VWL or OKW

Disneymagicfor4

Earning My Ears
I have a May trip 5/3-5/6 booked at VWL and then switching to BCV from 5/7-5/12. I have never stayed at VWL and my friends all say it is great but the photos look so dark. I have stayed at OKW and BCV and liked both of those. What is the attraction to VWL if I may ask - I have twins 5 yrs old. I am seriously thinking about trying to switch to OKW instead of VWL am I wrong?
Thanks,
KC

Well it's really personal opinion, but I'll give you my thoughts.

VWL is beautiful, no doubt about it. The lobby is so grand and the architecture and water features are amazing. That said, it's kind of a mountain lodge feel. Since I live in Colorado, although it is grand, it's not what I go to WDW for.

I prefer OKW over VWL because of it's "laid back" beachy resort feel. The rooms are much bigger than VWL and the views are amazing.

I'm sure you will get many opinions on both sides, this is my opinion. I would choose OKW, good luck with your decision.

Hey KC,
They are definitely 2 different themes going on but both are extraordinary to me.
OKW does have the bigger rooms and are done in lighter pastel colors. It's a guieter resort. WL, is a darker resort. They use dark woods, colors etc. but it is absolutely gorgeous. My kids love WL because we think the lodge itself is an attraction. There are water sports (boating, fishing etc) to take advantage of, the grounds around the lodge has a lot of things to look at and see. There is the geyser and I think a better pool (I haven't been to OKW since they revamped the main pool though).

To us OKW is a lot more relaxing so when our kids were younger ( my twins are 15 now) It was nice returning to a quiet place after a day of being wound up at the parks.
WL is more lively and definitely has the better location. ( I mean the thing is right across the street from MK).

We're heading back to WL this August (hooray). Either way you can't go wrong, they're both great resorts.

I live in a "wilderness lodge", so I prefer something that looks like Florida on my Disney vacations. :teeth:

The theming of the Wilderness Lodge is awesome. It's probably the best themed Disney resort on property. The lobby is incredible. It's an attraction in itself. If it rains, you can get a hidden Mickey Map from the front desk and wonder all over the lodge looking for hidden Mickeys. Very fun. Be sure to get a "facts of the lodge" sheet from the front desk. There are Indian cradle boards on display behind the checkin desk from different Indiana tribes. Also some authentic headdresses, etc., from various tribes out west on display at the lodge. Interesting stuff to see.

If you end up keeping your reservation, be sure to check out the Disney train cars on loan from the Disney family displayed in the lobby of the VWL (they are under glass). Walt Disney used to have a track in his back yard and he would actually ride these little train cars around the tracks in his back yard.

You are also close to the Magic Kingdom at the VWL. Just a boat or bus ride away. And you have Bay Lake at your fingertips. Watch the Electrical Water parade from the sandy beach in the evening, or take a boat out on Bay Lake. The Contemporary hotel is a boat ride away. The Contemporary has a great arcade.

Also, I've heard the first week of May is tight on availability. There's grad nights that week. You might not even be able to get anything else this late.

The participants for Grad Nights stay in the value resorts, not places like WL or OKW. My step-daughter's school participates in Grad Nights, and they go for economy.

I think availability is tight because it's so close to that date.

Disneymagicfor4 said:
What is the attraction to VWL if I may ask - I have twins 5 yrs old.

You grab a glass of orange juice and a piece of fruit in the morning, and go get on a nice boat and take a 15 min boat ride to MAGIC KINGDOM. You and the kids have a nice morning snack as you make your way to what will be their favorite park.

Kids get need a break, you simply take a 15 boat ride back to your room.

No hot crowded buses, no long waits in line, just a way cool boat ride to the park.

Part of the attraction of a deluxe disney resort is it's location.

1000th happy haunt said:
The participants for Grad Nights stay in the value resorts, not places like WL or OKW. My step-daughter's school participates in Grad Nights, and they go for economy.

I think availability is tight because it's so close to that date.

Did you see this thread where Disney has been moving/upgrading people from the values to DVC 1 bedrooms for that week:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1075514

You guys are great - thanks for all the input. We are going to keep the VWL ressies. I guess I was just being a little chicken about trying something new. It does sound really fun. I am looking forward to taking the kids to whispering canyon restaurant - I heard it is loads of fun for them.
Thanks again,
Kathy

Make sure you have a meal at Artist Point too! That's one of our all time favs in all of WDW!

We have stayed at both.. VWL in Nov. 2005...it was all decorated for Christmas and was beautiful . My kids (15 and 9) loved the lobby and all there is to look at . We ate at Whispering Canyon and loved it so much we went again in March while staying at BCV. BCV was perfect for our March vacation. They have a fantastic pool and the entire resort is beautiful . As of right now these are our two favorite DVC resorts!!!

Disneymagicfor4 said:
You guys are great - thanks for all the input. We are going to keep the VWL ressies. I guess I was just being a little chicken about trying something new. It does sound really fun. I am looking forward to taking the kids to whispering canyon restaurant - I heard it is loads of fun for them.
Thanks again,
Kathy
I'm glad you decided to give it a try. I really like the resort. I think you and the kiddos will too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter