Wait for a certain color vehicle?

As someone who used to work at Small world, I got asked by people to get a certain color boat. I would just have them wait to the side until said color boat came around, usually they didn’t care that it was a longer wait. I even had people ask at Peter Pan’s Flight, which was a little trickier because of the moving walkway but again, I just had people step to the side. My advice is that it doesn’t hurt to ask the CM loading you into the ride vehicle. It’s not much different than asking to be in the front row or back row.

It never hurts to ask. IMO, this is no different than people waiting for the front row on EE or the middle on Soarin etc... I remember DS22 practically sprinting to get the blue Dumbo. I can assure you, OP, allowing him to do so has had zero effect on his life beyond that moment. And, don't be embarrassed! This, too, will pass. Enjoy your trip!

Disney will generally try to honor such requests.

However, assuming there is no disability involved, this is a type of behavior that you might want to nip in the bud rather than rewarding the meltdowns by accommodating him.

Tomorrowland Speedway can sometimes be accomodating. A few weeks ago I was with a 10 year old that wanted a blue car. It just so happened we were stopped so we were next in line as the cars would be coming into the load area. The CM looked down the track, then assigned us to a number that would be a blue car.

I don't have any memory of the queue arrangement on the motor speedway, and there really aren't too many rides where you are assigned a color (probably on purpose). On Peter Pan, for example, you can definitely wait for a particular color without it causing a problem (or even surprising the cast members).

You just wait until you are next in line and politely request to wait for your preferred color and the cast member have you step aside while they seat those behind you.

We've also requested the the back rows on Pirates, Frozen, and Splash Mountain rides since my daughter has a full on phobia of getting splashed on rides.

This thread is 2 years old and OP already reported back from the trip. Why was this bumped?

I am a preschool teacher and this is how I’d handle it:

Tell him that every color means something special, and that you’ll tell him what it is as soon as he’s buckled in the car. Then, as soon as you’re buckled just make something up: “Awesome...we got yellow...the people who are the bravest get the yellow car!!” By the time the car takes off he’ll probably have forgotten about it.

The best thing about 3-year-olds is that they’ll believe most of what you say and if you make it seem like the most amazing thing ever they’ll usually go along with it! 😊

Editing to add: the more “matter of fact” you sound the better. Just put on the tone of voice that conveys there will be no negotiations 😂 “Here’s our car. Let’s get in so I can tell you what the color means.” Try not to give in to the color stubbornness. I see it all the time at school and it’s obvious which kids have parents that indulge the color pickiness at home.

One more edit: ugh, zombie thread. Just noticed! The topic still probably applies to a lot of parents though!

Last edited:

Yeah, we went to a local fair where we had to leave 3 different rides because he couldn't get a "green" one. I will break him of this habit come hell or high water! :D
My son is obsessed with green, but he's been better if he doesn't get the color of his choice. We don't really stand for it either, and we reinforce what they teach in school "You get what you get and you don't get upset".
This thread is 2 years old and OP already reported back from the trip. Why was this bumped?

I didn’t realize it was old either, but I’m guessing somebody searched because they had the same question, so I’ll answer anyway. -

I also work with with preschoolers, and was going to say the same thing as Wubar. Once they know that phrase, they start reminding each other!

I’d also like to add - don’t feel guilty if your kid starts doing this. It happens quite naturally, and often for a very useful reason - families unconsciously “assign” each kid a different color in order to keep things straight (and not, for instance, wash 17 cups a day 😆). Some kids just run with that, and think it’s the only color they can use. So if you’re having trouble with this in public, start working on it at home, where the opportunity cost if a meltdown isn’t so high.

PS - I love the idea up thread about making a game of collecting many different colors as well!

Tomorrowland Speedway can sometimes be accomodating. A few weeks ago I was with a 10 year old that wanted a blue car. It just so happened we were stopped so we were next in line as the cars would be coming into the load area. The CM looked down the track, then assigned us to a number that would be a blue car.
Because for some reason the system showed it to be a new thread, just like the system magically erased my signature art and formatted text the other day. Glitchy.

This reminded me of an experience we had in Disneyland Paris on their Cars ride. A 3yo boy had been trying to get a certain color car, riding multiple times and getting shut out each time, and this time, he and his dad were talking about routes to take to get to one of the two desired color cars when their turn to ride came (it’s like a tilt-a-whirl and everyone just scurries onto the platform to the car of their choice once let in). This go-round they were first in line, but some mean-spirited and faster youth behind them purposely beat him to both of the cars in his color, laughing at his disappointment. We all got off the ride, and our party, the father and son, and the youths all got in line again, in that order. We could hear the older kids plotting again, so this time, we hurried to the color the boy wanted and saved it for him. It made his day! Sometimes it’s little things, like riding in your favorite color car, that make it all the more magical! Not saying one should indulge tantrums, and I love the idea of making it a game, but every now and then, if it doesn’t inconvenient the masses, waiting for a certain color isn’t spoiling a kiddo too much :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter