Walking Two Rooms

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I know walking is a controversial subject. I am not asking this question to get flamed. I'm truly confused on how walking would even be a benefit in certain situations. For example, if someone was able to book two AKV value studios a week before they were needed, wouldn't it be impossible to call the next day to drop the first day and add a day at the end? By the time MS opens, wouldn't both rooms already be filled? Is it only possible with one room?

If you are lucky enough to get one or two value rooms booked at 11 months then you can basically walk them to whatever desired checkin date you need.

It all boils down to you being able to make the first reservation to get your foot inside. If you get 7 days you only need to call every 6 day without loosing the ability to continue the walk. If you book 5 days you need to call every 4 day and so on. That way you can continue to move your reservation forward. If point requirements increases you ofc need more points to continue to walk.

If you are lucky enough to get one or two value rooms booked at 11 months then you can basically walk them to whatever desired checkin date you need.

It all boils down to you being able to make the first reservation to get your foot inside. If you get 7 days you only need to call every 6 day without loosing the ability to continue the walk. If you book 5 days you need to call every 4 day and so on. That way you can continue to move your reservation forward. If point requirements increases you ofc need more points to continue to walk.
Can you explain what is in bold? Maybe with an example?
If I wanted two value studios starting the 4th of July for four nights, for example. So if I'm lucky enough to snag them a week before on June 28 and book (which puts July 4 as my last night), when would I need to call back?

To book June 28 - 04th of July 2019 you can start booking on 28th of July 2018. That’s 11 months out.

Then on the 2nd or 3rd of august 2018 you call ms to move your reservation to 7/2 - 7/8. On the 4th of august 2018 you call again to move or in this case drop the first 2 nights of your reservation so your final dates are 7/4 - 7/8

I know walking is a controversial subject. I am not asking this question to get flamed. I'm truly confused on how walking would even be a benefit in certain situations. For example, if someone was able to book two AKV value studios a week before they were needed, wouldn't it be impossible to call the next day to drop the first day and add a day at the end? By the time MS opens, wouldn't both rooms already be filled? Is it only possible with one room?
You could walk as many as you wanted once you have the first day. Other than for fixed week and when rooms are scheduled out of service, you couldn't be locked out as long as you're calling before the additional nights are bookable online.

I assuming the 4th of July is in higher demand than most else so 1week prior to checkin might not be enough as you need to be lucky to even get one room a month before.

I would recommend starting earlier than the 1 week.

To book June 28 - 04th of July 2019 you can start booking on 28th of July 2018. That’s 11 months out.

Then on the 2nd or 3rd of august 2018 you call ms to move your reservation to 7/2 - 7/8. On the 4th of august 2018 you call again to move or in this case drop the first 2 nights of your reservation so your final dates are 7/4 - 7/8
I assuming the 4th of July is in higher demand than most else so 1week prior to checkin might not be enough as you need to be lucky to even get one room a month before.

I would recommend starting earlier than the 1 week.
Thank you. This makes sense.

I had to walk 2 rooms to get BWV standard studios for December. There is a slim chance to book 2 high demand rooms on the same day, by 8:01am they are gone. I booked the first room a week earlier, then booked the second room the next day. Then walked both to my desired check in date.

Also, remember walking really only works at 11 months as you can try it at 7 months, but a home resort owner can always upset that apple cart...

Also, remember walking really only works at 11 months as you can try it at 7 months, but a home resort owner can always upset that apple cart...
If I ever do walk, it will be to try to get two value studios at AKV. I own at AKV, so I have that advantage. My family and I are planning a trip either for Thanksgiving or right before Christmas next year, and I know my chances aren't good to get two of them. Thus, the questions about walking two rooms.

I had to walk 2 rooms to get BWV standard studios for December. There is a slim chance to book 2 high demand rooms on the same day, by 8:01am they are gone. I booked the first room a week earlier, then booked the second room the next day. Then walked both to my desired check in date.
That is a great suggestion!

I know this is an older thread, but I am getting close to trying this. We have actually changed to a possible October trip next year. I'm confused about something now that's it close. If I were to book only 4 nights over a week out, wouldn't it be possible for several other people to book 7 nights the same day, thus taking up all the rooms after my 4 nights. So when I call four days later, there won't be rooms to add to the end of my reservation. Does walking really only work if you book 7 nights?

I know this is an older thread, but I am getting close to trying this. We have actually changed to a possible October trip next year. I'm confused about something now that's it close. If I were to book only 4 nights over a week out, wouldn't it be possible for several other people to book 7 nights the same day, thus taking up all the rooms after my 4 nights. So when I call four days later, there won't be rooms to add to the end of my reservation. Does walking really only work if you book 7 nights?
No, you would have the room for the four nights you have. To book any night after your four, someone else would have to do it 11 months from the first night after. You would just have to "walk" your reservation before the 11th month window opens after what you currently have.

No, you would have the room for the four nights you have. To book any night after your four, someone else would have to do it 11 months from the first night after. You would just have to "walk" your reservation before the 11th month window opens after what you currently have.
I think I may finally understand! Take this example:
I want October 10-13 in a value studio.
I book 4 nights for October 3-6.
There are only 5 value studios.
On the same day, four other people book October 3-9. But that still leaves my room open for the 7th-9th, and no one can book that until 11 months out from the 7th, right?
So I call 11 months out from the 6th, cancel October 3-5, keep October 6, and then add October 7-9.
I then call 11 months out from the 9th, cancel October 6-8, keep October 9, and add October 10-12.
Oh no it's getting fuzzy! When would I need to call to cancel October 9 and add October 13?

Suppose there are 3 value rooms. Today, you book one for 4 nights as soon as the 11 month window opens. Member A books the second for 7 nights and Member B books the last room for 3 nights.

The next day no one else can book a value room because the first day of their stay is already "sold out". You can't book days past the window if the first night is not available. So the first opportunity anyone would have to book a value studio would be when the 11 month window opens for the 4th night from today - when Member B checks out.

But MS allows those who want to extend their stays to call before the window opens for everyone else. You & Members A & B are virtually guaranteed to be able to extend your stay as long as you call MS before the window opens for the night(s) you want to add. That process effectively blocks anyone else who wants to begin a stay during that time period. Note that you can't add a night that is more than 7 away from the day you call.

So if Member B calls tomorrow, she could add as many as 5 nights to the initial 3 night stay - and since no one else can call or book until the window opens for the 4th night of her stay, she is virtually guaranteed to get the extra nights. Tomorrow, you could add as many as 4 nights and Member A could add 1 night.

Walking is dropping the first night(s) before adding the end night(s) - so that you can reuse the points.

As long as you call to drop and add night(s) before the window opens for the night(s) you want to add, you'll be able to "walk" your reservation until you get exactly what you want. Again, the TRICK, is getting the first reservation. Sometimes, that is not easy.

It's been reported that we can now "walk" online using the modify feature. I am not yet 100% confident that it works, though. If I had to walk, I'd probably call right now. YMMV.

Suppose there are 3 value rooms. Today, you book one for 4 nights as soon as the 11 month window opens. Member A books the second for 7 nights and Member B books the last room for 3 nights.

The next day no one else can book a value room because the first day of their stay is already "sold out". You can't book days past the window if the first night is not available. So the first opportunity anyone would have to book a value studio would be when the 11 month window opens for the 4th night from today - when Member B checks out.

But MS allows those who want to extend their stays to call before the window opens for everyone else. You & Members A & B are virtually guaranteed to be able to extend your stay as long as you call MS before the window opens for the night(s) you want to add. That process effectively blocks anyone else who wants to begin a stay during that time period. Note that you can't add a night that is more than 7 away from the day you call.

So if Member B calls tomorrow, she could add as many as 5 nights to the initial 3 night stay - and since no one else can call or book until the window opens for the 4th night of her stay, she is virtually guaranteed to get the extra nights. Tomorrow, you could add as many as 4 nights and Member A could add 1 night.

Walking is dropping the first night(s) before adding the end night(s) - so that you can reuse the points.

As long as you call to drop and add night(s) before the window opens for the night(s) you want to add, you'll be able to "walk" your reservation until you get exactly what you want. Again, the TRICK, is getting the first reservation. Sometimes, that is not easy.

It's been reported that we can now "walk" online using the modify feature. I am not yet 100% confident that it works, though. If I had to walk, I'd probably call right now. YMMV.
Ok, so my example above works because I would be adding additional nights before the window opens for everyone else. And to drop the 9th and add the 13th, I would just need to do it by the 12th. Right? Also, you don't have to call right when MS opens, correct? Just sometime during the day before the window opens?

And according to a PP, to do this with two rooms, you're best bet is to initially book them a day apart.

I've always been lucky getting a value room. Knock on wood. Getting one two days in a row might be another story.

Last edited:
Also, what happens if you end up with banked points unused by the end of all the transactions? Will they reallocate them?

There is only one risk: if a room is scheduled to be put out of service for one or more nights you want to walk, then there is actually less inventory in the future so the other people might book all the remaining before you get a shot at walking.
Also, we've had report in the past of inventory not being released in time for the 11month+7 days in time, probably for a computer glitch.
Anyway, the probability of getting such problems is so small that I wouldn't worry.

The only issue with shorter reservations is getting availability. To do it effectively one needs a full 7 days worth of points available. Besides rooms going out of service for planned maintenance, DVC can anticipate inventory for breakage but that's unlikely to happen for a value room.

Also, what happens if you end up with banked points unused by the end of all the transactions? Will they reallocate them?

Can anyone answer this question? This is what I'm really worried about now. I finally have it figured out how to walk, but the fact that dropping days and adding days will put points back into and pull points out of my banked 2018 and current 2019 UY is what concerns me. What if when it's all said and done, I end up with banked 2018 points? Will they reallocate the points to use all of them up without losing my reservations?

Can anyone answer this question? This is what I'm really worried about now. I finally have it figured out how to walk, but the fact that dropping days and adding days will put points back into and pull points out of my banked 2018 and current 2019 UY is what concerns me. What if when it's all said and done, I end up with banked 2018 points? Will they reallocate the points to use all of them up without losing my reservations?
Yes, but they won't return borrowed points or violate the other rules of home resort, banking windows or holding accounts. As long as you could have used the points for the final reservation, you'll be fine. My personal view is that a change should be a cancelation and rebooking but this is not how they currently operate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter