Wait-list strategy at VGF & Poly?

ray3127

Life goal = Quarterly vacation
We have BCV studio booked for 9/20-9/24. I wanted to switch to Poly and wait-list VGF on 2/20. Been checking periodically, and yesterday found that Poly is now all booked up. So I'll have to wait list everything. I understand I can do 2 waitlists. Which view categories have the best chance to open up?

Poly Lake was the last to book up.
VGF Lake was the second to last to book up.
Standard view at both has been booked since I started checking about a month ago.

However, in looking at the total room inventory, there appears to be:
288 Poly Standard view rooms
72 Poly Lake view rooms
30 VGF Standard view rooms
17 VGF Lake view rooms

Looking at those numbers, it would seem like Poly Standard is the safest bet. But the Lake view rooms at both places had availability most recently.

Our first choice is VGF, but we would be happy with Poly, too. View doesn't matter, we have points for either. Any advice on how to set up the wait-list?

We have BCV studio booked for 9/20-9/24. I wanted to switch to Poly and wait-list VGF on 2/20. Been checking periodically, and yesterday found that Poly is now all booked up. So I'll have to wait list everything. I understand I can do 2 waitlists. Which view categories have the best chance to open up?

Poly Lake was the last to book up.
VGF Lake was the second to last to book up.
Standard view at both has been booked since I started checking about a month ago.

However, in looking at the total room inventory, there appears to be:
288 Poly Standard view rooms
72 Poly Lake view rooms
30 VGF Standard view rooms
17 VGF Lake view rooms

Looking at those numbers, it would seem like Poly Standard is the safest bet. But the Lake view rooms at both places had availability most recently.

Our first choice is VGF, but we would be happy with Poly, too. View doesn't matter, we have points for either. Any advice on how to set up the wait-list?
The lake view probably had longer availability because they require more points. Most people are cheap with their points and try to use as few as possible. With decent views with GFV standard view and Polynesian standard view, there isn't that much difference. Use your waitlist on Polynesian standard view. You might even put in two waitlists with each waitlisting part of the stay. So 9/20-22 and 9/22-24. Shorter stays are easier to book than longer stays.

The lake view probably had longer availability because they require more points. Most people are cheap with their points and try to use as few as possible.
I suppose this was really my question; is it more likely that a Standard view or Lake view opens up? Knowing that people are cheap with their points and look for value, the Standard views sold out before the Lake views, even though there are many more Standard view rooms available.

We are borrowing points, so booking 2 nights at a time is not an option, as I don't want to potentially be stuck on a split stay on a 4-night trip. If I had the points I'd definitely look into that.

I'm thinking waitlist Poly standard & VGF standard. Those expose us to the largest number of possible rooms at each resort. Unless folks think that people are more likely to opt out of current Lake view reservations instead of Standard view reservations.

I would say the Poly has the best chance of opening up...If you really have your heart set on changing resorts. I would wait- list both views at the Poly. VGF is hard to get. We own there and always have to book right at 11 months to get what we want. There isn't a lot of movement with the studios because there are so few... If you do want to wait-list both...Maybe the Poly standard and the Lakeview VGF? I know there are less of those but the VGF standard views probably already have more people waitlisted ahead of you since they booked first.

Even though the Lakeviews booked up last the PVB standard view is much larger so greater odds that one of those would be cancelled. And with LV there being the second largest I'd tend to agree to waitlist both categories at PVB.

But if really wanting a VGF waitlist I'd go with the larger sized category there too - so standard view at both locations. Then check on the lakeviews now and then and see if someone cancelled. It may happen at the 7 month window if a PVB or VGF owner has hopes to try some other location so don't give up complete hope for that happening.

I suppose this was really my question; is it more likely that a Standard view or Lake view opens up? Knowing that people are cheap with their points and look for value, the Standard views sold out before the Lake views, even though there are many more Standard view rooms available.

We are borrowing points, so booking 2 nights at a time is not an option, as I don't want to potentially be stuck on a split stay on a 4-night trip. If I had the points I'd definitely look into that.

I'm thinking waitlist Poly standard & VGF standard. Those expose us to the largest number of possible rooms at each resort. Unless folks think that people are more likely to opt out of current Lake view reservations instead of Standard view reservations.
I think that any standard view villas may have other owners ahead of you on the wait list. Some could be members who have booked lake views. So much would depend on what nights open up, how many people are ahead of you on the wait list and how many nights they want.

Since you can have 2 wait lists and don't want to deal with a possible split stay, why not choose one resort (I recommend Poly) and wait list both views for your desired nights?

Appreciate all the input! Sounds like our best bet to change is waitlist both room types at Poly. If I want to chance it with VGF that's where the indecision comes in... would probably do Standard Poly and Lake VGF in that case. I'll see what happens on Wednesday and let you know if anything comes of it. Thanks!!

Quick update... Checked last night and both Poly room categories we're available. This morning is 7 months, and at 6:59 (Central) there was Standard view Poly... but when I tried to grab it, it was gone. 3 of the 4 nights are available for both Standard and Lake views, so I waitlisted both. VGF only has 1 night of the 4 at Lake view, and none available for Standard. So the Poly rooms seem like a safer bet.

Thanks for the help, it helps to talk through it!

Thank you for updating us! It definitely helps to talk through it and get insight. Did you book the 3 nights that were available and wait list the 1 night? Much easier to get 1 night than 4.

Thank you for updating us! It definitely helps to talk through it and get insight. Did you book the 3 nights that were available and wait list the 1 night? Much easier to get 1 night than 4.
Because of my points situation (this stay is entirely on borrowed points) I would have to cancel my BCV reservation to do that. I don't really want to risk that, just in case the 1 night doesn't come through. Unless the consensus is that is an unfounded worry.

Quick update... Checked last night and both Poly room categories we're available. This morning is 7 months, and at 6:59 (Central) there was Standard view Poly... but when I tried to grab it, it was gone. 3 of the 4 nights are available for both Standard and Lake views, so I waitlisted both. VGF only has 1 night of the 4 at Lake view, and none available for Standard. So the Poly rooms seem like a safer bet.

Thanks for the help, it helps to talk through it!

I had a similar thing happen to me when I tried for VGF last week. Just beforehand, availability. But when I got through, at 7:03. NADA! At 7:00, I got that "Oh so cute" but frustrating picture of the 7 dwarfs telling me to check later. Interestingly, at 1:00pm, trying to make changes, there was still availability at the Polynesian for a standard view studio. Pixie Dust for you!

Unless the consensus is that is an unfounded worry.

Obviously there's never a guarantee but I would be shocked if a one night waitlist for SV at Poly didn't come through for you. Especially with this much time to before your arrival date.

For our recent 7 night late January trip, my wife decided in November (yes November - she's not in tune to DVC logistics lol), "hey why don't we stay at Poly instead of Kidani?" Poly being my favorite resort I decided to try. Between wait list and stalking I managed to get it within 4 weeks. I'd book a night or two at a time whenever I could and wait list single nights in between. Again, after 4 weeks I had our 7 night stay.

You only need one night and have nearly 7 months. Not to repeat myself I'd be shocked if that one night doesn't come through for you.

Because of my points situation (this stay is entirely on borrowed points) I would have to cancel my BCV reservation to do that. I don't really want to risk that, just in case the 1 night doesn't come through. Unless the consensus is that is an unfounded worry.

I think you have a great shot of having 1 night come through. Why don't you modify your current reservation and keep the 1 night at BCV that isn't available at Poly? Book the nights available at Poly and waitilst the 1 night. You will still have your 1 night reserved at BCV if Poly doesn't pan out. However, I really think it will come through, especially with 7 months left before your trip. We waitlisted 1 night for May at the 3 month mark and it came through in a matter of weeks.

I would also continue to check availability on your own because it may pop up. But I think your chances are better now to book what Poly has available and waitlist the 1 day.

Obviously there's never a guarantee but I would be shocked if a one night waitlist for SV at Poly didn't come through for you. Especially with this much time to before your arrival date.

For our recent 7 night late January trip, my wife decided in November (yes November - she's not in tune to DVC logistics lol), "hey why don't we stay at Poly instead of Kidani?" Poly being my favorite resort I decided to try. Between wait list and stalking I managed to get it within 4 weeks. I'd book a night or two at a time whenever I could and wait list single nights in between. Again, after 4 weeks I had our 7 night stay.

You only need one night and have nearly 7 months. Not to repeat myself I'd be shocked if that one night doesn't come through for you.

I think you have a great shot of having 1 night come through. Why don't you modify your current reservation and keep the 1 night at BCV that isn't available at Poly? Book the nights available at Poly and waitilst the 1 night. You will still have your 1 night reserved at BCV if Poly doesn't pan out. However, I really think it will come through, especially with 7 months left before your trip. We waitlisted 1 night for May at the 3 month mark and it came through in a matter of weeks.

I would also continue to check availability on your own because it may pop up. But I think your chances are better now to book what Poly has available and waitlist the 1 day.
Trouble is I can only book 1 night at Poly right now, 9/20. The unavailable night is 9/21. 9/22-23 are available, but I can't get those. I suppose I could start with 9/20 and at least have that, and ultimately piece the whole thing together. If I could grab the first 2-3 nights, or at least 2-3 nights of the overall stay, then I could see doing this. I'll keep stalking the next couple days, hopefully something frees up.

Stalking > Waitlist, for me anyway... I refreshed availability probably 50 times over the last couple days. Suddenly, 5 minutes ago there are all 4 nights at Poly, Lake View. The gap had been Saturday 9/21, so I just needed that 1 day to free up. Luckily it did; we are swapped out of BCV and into Poly.

Debated waiting for Standard view to conserve points, but had to take what I could get when I could get it. Standard view at Poly has no availability on 9/20 or 9/21, so I thought the odds there were lower. And since we had to borrow for the stay, there will be no downgrading at this point. Only possible move is to VGF, Lake View, which is an even point swap. But we are very happy with staying at Poly!

Thank you for the tips/tricks/help, and especially the pixie dust!

Stalking > Waitlist, for me anyway... I refreshed availability probably 50 times over the last couple days. Suddenly, 5 minutes ago there are all 4 nights at Poly, Lake View. The gap had been Saturday 9/21, so I just needed that 1 day to free up. Luckily it did; we are swapped out of BCV and into Poly.

Debated waiting for Standard view to conserve points, but had to take what I could get when I could get it. Standard view at Poly has no availability on 9/20 or 9/21, so I thought the odds there were lower. And since we had to borrow for the stay, there will be no downgrading at this point. Only possible move is to VGF, Lake View, which is an even point swap. But we are very happy with staying at Poly!

Thank you for the tips/tricks/help, and especially the pixie dust!
You might be able to downgrade if the reservation is using any current Use Year point. When you downgrade you would use the borrowed points first then freeing up the current Use Year points that could be banked. MS may even let you reallocate your points to your other reservations in the current Use Year as long as the points match any home priority reservations or doesn't matter if the reservation was made after 7 months. Only throwing this out there because you could save the points if you plan on going again next year.

Some members have even stated you don't need to talk to MS that if you modify a reservation but don't change anything in the process it will reallocate that reservation to use any borrowed points first. Of course home resort priority will still be considered.

You might be able to downgrade if the reservation is using any current Use Year point.
Thanks for the tip! They are all borrowed points, so I'm out of luck. If a few extra points is the price we have to pay to try places like Poly and VGF, I'm okay with it. Beats paying for a 1BR for just me and my wife! But again, thank you for letting me know that--lots of little things to keep in mind when planning these trips.

Last edited:
Make sure to request high floor. I know it's opinion but to me, 1st floor "lake view" villas in Moorea should be called "bungalow view" and not cost lake view points.

My suggestion for anyone with a waitlist is to call in first thing in the morning. Both my waitlists I have made have come through by calling DVC when the site didn't show availability. Today I called in and I was able to get my waitlisted Polynesian Lake View. We are thrilled! I have not yet stayed at this resort and have always wanted to. Because of all of the new restrictions and shorter park hours we will be spending more time at our resort so this is a dream come true.

My suggestion for anyone with a waitlist is to call in first thing in the morning. Both my waitlists I have made have come through by calling DVC when the site didn't show availability. Today I called in and I was able to get my waitlisted Polynesian Lake View. We are thrilled! I have not yet stayed at this resort and have always wanted to. Because of all of the new restrictions and shorter park hours we will be spending more time at our resort so this is a dream come true.
If they show available on the website, you can just modify it yourself (unless you are using transferred points).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!