• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking times at AKL Kadani

goofydad621

DIS Veteran
SO we have our ressies for AKL Kadani in January and so many people say how far it is to walk to everything there, can anybody give me an approx time / distance it is from the end of Kadani buildings to the check in area? I know that "far" is subjective.
thanks
goofydad

We were in the last bead on the north end. My pedometer measured the walk from our villa to the lobby at about 0.32 miles. A bellman told me that it was half a mile from one end of Kidani to the other.

I think the official measurement is 1/3 a mile from the lobby to the farthest room on the north bead, by far it is the longest of any DVC hallway.

I had a XX50 room number which meant I walked past 50+ other rooms (25 right and 25 left) on the way to my room, and I think there were still another 2 or 3 "beads" or building sections to go ;)

In comparison, Google lists the walking path between the Kidani and Jambo lobby as .4 mile or 8 minutes.
An EasyWDW chart shows walking from Splash Mountain to Haunted Mansion takes 7 minutes...that's about the same as the Kidani walk...

Yes, we had the second to last room on the hallway that ended near Jambo house. Had we a way to get out to the ground floor from that end, we would have been much closer to the Jambo lobby than to the Kidani lobby. But, unforturnately, to get to the Jambo lobby, we had to back track to the elevator that went down to the parking garage, which was about 1/3-1/2 the distance to the Kidani lobby. If we have a car, we sometime never go to the lobby for our entire trip, except to check in. But, at least, that side is closer to the buses. On the other side, you pretty have to go through the lobby to get to the buses (but not to parking).

I own at BWV and people always say those hallways are long. But when I stayed at Kidani, my friend and I decided to trek to the end of the building to make a comparison. Oh my word!!! I was exhausted by the time we got back to our studio. Our studio was pretty close to the elevators, so we knew it would be a hike. At least there's a lot of stuff to look at!

We had end rooms on the north wing (longer of the two at Kidani) once (and since have always requested close to lobby) and the walk by adults to the lobby at normal (unrushed) pace without kids in tow was just a little over 5 minutes. It is under a third mile but more than a quarter. We also did it with a five and six year old in tow and it took closer to 9 minutes. That trip with grandkids was after spending a day in the park and, about halfway down, you really wanted to pitch a tent and spend the night before continuing with the remainder of the arduous journey in the morning. Note, in comparison we have also had the rooms at BWV which are farthest from the lobby and we timed the adult walk there to the elevator just off the lobby at close to 100 seconds or about a third of the time for the Kidani walk..

We once were in the last 1 bedroom on the last "bead" close to Jambo. I walked from the room to the lobby a couple of times, and each time it took me about 6-7 minutes. Does that help? FYI, I think I walked to Jambo in about the same length of time.

Rent a car. We stayed at AKL Kidani last December. Our room was on the side by the pool, so we had elevator access to our vehicle by one of the mid elevators and access to the pool. Remember, the only park you're close to is Animal Kingdom. My Disney trans is the vehicle, no walk to lobby, no waiting!

I agree with the suggestion that it would be better to have a car. We were on the floor right above our car and were able to take a flight of stairs right from the underground garage to our room. We did use the elevator down the hall to wheel our luggage and coolers in, though. It was also more convenient to just take the car to the parks, grocery shop, and have the freedom to eat anywhere we wanted off site or at Disney.

:) We stayed in the second bead and my parents got a 4th "bead" room on our last trip to Kidani. We were able to rent them a Sherpa in the lobby.

In November we are staying at Jambo.

Be darn sure you have everything you need before you begin the journey--sherpas do not return to the room once they start out. I once saw a lady in the lobby who forgot her refillable mug...:sad1:

All kidding aside, it is a wonderful and beautiful resort with a relaxing and peaceful ambiance. The decor is cool and quiet. I don't know, everytime I have been to SSR it seems just as huge...then to get on the monorail from BLT you have to get on an elevator, cross the sky bridge, head up the escalator....so it is all relative and in the grand scheme of things MK will wear you out so your legs will already be numb once you head back to the room.

I am in the minority who does not find the walks long. I am a fast walker I will admit. Akl is my favourite resort. I actually request being toward the end of the hall do I have a quick trip to jambo. Having said that, we also make daily use of the kidani pool and lobby so I am making that walk.

I think it depends on the people. My family (2 adults age 40 and 2 kids 8 and 10) don't find it a long walk at all, 7-8 minutes is not long. Now I know my
in' laws who are in their 70's, overweight and with bad knees would find it too far and want to drive. It's all relative...if your relatively fit, enjoy walking (I mean unless your skipping the parks, you have a lot of walking to do (unless you are getting the motorized scooters for assistance)) the walk is a nice time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter