Walking WDW Marathon

Disneyqueendenmark

Mouseketeer
Hi!

(I just want to apologize for the very very long post....)

I kinda need some advice and hope you can help me.

I guess I have two main questions:

1) Does the WDW Marathon usually get sold out?

2) Is it possible (and realistic) to (power)walk the full marathon with only 6 months training?

I am in love with rundisney events. I'm usually not a huge fan of running, but after I attended the DLP Half last year I'm hooked! Since I'll be at Disney World on the marathon weekend, I would just love to attend. I probably won't get the opportunity to travel to WDW in a looong time, so this is my only chance in the next many years. I would have chosen the 10k or half but since it is sold out I only have the full marathon left. But I really want to do it!

I am overweight (+40lbs) and not in great shape as it is. But I'm willing to make an effort to lose weight and workout. (I have lost over 50 pounds before, so I know whats works for me)

My bff and I will be doing the DLP 10k and half in September. We won't be able to run the entire distance - at all. Last year we did intervals and finished in just over 3 hours (not impressive, I know...). Due to some medical issues I only had about 3-4 weeks training, so finishing was a success.

I just started a running program - couch to 5k-ish - and if everything goes as it planned I'll be able to run a 5k in about 30 minutes in 10 weeks (around 1st of September). I hope that's a good start. For both races we will do intervals.

I've checked out some walking training schedules and according to them you can train to walk a marathon in 3-5 months - which is perfect.

Do you think it would be realistic for me to sign up and finish?

I know that I will have to really work for it - both walking, running and strength. Of course there will be weeks where I only train 2 days and others 7 days, life is unpredictable. And I'll have to learn about power walking strategies. But realistically I will be able to workout for 5 days a week.

(If I end up not finishing and just doing half it wouldn't be the end of the world, I would still be happy. But I don't want to sign up, knowing that I probably won't be able to get to the finish line.)

Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope you can answer some of my questions.

1) I would expect it to sell out at some point, being the 25th especially
2) yes, many people walk it, you just have to maintain the 16 min/mile pace. And depending on your pace, that will not really allow anytime for character pictures etc etc..
3) only you can really answer that question, I did the Dopey in 2014, my training dropped off towards the end, but I finished. Last year, I did not take my training seriously at all, and I didnt finish the marathon. If you find a program SOON, and commit to the program, barring any unforeseen issues (injuries etc) you should be able to finish in the time allotted. Good luck and good training!

1) I would expect it to sell out at some point, being the 25th especially
2) yes, many people walk it, you just have to maintain the 16 min/mile pace. And depending on your pace, that will not really allow anytime for character pictures etc etc..
3) only you can really answer that question, I did the Dopey in 2014, my training dropped off towards the end, but I finished. Last year, I did not take my training seriously at all, and I didnt finish the marathon. If you find a program SOON, and commit to the program, barring any unforeseen issues (injuries etc) you should be able to finish in the time allotted. Good luck and good training!

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try... I REALLY want to!
The 16 min/mile sounds so easy :p but I can imagine it's a challenge for the entire 26 miles....

If you start training now & stick to it for 6 months, you probably can finish it. However, walking a 16 minute/mile pace is not as easy for 26.2 miles as it may sound in my personal opinion and experience (things start to hurt you never knew could hurt if you aren't prepared or sometimes even if you are over that 26.2.) It didn't sell out last year, who knows really, but maybe work on training over the next few months and see how that goes, both physically & mentally, before committing to it. If you are consistant in training and making progress go for it, but if it were me and training wasn't going well the next few months, I wouldn't, but that's just me. Good Luck with whatever you do.

If you start training now & stick to it for 6 months, you probably can finish it. However, walking a 16 minute/mile pace is not as easy for 26.2 miles as it may sound in my personal opinion and experience (things start to hurt you never knew could hurt if you aren't prepared or sometimes even if you are over that 26.2.) It didn't sell out last year, who knows really, but maybe work on training over the next few months and see how that goes, both physically & mentally, before committing to it. If you are consistant in training and making progress go for it, but if it were me and training wasn't going well the next few months, I wouldn't, but that's just me. Good Luck with whatever you do.

Yes, one of my concern is also the $180... it's a lot of money if I have no chance of finishing - there are a lot of other things to do and buy in wdw for that monry. I don't think I would be excited about getting picked up by a bus and get a marathon medal, if I only did half the distance.
So you're probably right. Waiting a few months to see how my training goes and also see how the 10k and half in Paris turns out.
Thanks for your input :)

If you are at that time visiting WDW, register today! Get that damn BIB before it is sold out, set a goal and start your training right now. No excuses.

You are going to hate yourself in January, when you did not register in time and you see all those runners, wearing their medals in pride all day in the parks!

If you are at that time visiting WDW, register today! Get that damn BIB before it is sold out, set a goal and start your training right now. No excuses.

You are going to hate yourself in January, when you did not register in time and you see all those runners, wearing their medals in pride all day in the parks!

That's how I feel most days - I really just want to register. I'm so afraid that it's going to get sold out.....
Maybe I'm just going to registre..... I think you're right about regretting if it gets sold out.

Why don't you do a run/walk where you run for a minute and walk 2 minutes. Walking the whole marathon is going to take forever and you may be picked up for falling behind since there is a required pace. Keeping that pace for 26 miles is not that easy if you are going to walk.

You're right! That's also what I've been thinking. I also did that last year for the DLP half and plan to do it this year also. If I run/walk I might also have a chance of stopping for a character photo or two if I'm lucky and less chance of meeting the balloon ladies.

That's how I feel most days - I really just want to register. I'm so afraid that it's going to get sold out.....
Maybe I'm just going to registre..... I think you're right about regretting if it gets sold out.
Just do it!

Last year I did the same. Did the 5K and Half at DLP and this year I did the Full at WDW. I am also a little bit overweighted. It was my dream since we first visited WDW in 2009. Get a good trainingsplan, do not over do it with the training. Too much is also bad. See the DLP runs as steps towards your big goal. After registering visit the WDW Marathon Weekend thread here, there are so much nice runners and Disneyfans, they help you with everything. I just went through all of this last years. It is worth it, believe me.

There is something to this also. lol. Since you are already going to be there, if you are willing to be serious, I'd say go for it! And let's even look at something else. Let's say you train, do your best, and for some reason, you aren't able to finish (if you pick a training plan, I'd suggest a Galloway one, and be diligent about it, you'll earn that medal). You'll still be FAR ahead of the vast majority of the population!!

Just do it!

Last year I did the same. Did the 5K and Half at DLP and this year I did the Full at WDW. I am also a little bit overweighted. It was my dream since we first visited WDW in 2009. Get a good trainingsplan, do not over do it with the training. Too much is also bad. See the DLP runs as steps towards your big goal. After registering visit the WDW Marathon Weekend thread here, there are so much nice runners and Disneyfans, they help you with everything. I just went through all of this last years. It is worth it, believe me.

Okay.... I'm doing it :cool1:

Can I buy a pin on the expo or do I need to buy the bundle?

Since I can't comment on running or walking a marathon because I've only done shorter distances...I can comment on this subject!
If you KNOW you want the pin...just pre-order it. Then it's already paid for and you'll forget about that expense. It's one less thing to add to your total expenditure on official race merch at the expo. This is how I justify a lot of things :)

You can buy the pins at the expo. The bundle has the Logo Pin, Medal Replica Pin and Mileage Magnet, so if you want those 3 items then I would pre order cause then you know you will get them. Sure you pay active fees but it's nice to already have them paid for & guaranteed. I'm only doing the marathon and did not pre order this time as they aren't offering just the logo pin for one event like they used to, & while I want a magnet most likely, I don't want the medal replica pin.

Welcome to the marathon training club, WDW is a blast for sure!

I've checked out some walking training schedules and according to them you can train to walk a marathon in 3-5 months - which is perfect.

If you can share the walking training schedule you found for a full marathon, I would love to see it. I have done four of the runDisney half marathons, and have walked each, at an average pace of slightly less than 14 minutes per mile. I've wondered if it would be feasible to walk a full marathon at some point in the future (probably not until 2019 at the earliest for the WDW marathon).

If you can share the walking training schedule you found for a full marathon, I would love to see it. I have done four of the runDisney half marathons, and have walked each, at an average pace of slightly less than 14 minutes per mile. I've wondered if it would be feasible to walk a full marathon at some point in the future (probably not until 2019 at the earliest for the WDW marathon).

Sure :)
I just googled around. The schedules I found are ment for walking-only (I think). But I'm planning to alternate between running and walking and I think the schedules will be great as a guideline, since they just gives you a plan of how many miles or how long to walk/run.

http://thewalkingsite.com/marathonwalking/schedule_beginner_marathon.html

http://www.pbs.org/americaswalking/health/health18week.html

http://walkingconnection.com/training-to-walk-a-marathon/

I think this is what I've come up with so far. I'll let you know if I find something awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter