Wait times at park closing and extra magic time

disneylover102

DIS Veteran
Are wait times at park closing generally shorter than the posted wait says? At DLR in California and WDW in Florida, I've had some experiences where the actual wait time at park closing was significantly shorter than the posted wait time. I'm specifically interested in Big Thunder Mountain and Crush's Coaster. Also, what are wait times for those rides generally like during extra magic time? I could check each day but that requires being up really late because of the time difference.

By the way, we're going in August 2020 if that helps.

The wait time at night before closing is definitely shorter than the posted wait times. I can't say for Crush, but definitely for Big Thunder. I went on Big Thunder 6 times in a row in April within the last 40 minutes of park hours. Thunder Mountain is especially great to jump on right at closing as you get to watch the fireworks during the ride! It was quite a quiet time but even in busy times I have managed to get on twice in the last half an hour or so. Crush is different because it is in the studios which closes much earlier than the main park, which means the crowds don't reduce as much.

Extra Magic Time will have long waits for Crush unfortunately. You basically need to be at the gates at 8am ish and make a run or brisk walk to that ride to reduce any wait time. Thunder Mountain isn't open during EMT so you would have to start queuing by the rope until park opening and make a run for the ride or fastpass machine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!