Walking with cane and being disable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, having had cancer, and having had multiple surgeries, I know nothing about chronic pain. I do know that I am responsible for taking care of my needs. No one here said you were trying to cut, just that you need to have better strategies to handle your own issues.

Then rent an ECV.

We are all suggesting that you need to do something yourself for your issues. You can try the tough guy route all you want, but it doesn't seem to be working well for you.
Yaw keep harping on what I should have done and the rules . I know the rules and were to seat and the in and out of the park. I probley been more than a lot of you at going for over 40 years
This was the Frist time I have ever got in that much pain and just need help . I could have lied and told her I was boarding with a friend that was in front of me but no I’m a honest man.
I will perpair for a next time that I hope never happens. Guess we are not getting any younger but at Disney you forget about pain and how old you are getting.
This is only the second time in the last five years it’s flared up that bad. I was trying to sleep on the floor in the room thinking about flying home and let my wife drive or go to the hospital and get a shot for the ride home. I took my brake thur meds every two hours till I made it home.
Hope yaw understand this don’t happen all the time and I can deal with a lot of pain my level every day is 3-5 so that nightly was off the chart . Only cronic pain people know what I’m talking about. I will be ready for my trip with my son in June.
So yaw people saying I should have plan ahead and this and that. This was the last thing I wanted to happen.
God Bless all the people that deal with pain everyday I know how you feel

I guess I don’t understand what you wanted at the time? You said you understood the CM was following the rules by not letting you board through the back door. So what did you expect them to do for you? Force someone to give up a seat?

I recommend you rent an ECV offsite next time to prevent yourself from getting in that situation again. If you or your family has enough money to “go more often than many of you” and “be a Disney stockholder” then there should be enough to rent an ECV from an offsite vendor. My disabled veteran father in law got one for a week for $150.

I don’t have money running out of my pocket I’m a disabled veteran that don’t work so my wife save her money to go or my kids pay for my trip.?
All that need to have happen was the rude lady let me load the Frist bus in the handicap lane and all would have been great. So don’t tell me I fail to make other arrangements to get back to hotel. The shaded of green buses I had no trouble at all great hotel and bus service.
So don’t try to turn this around and say it’s my fault Mrs jvb !!!!!!!

but is WAS your fault, Top. and sorry but a SGT should know better. you have been told multiple times that what you wanted/expected/demanded WAS NOT POSSIBLE due to Rules( call 'em Regs if you have to)

I know the rule but my pain level was getting to we’re i could not stand it and knowing I had to drive home the next day. That night I could not sleep in the bed I was on the floor or in the time b with hot water and taking pain medicine and two day later I still having trouble. Yaw for get I’m all ready on morphine pump so when my pain level rises it off the chart for others . All I wanted was a seat

again, big fat hairy deal. EVERYBODY wants a seat. and you were NOT the only person there that day in massive pain, on a pump or had other issues. you are NO MORE SPECIAL than anyone else.

What yaw don’t under stand my pain level was off the chart and I was needed to get back to get some releaf heat pad, pain meds or something to release the pain. I don’t ask for handicap every time we are at Disney it was that one time i need to leave then
Every other time we stay and shop for a hour but this time I need to leave stand in line for 45mins

and so? my pain level was off the chart more than once. because I was too bloody stubborn to GET A FREAKING WHEELCHAIR. with all due respect. I too am disabled( and FTR hubby is 75% disabled vet) and have been since I was five years old. so why in hell did you not have on your person extra pain meds? Why the hell did you wait until closing to decide you needed to get back to SoG and use a heating pad?! why didn't you have it on hand WITH YOU so you could take a break at first aid and use it BFORE you hit your limit?!

you keep spouting your service like it is some sort of entitlement to be treated better than everyone else. whatever happened to personal responsibility? as in Prepare for the worst and hope for the best?

bottom line..,. the way you were treated by the CM at the bus stop was PROTOCOL and she did NOTHING wrong. lesson learned. you overdid it, plain and simple and failed to take any measures to mitigate, prevent or handle that.

I guess I don’t understand what you wanted at the time? You said you understood the CM was following the rules by not letting you board through the back door. So what did you expect them to do for you? Force someone to give up a seat?

I recommend you rent an ECV offsite next time to prevent yourself from getting in that situation again. If you or your family has enough money to “go more often than many of you” and “be a Disney stockholder” then there should be enough to rent an ECV from an offsite vendor. My disabled veteran father in law got one for a week for $150.[/QUOTE
Yaw don’t understand I needed help right then and my best out was to get on the bus and not to stand for 45min know my pain was getting worse. Guess i should do like most and lie then I would have had a seat.
The CM was very rude when’s tryed to tell her that I was in severe pain and couldn’t stand in the line. I try to tell her and she questioned me about being handicap. I told her I was handicap and in pain and she said o you are looking up and down my body.
So I guess that more in taking about the way I was treated.

but is WAS your fault, Top. and sorry but a SGT should know better. you have been told multiple times that what you wanted/expected/demanded WAS NOT POSSIBLE due to Rules( call 'em Regs if you have to)

again, big fat hairy deal. EVERYBODY wants a seat. and you were NOT the only person there that day in massive pain, on a pump or had other issues. you are NO MORE SPECIAL than anyone else.

and so? my pain level was off the chart more than once. because I was too bloody stubborn to GET A FREAKING WHEELCHAIR. with all due respect. I too am disabled( and FTR hubby is 75% disabled vet) and have been since I was five years old. so why in hell did you not have on your person extra pain meds? Why the hell did you wait until closing to decide you needed to get back to SoG and use a heating pad?! why didn't you have it on hand WITH YOU so you could take a break at first aid and use it BFORE you hit your limit?!

you keep spouting your service like it is some sort of entitlement to be treated better than everyone else. whatever happened to personal responsibility? as in Prepare for the worst and hope for the best?

bottom line..,. the way you were treated by the CM at the bus stop was PROTOCOL and she did NOTHING wrong. lesson learned. you overdid it, plain and simple and failed to take any measures to mitigate, prevent or handle that.
She didn’t have to be rude aand question me about being handicap. Guess that what bother me more than the pain.

I recommend you rent an ECV offsite next time to prevent yourself from getting in that situation again. If you or your family has enough money to “go more often than many of you” and “be a Disney stockholder” then there should be enough to rent an ECV from an offsite vendor. My disabled veteran father in law got one for a week for $150.
I don’t want any thing I’m just staying what happen with the cm and question me about being handicap

If this happens on your next trip and you do not have an ECV wheelchair with you. I would stop y the wheelchair renter place and see if you can not use a wheelchair to get to and on the bus, This way you will have something to sit on if there is a wait for the bus and you will have a set on the bus. But like others have said you need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I bring hand and body warmers to the park for my pain helps a lot and they last a few hours.

SGT. - You state that you know the rules, but you have missed something big time.

There is NO HANDICAP ACCESS for disabled people at the buses. There is access for MOBILITY DEVICES that cannot enter at the front - which secondarily allows access for the individuals who are using them. People are allowed to board via the back ramp because they are using a device that cannot enter via the front entrance. Just being handicapped does not qualify one to enter via the ramp. That is not the purpose of the back ramp.

If I literally could not stand to wait because of an unexpected medical onset I would ask a CM to call the REEDY Creek emergency services.

I have been disabled for 15 years. I now have virtually no use of my left leg. A tumor on my sciatic nerve caused the most excruciating 24/7 pain imaginable. My DH was a Vietnam Army Ranger. I do have sincere empathy for your suffering.

You were not denied access to the handicapped line because they didn't believe you. The handicapped line is for people boarding with a mobility device. The devices take up a lot of space and need to be boarded first for the safety of everyone. This applies to wheelchairs as well as some wheelchairs can be tied down, but even if they cannot, they MUST be folded and stored.

As you were using a cane, you did not require the time and space needed to accommodate ecvs or wheelchairs. Yes you were tired and in pain, but so were at least half the people there. You have no way of judging how much pain or discomfort any of those other people were in.

You said this was the first time it had flared so badly at Disney. Take this as a learning experience that next time you will need to at a minimum get a courtesy chair to the buses and adjust your touring accordingly. It happens to everyone - what works for a long time suddenly doesn't any more. It's up to you to adjust to those changes, not Disney.

You were not denied access to the handicapped line because they didn't believe you. The handicapped line is for people boarding with a mobility device. The devices take up a lot of space and need to be boarded first for the safety of everyone. This applies to wheelchairs as well as some wheelchairs can be tied down, but even if they cannot, they MUST be folded and stored.

As you were using a cane, you did not require the time and space needed to accommodate ecvs or wheelchairs. Yes you were tired and in pain, but so were at least half the people there. You have no way of judging how much pain or discomfort any of those other people were in.

You said this was the first time it had flared so badly at Disney. Take this as a learning experience that next time you will need to at a minimum get a courtesy chair to the buses and adjust your touring accordingly. It happens to everyone - what works for a long time suddenly doesn't any more. It's up to you to adjust to those changes, not Disney.[/QUOTEi
If yaw look on the ground floor there a handicap sign there no sign saying wheelchair only or scooter only.

Why are we still arguing about this?

Yes, there is a handicap paint mark and no sign. And? So? What does that matter? There's no legal obligation to tell you or anyone else with a sign that it's just for mobility device loading. It's just a visual marker.

If you understand the rules with the bus and you understand that the CM was following those rules, what else are you looking for? If they were rude, that was uncalled for. It's possible they didn't quite understand what you were looking for - particularly if you continued to try and make your point the way you are now. Because heck, even I don't know what you were looking for after the CM advised you that you could not go into the mobility loading area and/or get on the bus first to guarantee a seat. It was a no.

Does it stink that this happened? Yes, absolutely. Does it stink to have needs that can be met with an accommodation not offered to you? Yes, absolutely. If the CM was rude you can email Disney Guest Relations about it, but it still won't resolve the issue you're having which is to find an accommodation in case you are in immense pain again.

If you will not rent a wheelchair or EVC (be it money or pride) you can drive to the parks and that would solve your problem. You said you had a drive home the next day - driving to the parks would have cost you nothing. You already had the vehicle and parking when staying on property is free. It would have saved you a hefty wait in line and guaranteed you a seat.

If that's the only issue you're trying to get solved here for your June trip, this is your solution. Continually talking about your pain pump, fatigue, chronic pain issues, etc is going to get you zero solution at Disney. Period. Because it's not just you, and there were likely 10 more people in that same line that would have appreciated the same accommodations at the bus you were asking for. It's not going to happen so there's no reason to keep discussing it. Those facts will not solve the issue you had for your June trip.

There is NO HANDICAP ACCESS for disabled people at the buses. There is access for MOBILITY DEVICES that cannot enter at the front - which secondarily allows access for the individuals who are using them. People are allowed to board via the back ramp because they are using a device that cannot enter via the front entrance. Just being handicapped does not qualify one to enter via the ramp. That is not the purpose of the back ramp.

This is really the summary of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!