Walking cane/stool needed

ugadog99

<font color=blue>Has been waiting patiently for a
Okay, I don't how to describe what I'm looking for, but I'll give it a shot. I am searching for a stool that is lightweight and easy to carry around. I have seen the ones that are walking canes that have a stool seat on them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or where to get them? My dad refuses to get an ECV and he thinks the stool would be helpful for parades, fireworks, etc.

Thanks,
Melanie

Thanks! Just what I was looking for! He would be much more comfortable with an ECV, but absolutely refuses to rent one!

I rent one due to my very arthritic knees and back. I am also the official camera keeper, coat keeper, drink keeper, etc. Everyone finds my ECV basket very helpful so let him know he could be providing a service to others as well. ;)

He may be reluctant to rent an ecv the first day. Might want to politely ask him the 2nd or 3rd day. He may realize there are lots of people in scooters, and its not that bad as he thinks.
He may then reconsider his position.

Another idea would be to offer to share the ecv with him. Let him know he is free to walk part of the time, and you will drive it for him other times, so he can stretch his legs out. Its really not good to be sitting in a wheel chair the whole trip, especially if you still have some mobility. You will loose some leg strength sitting the whole week. We do the push wheel chair. I've got arthiritus and tendinitus in knees, and hips, and no way could I be on my feet 12 hours a day for a week. So, I get up and push the chair, or my husband pushes it and I hobble around sometimes and I ride in the chair at other times. We get some funny looks. But I work hard at the gym on my functionality, and mobility, and training so I don't want to be sedentary for a week. I'm not saying if you need to use the wheel chair 24-7 that you should try to walk. Just that I know there are semi-mobile people in need for mobility assistance.

For myself, my legs feel great the first day. I might even be able to pull off a half day without a wheelchair, but then I'd be dead for a couple of days and sore too. You don't want to be in pain on vacation, you want to be happy and having fun!

Connie

A word of warning on the folding stools that are in a cane/walking stick (as pictured in Figment's post) -- they MAY not be allowed into the parks.

In the past 2-3 weeks, everyone that works in my area (DAK Main Entrance) had to go to a meeting with some "refresher" material on what is and is not allowed into the parks. (both in terms of physical objects, writing on clothing, clothing styles, etc) During the meeting, we were reminded that folding chairs are not allowed. Someone specifically asked about this type of cane/seat combination, and we were told that they were NOT allowed.

I don't know if people at other parks are having these meetings as well, but I would assume that they would, and that the policies will be enforced.

I use a knapsack with a folding stool as part of the frame . I got it at a sporting goods store. It cost about 20-25$. Never had any trouble. It's worth it's weight in gold. I believe it's called a camping stool knapsack.

Well, I guess the cane/stool is not an option now. My father refuses to rent an ECV and probably won't need it anyway. My biggest concerns are for stairs (BTMRR and Splash) and parade viewing and Illuminations. There is NO way he can sit on the curb so I really don't know what my options are.???

Excuse me, but have you tried to make him feel guilty?

Once you are there, point out to him that his problems are causing everyone else in the group to have a lowered enjoyment level of the trip and that he will make everyone else in the group happy if he used an ECV.

In addition, he could have the "extra duties" of carrying stuff in the basket or even on the floorboards.

You say you don't know what your options are. Actually your options are very simple. Either you can go and have a great time, or you can let someone ruin your vacation.

Your father's options are simple too. Either he can stand, along with thousands of other people with aching legs and feet, or he can sit. Where he chooses to sit is his choice too. If he chooses to sit on a curb, I'm sure someone will help him get up. On the other hand, if he would rather be comfortable, his choice is to rent a wc or ecv

By the way, there are chairs in front of Tony's in the MK that people usually snatch up 1 1/2 hours before the parade, and there are wooden planters in Frontierland some people choose to sit on. Don't count on getting a seat along the parade route unless you bring one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter