Walking with cane and being disable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Sgt

Earning My Ears
I just finished my trip at Disney and was denied handicap access about four times because I walk with a cane and not a wheelchair.
I’m a 25 years army veteran and has had my spine fusion from s1 to l2 and two other back surgery. I have no feeling from my waist to my foot on left side and have ptsd also. Standing in line kill me and big groups bothers me to . And I have a morphine pump to control cronic pain in my back and legs.

huh? 99% of the time you are mainstreamed.. everyone goes through the same line. if you cannot do stairs, you tell the CM when appropriate. otherwise, the standard accommodation is a wheelchair or ECV.

if you cannot stand for long periods of time then that's what you are expected to do.. that and use Fast Pass+ to minimize waiting on lines. as for crowded lines you have 2 options: request your traveling companions provide a buffer around you so you are not jostled, or.. use a mobility device such as a WC or ECV( built in buffer zone) . if you have other issues that mean you cannot wait in a standard line, you request a DAS( NOT a guarantee you will be given one). you will need to explain WHY you cannot wait in a standby line that is NOT mobility or fatigue related.

I just finished my trip at Disney and was denied handicap access about four times because I walk with a cane and not a wheelchair.
I’m a 25 years army veteran and has had my spine fusion from s1 to l2 and two other back surgery. I have no feeling from my waist to my foot on left side and have ptsd also. Standing in line kill me and big groups bothers me to . And I have a morphine pump to control cronic pain in my back and legs.
What did you want Disney to do there only about 3 or 4 rides in all of Disneyworld that has a separate line ( and most of those are for people in wheelchair or ECV anyways). It sounds like you need more help with mobility than just a cain

I Have done Disneyland the last 8 years with a cane, and I always get either a return time for Fantasyland rides, . Fantasyland is pretty much the only area where you would get a return time do to the historic non ADS compliant lines.... other areas of the park we go standby line.. we use Fastpass also. when we get to the loading area I request the wheelchair loading area if they have one , because I cant do stairs.
My son has gotten the DAS due to cognitive disabilities and so we get a return time there too..

Disney very clearly states that if you cant stand for long periods of time then you should get a wheelchair or ECV. they separated mobility guests from what used to be the GAC ,, due to a lot of miss use, but also because they do accommodate those with physical issues.. whether that be wheelchair , cane, walking boot and or crutches..

It would be interesting to have more information on what area you were denied "handicap " access.

Thank you for your service to our country. Also, welcome to the boards.

If you can explain a bit more of what you mean by being denied handicap access, people on here might be able to better help. What were you denied access to? As others have stated, the lines are almost all wheelchair/ ECV accessible now so for the most part there aren't separate lines for those with mobility issues. For lines that have stairs, you can ask a cast member for a different route and for rides that have moving walkways, some, but not all, can be slowed. Other than that, there really aren't any other accommodations Disney offers for lines for those with mobility difficulties. I'm sorry that you had a tough time, but it is typically recommended that anyone who has difficulty standing or walking for long periods to bring/ rent a wheelchair or ECV. As I'm sure you noticed, there aren't very many benches or other places to sit throughout the parks and the parks do require a lot of walking.

Please come back and share a little more info so others can give you some additional guidance.

The process to get 'handicap access' isn't done at the attractions. In order to get your ptsd situation acknowledged, you need to go to guest services at one of the parks and speak to a CM there. You need to explain what it is about a standard queue that makes it hard for you to access an attraction. For mobility issues, WDW states you should use a wheelchair or ECV (personal responsibility) as there is a lot of mobility needed outside of attractions. If you can walk/stand in the rest of the park, then Disney expects that you can walk/stand in a queue.

Most every time was dealing with a bus after waiting in line behind 25-50 cheerleader and I can not stand on the a bus when it’s moving and most time I have learn that people will not get up and give you there seat. Even using a wheelchair you turn it back in before you leave the park.
I a very strong minded person and why should I put a burden on my wife to push me around in a wheelchair. I try to walk to keep muscle in my legs because have serious nerve damage on my left side like can’t feel hot, cold are any thing on left side.
The last night me and my wife made it out to the bus stop and there was about 100 people in front of me and at this point my pain level was getting off the chart. Then I see one of the worker let a lady go pass everyone and get in the handicap borading and I ask her if I could go in there also and she said it was only for wheel chair . I told here that I was handicap and she was Very Rude saying (O- you are) like I was trying to cut in line. After standing in line for over four buses I could hardly walk after getting back to our room I got in the started taking pain meds two at a time . Got in hot tub of water for hour and half till they cut it off for repairs.,that night I tryed to sleep in bed on floor seat in chair and could not find any relief from pain. I even thought about going to the exam room, I New all they could do was give me a shot of morphine and send me back home.,so I had to ride 12 hrs with under these conditions.
I’m not a person that ask for a whole bunch Just little help when I need it and not look at like I’m lieing
We are a Disney family and go just about ever years also stock holders , this is our 3rd time in less than a year and have a trip with my son in June. This has only happen one trip last February and I got hurt in the military in 2002. I try to walk as much as I can but it comes a time I just need a little help .
Yaw just remember when I hurt I’m all ready on a morphine pump putting meds in my lower spine at L2-S1 and oral pain meds or for brake thur pain.

Most every time was dealing with a bus after waiting in line behind 25-50 cheerleader and I can not stand on the a bus when it’s moving and most time I have learn that people will not get up and give you there seat. Even using a wheelchair you turn it back in before you leave the park.
I a very strong minded person and why should I put a burden on my wife to push me around in a wheelchair. I try to walk to keep muscle in my legs because have serious nerve damage on my left side like can’t feel hot, cold are any thing on left side.
The last night me and my wife made it out to the bus stop and there was about 100 people in front of me and at this point my pain level was getting off the chart. Then I see one of the worker let a lady go pass everyone and get in the handicap borading and I ask her if I could go in there also and she said it was only for wheel chair . I told here that I was handicap and she was Very Rude saying (O- you are) like I was trying to cut in line. After standing in line for over four buses I could hardly walk after getting back to our room I got in the started taking pain meds two at a time . Got in hot tub of water for hour and half till they cut it off for repairs.,that night I tryed to sleep in bed on floor seat in chair and could not find any relief from pain. I even thought about going to the exam room, I New all they could do was give me a shot of morphine and send me back home.,so I had to ride 12 hrs with under these conditions.
I’m not a person that ask for a whole bunch Just little help when I need it and not look at like I’m lieing
We are a Disney family and go just about ever years also stock holders , this is our 3rd time in less than a year and have a trip with my son in June. This has only happen one trip last February and I got hurt in the military in 2002. I try to walk as much as I can but it comes a time I just need a little help .
Yaw just remember when I hurt I’m all ready on a morphine pump putting meds in my lower spine at L2-S1 and oral pain meds or for brake thur pain.
Sorry, this happened to you. I would suggest at the end of the night getting a courtesy wheelchair so in the event, you do have to wait for a bus you do have a place to sit. ( If the CM does not let you in the handicap area) then you will have a place to sit in line when you get to the front if there are no sets you do not have to get on but you can wait for the next bus and be one of the first ones on. I would look into getting something for when you are at the parks too you can use a wheelchair like a walker ( or a roller) and just use it as a set if you are standing somewhere for a while or park it when you do not need it. ( mobility problems are really the guest responsibility to help them selfs now)

Disney's official answer to anything mobility related is, Rent a wheelchair! Even if you don't need one or use one in everyday life.

Liability prevents CM's from assisting guests - even with a steadying arm! Some CM's may risk it but most won't.

And you would be horrified, offended, disgusted and shocked to see the extent to which cheating guests will try to exploit the system to "cut the line" or "get a freebie" or to be given a different experience. So no, they cannot take you at your word, your morphine pump, a doctor's note or anything else. Disney defaulted to the position of, "Rent a wheelchair if you have stamina or psychological issues." Sadly this is why you see so many more ECVs and wheelchairs in the Park...

Can't walk more than a mile? Rent a wheelchair! Have diabetes and get exhausted easily? Rent a wheelchair! Have seizures if exposed to flashing lights? Bring a blanket to cover your face and rent a wheelchair! :P Tripped, ripped a shoe off and have asphalt scrapes on your ankle? Rent a wheelchair! Violently coated a trashcan in vomit? Rent a wheelchair! I could keep going....

That's why the DAS system had to change from its previous format. Now everyone is treated the same and those who have mobility issues are given extra time to join the line and maybe not stand there for 45 minutes. But that depends on which ride we're talking! I think many people are waiting 4 hours for the Avatar rides...

And as PP pointed out, EVERYTHING about Disney is "waiting in a line" so if that doesn't work for you on vacation with such mobility issues, you may need to think about different destinations because the crowds are not going to improve in the next 5 years! ;)

Everyone here has awesome advice and I think you should formulate a plan for your return trip to the Parks based on their information.

Could you use an ECV rather than your wife pushing a wheelchair? You do not have to remain seated all day; feel free to park it now and then to walk around an area, then ride to the next area. An ECV (or wheelchair) rented from an offsite vendor is actually less expensive and you get to use it to/from the parks as well as around the resort if needed. That would also get you into the back door of the buses.

Leaving the parks at closing, with the large crowds of people, yes there are long lines with no seating to wait for a bus. You could hang back in the park, grab a snack then sit and people watch, or do some shopping -- let the crowds die down before heading to the bus. My family needs seats on the bus as well; if we find we are at the front of the line to board the bus when it's standing room only, we let others go ahead of us and wait for the next bus.

WDW parks require so much more walking than most of us do on a normal day in our lives at home. Using a mobility device for the large amount of walking/standing is really the only solution to having a place to sit and rest periodically. My DD has used a stroller on our vacations even though here at home we don't use it.

If you haven't seen it yet, the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a lot of useful information for all kinds of needs. You may find it helpful.

I'm very sorry you were in pain and had a less-than-magical vacation.

OP, my husband has had major back surgery also. He has resulting nerve damage in one leg, and walks with a severe limp.
He is going to use a collapsible cane while at WDW in a couple of weeks. If he is having too much difficulty walking, he will rent an ECV while in the park. He refuses to rent one from an off site company,, which is cheaper, and use it all the time. He says he won't hold up the bus line for an ECV, even though he needs it.
The bottom line is: he wants to walk as much as he can for his leg muscles, just like you do. BUT he knows he will need the assist of an ECV at times, and he can also get off it, park it, and walk for a while if he wants to. There are options, and I hope you find yours so you can enjoy the parks more.

Most every time was dealing with a bus after waiting in line behind 25-50 cheerleader and I can not stand on the a bus when it’s moving and most time I have learn that people will not get up and give you there seat. Even using a wheelchair you turn it back in before you leave the park. so what were you expecting? if you cannot stand on the bus then you either wait for another one where you can get a seat or you find alternate transportation.
The last night me and my wife made it out to the bus stop and there was about 100 people in front of me and at this point my pain level was getting off the chart. Then I see one of the worker let a lady go pass everyone and get in the handicap borading and I ask her if I could go in there also and she said it was only for wheel chair . I told here that I was handicap and she was Very Rude saying (O- you are) like I was trying to cut in line. the HA section *is* for wheelchairs and ECV s only as it is a ramp access and the bus can be lowered in front to allow people with difficulty on stairs to step up easier After standing in line for over four buses I could hardly walk after getting back to our room I got in the started taking pain meds two at a time . Got in hot tub of water for hour and half till they cut it off for repairs.,that night I tryed to sleep in bed on floor seat in chair and could not find any relief from pain. I even thought about going to the exam room, I New all they could do was give me a shot of morphine and send me back home.,so I had to ride 12 hrs with under these conditions.

you failed to make alternate arrangements when the bus lines were too long. that meant renting an offsite chair or ECV. nothing says your have to use it the entire time. you also failed to take matters into your own hands when you realized there were 100 people in front of you.. and take a cab or Uber. or maybe even the new Minnie vans could have been an option although I understand the waits for them can be very long as there are only a couple.

bottom line it is on YOU to prepare for all contingencies relating to your needs and not expect or assume anyone else will do it for you. you could have driven yourself to each park and had immediate transportation back the resort whenever you needed/wanted.

Firstly, thank you very much for your service to our country and for your sacrifices. I think your situation would benefit from a combination of assistances. For your stamina, walking and pain management, an ECV will be an immense help. As others have said, you can use it to get around the parks, but park and leave it in areas and walk around with your family. Your wife will not need to push you and you will have independence. When using the buses, you will have a seat, and can use the separate boarding areas.

Concerning the PTSD, please speak with a cast member at guest services at your first park, at the beginning of your next trip. Explain why waiting in the traditional queue is too much for you. You may be eligible for DAS. If so, you will be able to wait your time outside of the regular queue and then use the FP line. That line may be as long as 20 minutes or more depending on the popularity of the ride (or if it recently broke down).

I think with a combination of these, you will have a much better trip next time. But you do have to remember that WDW sees over 17 million visitors annually. They have to have rules in place that will suit the majority of visitors. WDW complies with all ADA regulations, but sometimes the solution isn't perfect for everyone.

I don’t have money running out of my pocket I’m a disabled veteran that don’t work so my wife save her money to go or my kids pay for my trip.?
All that need to have happen was the rude lady let me load the Frist bus in the handicap lane and all would have been great. So don’t tell me I fail to make other arrangements to get back to hotel. The shaded of green buses I had no trouble at all great hotel and bus service.
So don’t try to turn this around and say it’s my fault Mrs jvb !!!!!!!

Last edited:

A strong minded person should be responsible enough to take care of his own needs. You seem to be blaming everyone else for your issues, and really, they are your responsibility to take care of. And why not burden your wife, when you are willing to burden everyone else with your needs? Just to let you know - the back entrance to the bus is for wheelchair/ECV use only. There is no 'handicap' special access for the buses. There are seats that people are supposed to give up for those in need, but who can judge the needs of everyone in those seats? It really is on you to see to your own needs, and you haven't been willing to do so.

I gave up my seat twice (on the same bus) last week. Once to a family boarding with their ECV-using grandmother, and then at the next stop (I was at Saratoga Springs and they have 5 stops), I gave up my new seat to a mom with two kids, and another in her arms. Two younger-than-me men stayed seated, but who knows what kind of health issues they might be experiencing? I know from experience that you cannot judge a disability from just a glance.

I don’t have money running out of my pocket I’m a disabled veteran that don’t work so my wife save her money to go or my kids pay for my trip.?
All that need to have happen was the rude lady let me load the Frist bus in the handicap lane and all would have been great. So don’t tell me I fail to make other arrangements to get back to hotel. The shaded of green buses I had no trouble at all great hotel and bus service.
So don’t try to turn this around and say it’s my fault Mrs jvb !!!!!!!

But that is not protocol and it won't happen. So instead of just letting you be upset about it, people are trying to tell you how you need to handle things during a trip to WDW.

Only wheelchairs are allowed to board from the handicap spot. If you have a stamina problem Disney will tell you to handle it by renting a scooter or wheelchair.

I will tell you too that I just took my dad on a trip to WDW and he has stamina issues. So I'm not unaware of the challenges you faced.I rented a car so dad wouldn't have to stand on a bus. But if you seek help Disney will say use a scooter or wheelchair. Other than that you have to figure out what you can do for yourself to make things easier.

OP, my husband has had major back surgery also. He has resulting nerve damage in one leg, and walks with a severe limp.
He is going to use a collapsible cane while at WDW in a couple of weeks. If he is having too much difficulty walking, he will rent an ECV while in the park. He refuses to rent one from an off site company,, which is cheaper, and use it all the time. He says he won't hold up the bus line for an ECV, even though he needs it.
The bottom line is: he wants to walk as much as he can for his leg muscles, just like you do. BUT he knows he will need the assist of an ECV at times, and he can also get off it, park it, and walk for a while if he wants to. There are options, and I hope you find yours so you can enjoy the parks more.
I under stand other people has no idea what a cronic pain person goes thought. Good days next day bad and I’m was a military so giving up in no answer. I was restricted to the house for 3 1/2 years and I prayed to god if he put me back on my feet I would do everything in my power to do good for family,friends and who ever I come in contact with. I would give them my shirt off my back if they need it .
So I’m not trying to get over people , cut lines or get something for free. All I needed was a place on the Frist bus. It may think I’m complaining but I’m not I was in pain and that night my pain level was off the chart.

A strong minded person should be responsible enough to take care of his own needs. You seem to be blaming everyone else for your issues, and really, they are your responsibility to take care of. And why not burden your wife, when you are willing to burden everyone else with your needs? Just to let you know - the back entrance to the bus is for wheelchair/ECV use only. There is no 'handicap' special access for the buses. There are seats that people are supposed to give up for those in need, but who can judge the needs of everyone in those seats? It really is on you to see to your own needs, and you haven't been willing to do so.
Lady how can you judge a person or know what they have been thought in life and to my wife pushing me she has done enough, most women would have left a long time ago. I was taking care of my needs when I ask to seat on the bus and not stand for 45 min and I don’t use the back door any way .So don’t tell me or judge me till you walk a miles in my shoes. Thank you

Understood. However unless you are in a scooter or wheelchair you board in the order you are standing. If that doesn't work for you you need to seek other methods of getting around WDW.

We don't make the rules. We can only tell you what they are.
I know the rule but my pain level was getting to we’re i could not stand it and knowing I had to drive home the next day. That night I could not sleep in the bed I was on the floor or in the time b with hot water and taking pain medicine and two day later I still having trouble. Yaw for get I’m all ready on morphine pump so when my pain level rises it off the chart for others . All I wanted was a seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!