Waitlist points question

ACJT

DIS Veteran
if my waitlist comes through will I have the opportunity to purchase one time use points. I am just a couple points shy. Or. Will the waitlist be cancelled automatically if there isn't sufficient points available (current year or borrow)

My understanding is that one time use points must be purchased at the time the reservation is made. Not sure how they handle a waitlist that is matched but does not have enough points. Thinking it might be cancelled.

if my waitlist comes through will I have the opportunity to purchase one time use points. I am just a couple points shy. Or. Will the waitlist be cancelled automatically if there isn't sufficient points available (current year or borrow)

They will cancel the waitlist. You can't purchase OTU points to make a reservation that is the result of a waitlist match.

If you are willing to gamble, call MS and make a reservation that will use the number of OTU points that you would need if the waitlist comes through. Then set up a waitlist to replace that reservation when/if the waitlist comes through. Setting up a new waitlist will send you to the end of the line. Alternatively, cancel the "dummy" OTU reservation yourself. The points will go back into your account. (The OTU points will not show online for you, but MS will be able to see that you have them). Call MS and ask the CM to make a note on your existing waitlist that you have OTU points that should be used to make the reservation if the waitlist comes through.

The gamble is that the waitlist will work. If it doesn't, the OTU points will expire at the end of your use year. They can't be banked. A better option might be getting a small transfer of points from another member - especially if you can find points that are your same home resort and use year. Those will show in your account and could be banked if necessary. Could be hard to find, though.

Good luck - hope everything works out the way you would like.

Nope. You will need the points already available to use. I had a WL that was a few more points than what I had (135 vs 132) and the WL was deactivated when it cleared. I didn't even think about needing 3 measly points. I could've bought the one time use points ahead of time and had them available (using the method CarolMN listed) but had the WL not cleared then I would've had extra points that would've gone to waste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter