking near the end of that stint was getting too political for my tastes. Fun tunes that make you feel good, that's my taste. Just like sports, for me at least, politics doesn't belong in music either. Sports, music, WDW. They all are supposed to be an escape from real life issues. Let the fantasy life return, 2020 has brought way more "real life" issues than I care to live with:rotfl2:

Last edited:
Lakegirl
Great trip report! Its interesting how the virus has changed the RF atmosphere, yet it sounds like GP hasn't missed a beat. I really like GP, so much to say, that it is one change that Im glad WL made. I miss the views of the beach/lake, but enjoy those views with a drink in hand from GP.
We were long time fans of Le Cellier until they went up on prices during the change to 2 table service credits. Haven't been back since, but our DD and DSIL went back in Dec and she loved it just as much as ever. I need to get over myself and return soon I guess. We make the Cheddar Cheese Soup at home every so often.
You mentioned Narcoosse's and how you used to love it, but this past time not so much. Its sad when a staple doesn't live up to your standards and all the sudden it leaves your pallete desiring more. Ohana was a go to for our family for many years as the way we started every WDW trip. The last few times we went, it just seemed like a lot of food, and not much reason to return. 50s PTC is one of those go too places for us, and on occasion, we found it lacking, so we would skip, then go back a trip or 2 later, and found it just as good as we remembered. Hope Narcoosses will be like that for you folks down the road.

SleepyDog, SleepyMark, Slydog, Maddog, TopDog, etc, etc.
Its good to be thought of in so many ways:teeth:
Looks like you guys have settled in nicely to the HH life. I am so happy for y'all!! I love that you have fresh seafood at your beckon call. I would be a happy camper myself with that. Love me some good seafood.

Hey groupies! Hope you are all having a great Sunday. So I have mentioned before that we are staying at BWV for our January trip but we want to eat at WC and check out all the changes at the Lodge. We are thinking the best day for this is the day we get in since we won't be going to a park that day. Our plane is scheduled to land at 1:10. What do you think is the earliest we should make our ADR for? Maybe 6 just to be sure?

Hey groupies! Hope you are all having a great Sunday. So I have mentioned before that we are staying at BWV for our January trip but we want to eat at WC and check out all the changes at the Lodge. We are thinking the best day for this is the day we get in since we won't be going to a park that day. Our plane is scheduled to land at 1:10. What do you think is the earliest we should make our ADR for? Maybe 6 just to be sure?
You can’t go wrong with 6, that will give you plenty of time.

I agree with Lakegirl, 6 would be great. You can always Uber over for a safety net if time is an issue

I agree with Lakegirl, 6 would be great. You can always Uber over for a safety net if time is an issue
Thanks JT. I figured at the least we would probably have to Uber it back but I wish they still had the Minnie vans right now. I guess we will play it by ear to see what will be the best way to get there. I'm hoping we have a good amount of time to explore as well as have dinner.

Hello Groupies!
I am busy catching up on 5 months of action on the thread, Covid has depressed my interest (that and lake season is finally coming to a close). Anyways, I am within a 7 day decision on whether or not to cancel December airfare for our upcoming 1BR at VWL and I was hoping for some insight from the group. Thing is, the points would expire at the end of January, so I’d have to try and rent them or take a point bath. While we don’t have anyone in a high risk group that would be part of the trip, it’s still a Covid world and so it’s annoying. I tried to call the lodge to see what’s even open but couldn’t get anyone to pick up, just nice music. Am I correct in assuming that all the restaurants are closed and likely no Christmas decorations would even be up? 😟 Is this planned trip even worth my time? I haven’t purchased park tickets because I just don’t even really understand what’s going on down there.
Any insights and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Groupies!
I am busy catching up on 5 months of action on the thread, Covid has depressed my interest (that and lake season is finally coming to a close). Anyways, I am within a 7 day decision on whether or not to cancel December airfare for our upcoming 1BR at VWL and I was hoping for some insight from the group. Thing is, the points would expire at the end of January, so I’d have to try and rent them or take a point bath. While we don’t have anyone in a high risk group that would be part of the trip, it’s still a Covid world and so it’s annoying. I tried to call the lodge to see what’s even open but couldn’t get anyone to pick up, just nice music. Am I correct in assuming that all the restaurants are closed and likely no Christmas decorations would even be up? 😟 Is this planned trip even worth my time? I haven’t purchased park tickets because I just don’t even really understand what’s going on down there.
Any insights and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
You have a booking and the points, as you say, would expire. Keep the reservation. Even if you don't do the parks, enjoy the relaxing parts such as the beauty of the Lodge. WCC, RF, and GP are all open. The pools are open. Disney Springs is open and needs no tickets or reservations. Christmas decorations will go up as planned, though timing is uncertain. If you're not keen on traveling during COVID, I fully understand. If you're willing to take all precautions and go to a place where the safety protocols are as stringent as any you're likely to find, I'd say stay the course. Best wishes with your decision!

Ron
Im with Sleepy on this one. I too am not a fan of going in the Covid world, mainly being forced to wear a mask. Its just me, not making fun of anyone wearing one on a regular basis, its personal health for me, asthmatic type issues make my throat burn after 10 mins with one on. But given your situation, with points and all, I'm not keen on giving them up, and renting them this late in the juncture may not work either. If we were in different circumstances, someone would rent them in a heartbeat. I say go, as Sleepy says, enjoy the resort(s) even of the parks are not on the radar. We got out of. town a few weeks back in the NC mountains and it did us a world of good. We have been escaping to the lake as well, and those long weekend trips were much needed.

We are debating a late Feb early Mar trip to the world, but waiting to see mask rules dissipate. Wishful thinking maybe. We shall see. Worst case scenario,I only get one trip out of my AP. We may pop down to DHHI to harass a certain Groupie we all know as SleepyDog:goodvibes

Ron
Im with Sleepy on this one. I too am not a fan of going in the Covid world, mainly being forced to wear a mask. Its just me, not making fun of anyone wearing one on a regular basis, its personal health for me, asthmatic type issues make my throat burn after 10 mins with one on. But given your situation, with points and all, I'm not keen on giving them up, and renting them this late in the juncture may not work either. If we were in different circumstances, someone would rent them in a heartbeat. I say go, as Sleepy says, enjoy the resort(s) even of the parks are not on the radar. We got out of. town a few weeks back in the NC mountains and it did us a world of good. We have been escaping to the lake as well, and those long weekend trips were much needed.

We are debating a late Feb early Mar trip to the world, but waiting to see mask rules dissipate. Wishful thinking maybe. We shall see. Worst case scenario,I only get one trip out of my AP. We may pop down to DHHI to harass a certain Groupie we all know as SleepyDog:goodvibes
Yes! Come to DHHIR! It's such a marvelous place, and we work hard to keep it cleaned and humming. And. I even have a name tag with my actual name on it now!

Me being a kid of the 70s and teen of the 80s, it was tough hearing this week that my all time favorite guitarist Eddie Van Halen lost his long battle with throat cancer earlier this week. He was 65, still very young IMO. 2020 has been a tough year on us all, this just adds to it for me personally. Not many celebrities have I ever had a desire to meet, but he was one guy I would have liked to had the chance to do so. His music will live on which to me is a great thing.

In better news, I am currently listening to a group, Voctave, who some of you may know. Never knew they existed until this AM. They are a spinoff of The Voices of Liberty and are just as awesome as we know them to be at Epcot. If you have Amazon Prime, check them out. Several albums(I know, this dates me)are on there and so far all are very good!
I am a big fan of Voctave and subscribe to them on YouTube. The Disney and Christmas music drew me in, but The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha just blew me away.
I have a lot of catching up to do. Can't wait to read everything I've missed.

You have a booking and the points, as you say, would expire. Keep the reservation. Even if you don't do the parks, enjoy the relaxing parts such as the beauty of the Lodge. WCC, RF, and GP are all open. The pools are open. Disney Springs is open and needs no tickets or reservations. Christmas decorations will go up as planned, though timing is uncertain. If you're not keen on traveling during COVID, I fully understand. If you're willing to take all precautions and go to a place where the safety protocols are as stringent as any you're likely to find, I'd say stay the course. Best wishes with your decision!
Ron

Yes,

Thank you both for your thoughts on the issue! Soul searching on this all weekend I suspect. So many pros & cons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!