Wally World or Bust! A Goody Cross Country Adventure (Pre Trip and Trip Report July 2017)

my2disneyboys

DIS Veteran
castle.png

Hello and welcome to Wally World or Bust! A Goody Cross Country Adventure (Pre Trip and Trip Report July 2017)!!!

I hope you will join me in planning and hearing all about our trip of a lifetime!

A little background on us: My name is Nickie, Wayne is my husband and we have two sons; Myles and Owen. We are self proclaimed Disney Freaks!! Myles first trip to Disney was when he was 9 months old... Owen when he was 8 weeks old and we have gone back every year and sometimes we have snuck in two trips a year! The boys have a youtube station DizKids and hubby keeps a blog - he writes about our trips and planning and our family disney movie nights. https://weheartdisney.wordpress.com/ - So yes, we are pretty obsessed with Disney!! We have been to Disney World about 20 times now and once we did the Disney Dream Cruise. This is our first time ever going to Disneyland!

SO WHY DISNEYLAND?? Well.... Wayne and I have had to listen to everyone we know suggest we take the kids someplace besides Disney World.... and for years we have not listened and fought with people trying to get them to understand what Disney World means to us and to our family. It is like a second home.... a place where we know and we are comfortable and a place where we can act like kids and forget all our stress. It is a place where we have watched our children grow... It is truly the most magical place on earth to us!! Wayne and I took a trip cross country on our honeymoon and we dreamed back then of someday repeating the trip with our children. We have been planning to drive cross country with the kids since our honeymoon trip 14 years ago. We just wanted to wait until the boys were at a good age to appreciate it and an age that we could handle all being stuck in a car together for two weeks! Well, the time has come!! In about 100 days, we will hit the road and start our adventure and what better ending to our big adventure than ending it with 4 days in Disneyland!?

THE PLAN: We are going to start our adventure with roast beef sandwiches on Revere Beach - dipping our toes into the Atlantic Ocean.... We will pick up our rental car and pack it up... our adventure will begin very early!

Day one: Leave Boston, MA and drive to Cooperstown, NY. (about 5 hours) We will visit the Baseball Hall of Fame and stay the night in Cooperstown.

Day two: Cooperstown to Niagara Falls (about 4.5 Hours) - We have a fireworks cruise booked (the Hornblower) that will take us pretty close to the falls while enjoying a cocktail and watching the falls turn colors and the fireworks to celebrate Canada Day! We booked a hotel in Niagara Falls on the Canada side that has a view of the falls!

Day three: Niagara Falls to Toronto (about 1.5 Hours) - We will be heading to Toronto early as we have a big day planned! First stop is the Hockey Hall of Fame followed by a Boston Red Sox/Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Game! We are really excited!!! We will spend the night in Toronto - the hotels are pretty expensive here and I am finding that parking is never included and is also pretty expensive!

Day four: Toronto to Michigan (about 5 hours) - A little back story here... The DIS is a wonderful place and through my love of Disney I have met some lifelong friends. We will be meeting up with one of my DIS friends in Michigan! I can't wait to see her and her family again. We first met at the Plaza in 2009. Crazy to think we have kept in touch and even met up at Disney since then! The plan is to have Dinner with Wendy and her family and then spend the night in Michigan. We are staying at a hotel in small town on a lake - they have a 4th of July Boat Parade that we will plan to watch!

Day five: Michigan to Chicago, IL. (about 5 hours) - We will spend the 4th of July in Chicago! Wayne's brother lives here and just bought a new house so we will spend the night with him and his family. We can't wait! We plan to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo - which we can walk to from their house (this will be really nice after so much time in the car!) and I am not sure what our evening plans will be. We will just be happy to be with family!

Day six: Chicago to Cuba, MO. (about 4 hours) - We will probably spend some time with the family and leave after breakfast. Our plan is to get a picture of the "Route 66 Begins" sign in Chicago. We have so many fun and quirky stops planned along Route 66! First stop - Cozy Dog for lunch in Springfield, MO. In Cuba, MO we will be staying at the Wagon Wheel Motel and having dinner at Hicks BBQ and after dinner we found a Drive in which we hope Cars 3 will be playing!

Day seven: Cuba, MO. to Weatherford, OK. (about 7 hours- longest drive on the trip) - We will be stopping along the Route 66 highlights and basically just trying to get out west at this point! We are staying the night in Weatherford, OK. Our plan is stop at Uranus Fudge, The Blue Whale, Lunch at Rock Café in Stroud, OK - The Owner is who Sally from Cars is based from... a stop at POP's Soda - for root beer floats in Arcadia, OK.

Day eight: Weatherford, OK. to Albuquerque, NM. (about 6.5 hours) - We will hit the road early and stop for lunch at Kix on 66, in Tucumcari, NM. We plan to stop at Cadillac Ranch in TX. The hotel in NM is in the Old Town and we hope to have a nice night walking around the Old Town and having a great dinner!

Day nine: Albuquerque, NM. to Grand Canyon, AZ (about 6 hours) - Finally after a lot of driving, we will be at a huge stop! I am so excited to show the kids the Grand Canyon! We booked the Kachina Lodge and will be watching the sunset after dinner at the El Tovar Hotel - a little back story... When I was 19 I actually worked at the El Tovar! I always dreamed that someday I would come back with my family and be a tourist. I am really excited!!! We plan to wake up early and watch the sunrise and get some amazing pictures! Then we will hit the road after a little exploring for Las Vegas!

Day ten: Grand Canyon, AZ. to Las Vegas, NV. (about 4.5 hours) - I wish we could stay longer in the GC but we have to keep moving!! We have a fun filled day planned for Las Vegas. It will be a much different trip than I have ever taken to Las Vegas having kids with us!! We let them plan the day actually, and we will be visiting a lot of the hotels, the M&M World, The Coke Store, Going on a Gondola Ride at the Venetian and having dinner at a buffet! We got an amazing deal using points on our hotel and will be staying at the Palazzo for only $50.00 - for a king suite!!

Day eleven: Las Vegas, NV. to Anaheim, CA!!!!!!! (about 4 hours) FINALLY!!! We made it and it better not be closed!! We will first drive to Santa Monica and soak our toes into the Pacific Ocean and get a picture of "Route 66 Ends Here". We plan to spend some time at the beach and go to Pacific Pier. That night we will head to Howard Johnson's at Disneyland - where we will be spending the next 5 nights before flying home from LAX to Boston. We plan to eat at Tortilla Joes that night in Downtown Disney and hopefully watch the fireworks from our balcony at our hotel!

UP NEXT: Day twelve-Day seventeen! Hope you are still interested in hearing more!! I am going to detail our plan for Disneyland. Here is where I need your help! Being a Disneyworld VET I am so confused and lost with my planning for Disneyland. I will take whatever tips or ideas you have!!

1378281707-walleyworldanimals.png

Attachments

• enhanceMRURQN0P.jpg
    enhanceMRURQN0P.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Just found this and super excited to follow along. Your trip sounds amazing and I LOVE road trips and to read about others and I hope you post lots of pics. My family loves road trips as well and while we have never driven coast to coast we have done some starting in the middle and going east. In 2013 we flew to St. Louis where my mom grew up and then drove east through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky with a stop at Churchill Downs, West Virginia and then we headed south through Virginia and the Carolinas. We ended in Charleston. Such an AMAZING and fun trip. Then this past summer we flew to Nashville and then went all the way to North Carolina then headed to South Carolina and back through Atlanta, Miss, Ala and ended in New Orleans. Another AMAZING and fun trip!! We def want to go back to the Carolinas and my parents have not been to DC and I want to take them there. We also want to go back and spend more time in Georgia both Savannah and Atlanta and see more of Tennesse. Memphis etc. We are also planning a New England trip (your neck of the woods). Plan to fly into NYC and spend 4 days and then drive up and do a few days in Boston, Salem and up to Maine around to Vermont and back down through Upstate.

Really jealous of your Niagra Falls. I tried to convince my mom but it is quite a drive and out of our way so that was a no go but it is def on my bucket list.

I also want to go to Michigan. Love Somewhere in Time and have always wanted to visit Makinac Island. My goal is to visit all 50 states and the great lakes states are on my list as is Chicago.

Ironic that you are going to GC and Vegas. I was JUST there for a work convention 2 weeks ago. Had a great time but didn't even touch the surface of everything to do in Vegas. You guys will have a blast!

I am from Northern CA and DL is my home park. We are going again next month to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. Feel free to ask any and all questions and I would be happy to help.

So exciting and look forward to following along!!

Just found this and super excited to follow along. Your trip sounds amazing and I LOVE road trips and to read about others and I hope you post lots of pics. My family loves road trips as well and while we have never driven coast to coast we have done some starting in the middle and going east. In 2013 we flew to St. Louis where my mom grew up and then drove east through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky with a stop at Churchill Downs, West Virginia and then we headed south through Virginia and the Carolinas. We ended in Charleston. Such an AMAZING and fun trip. Then this past summer we flew to Nashville and then went all the way to North Carolina then headed to South Carolina and back through Atlanta, Miss, Ala and ended in New Orleans. Another AMAZING and fun trip!! We def want to go back to the Carolinas and my parents have not been to DC and I want to take them there. We also want to go back and spend more time in Georgia both Savannah and Atlanta and see more of Tennesse. Memphis etc. We are also planning a New England trip (your neck of the woods). Plan to fly into NYC and spend 4 days and then drive up and do a few days in Boston, Salem and up to Maine around to Vermont and back down through Upstate.

Really jealous of your Niagra Falls. I tried to convince my mom but it is quite a drive and out of our way so that was a no go but it is def on my bucket list.

I also want to go to Michigan. Love Somewhere in Time and have always wanted to visit Makinac Island. My goal is to visit all 50 states and the great lakes states are on my list as is Chicago.

Ironic that you are going to GC and Vegas. I was JUST there for a work convention 2 weeks ago. Had a great time but didn't even touch the surface of everything to do in Vegas. You guys will have a blast!

I am from Northern CA and DL is my home park. We are going again next month to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. Feel free to ask any and all questions and I would be happy to help.

So exciting and look forward to following along!!

Thank you!! We are SUPER excited about this trip! I will be posting lots of pictures!! So lucky that you can just drive to Disneyland from your house anytime!

Our Disneyland Plan:

Day 12 - Hollywood, CA - Today we plan to wake up and have breakfast at this place called Mimi's - it is next door to the HOJO's and gets really good reviews. We will then head out to Hollywood and take the Warner Bros. Studio Tour. We had originally thought we would go to Universal but we really just do not have the time for it and want to explore a little of Hollywood. The tour looks awesome! We are HUGE fans of Friends and Gilmore Girls - so seeing Stars Hollow and Luke's Diner and Central Perk - OH SO EXCITING!!! We can even sit on the couch and order a coffee and bring home our own "Central Perk"!!

untitled.png

That afternoon we have to return the rental car - I cannot even imagine what it will look like after we have basically lived in it for 12 days! :eek: Our plan is once the rental car is returned, to just go back to the hotel and enjoy the pool and have a cocktail and relax. has anyone stayed at Howard Johnson's? The pool area looks great- and I have read it is only a 7 minute walk. This will be such a difference from all of our trips to Disney World. We always stay on property and pay for the Deluxe Resorts so we can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios - but this was pretty cool to not have to pay deluxe and still be walking distance to the parks!

Dinner is going to be at The Disneyland Hotel - Steakhouse 55. Has anyone been here???

DSC_9722.jpg

Up Next: Day 13 - Disneyland!!

1378281707-walleyworldanimals.png

I love reading PTRs! What an epic and awesome road trip you're going to have! We are staying at Hojo's, also. We're going to be there 5/30-6/3. First time for us staying there. Picked it because of all of the rave reviews here about their customer service. Plus they don't charge for parking and we are driving to Anaheim from Tucson.

I've always wanted to try Steakhouse 55!

BTW, according to the Google pedometer map, Hojos to the center point of the esplanade is about 0.50 miles. At the end of the day when our family is super tired, I think that the 7-min walk will be more like 10-15 min. :goodvibesHere's a picture!
hojo to DL.PNG

LOVE the shirts. So fun. And as for driving any time we want...well yea technically but it is still 7 to 8 hours depending on traffic so we don't do it that often LOL. But if you search you can get good airfare sometimes and we usually fly. We have driven and usually drive when we want to do more than just Disney. We love exploring So cal and have done several trips like that. We have done the WB tour and loved it. I have been to Universal many times but the one in Florida is much better and we really liked the WB because it was different. Even though we are from CA we did one of those bus tours as well. We have done 2. One was an open air van that went into Beverly Hills, up to the Hollywood sign and the Griffith Observatory then we did another big greyhound type bus that was a longer tour that went all over LA. China town Hollywood, The grove. It was really fun. We also toured the Kodak Theater (where they have the oscars) and that is super fun and interesting. There is SO much to see and do down there you guys will have a blast. Be sure and check out the El Capitan theater (on Hollywood Blvd) and the ghiradelli ice cream store.

I have stayed at Hojos and it is decent. Def has one of the better pools. It is a bit of a walk esp at the end of the day but def doable. We usually stay RIGHT across the street at the Desert Inn or the Ramada. They are def NOT fancy but decent and the closest.

We have eaten at SH55 many times and it is delish.

LOVE the shirts. So fun. And as for driving any time we want...well yea technically but it is still 7 to 8 hours depending on traffic so we don't do it that often LOL. But if you search you can get good airfare sometimes and we usually fly. We have driven and usually drive when we want to do more than just Disney. We love exploring So cal and have done several trips like that. We have done the WB tour and loved it. I have been to Universal many times but the one in Florida is much better and we really liked the WB because it was different. Even though we are from CA we did one of those bus tours as well. We have done 2. One was an open air van that went into Beverly Hills, up to the Hollywood sign and the Griffith Observatory then we did another big greyhound type bus that was a longer tour that went all over LA. China town Hollywood, The grove. It was really fun. We also toured the Kodak Theater (where they have the oscars) and that is super fun and interesting. There is SO much to see and do down there you guys will have a blast. Be sure and check out the El Capitan theater (on Hollywood Blvd) and the ghiradelli ice cream store.

I have stayed at Hojos and it is decent. Def has one of the better pools. It is a bit of a walk esp at the end of the day but def doable. We usually stay RIGHT across the street at the Desert Inn or the Ramada. They are def NOT fancy but decent and the closest.

We have eaten at SH55 many times and it is delish.

Thanks for the good tips!! Now I feel less bad about missing out on Universal - and we went to the one in Florida twice in the last few years! Have you taken that ATA bus? I think that is what it is called- just wondering if that ten minute walk seems like it will be hard for the little guys (and me- who am I kidding!?) if that bus is an easy option or not?!

Thank you - this map is AWESOME! Because you will be staying at HoJo's soon - please let us know how it was! The kids are really looking forward to the pool :-)

Thanks for the good tips!! Now I feel less bad about missing out on Universal - and we went to the one in Florida twice in the last few years! Have you taken that ATA bus? I think that is what it is called- just wondering if that ten minute walk seems like it will be hard for the little guys (and me- who am I kidding!?) if that bus is an easy option or not?!

Honestly you shouldn't need the ART bus at the Hojo. It is def an option but we used it years ago when we were farther down on the other side of Harbor or Katella. Anything on that side is doable but you just have to decide what is comfortable for you. The only problem with the buses is waiting and them being crowded and you will see when you get there it is not too bad. The good thing is I believe you can buy the tickets on a daily basis if need be.

We stayed there when my girls were like 8 and 9 and they did the walk no problem. We stay right across the street now because my mom has bad knees and usually gets a scooter but it is also nice if we want to run back to the room mid day. And now that they moved security it will be nicer not having to go through that so many times.

As I said if there are any other questions you have about restaurants, the Disney hotels etc feel free. The only thing I don't know about yet is now that they moved the gates not too sure how it all works with going from like the Grand into the parks or from DTD. I will know though after I go next month and would be happy to share. I have eaten at just about every place in DTD, the hotels and the parks so I am happy to share.

Oh and I had to laugh about Mimi's. It is really good and supposedly "french" themed but they have your typical sandwhiches, soups and some entrees that vary. It is a chain here in CA and they are everywhere. It is good though and you should enjoy it.

Our Disneyland Plan - Day 13

Today will be our first day in Disneyland! We have been trying to do research and figure it all out. It is so weird because I feel like I know EVERYTHING there is to know about Disney World and yet feel so lost with my Disneyland planning. I am a pretty obsessive planner and at Disney World I can book all my dining 180 days before the trip - all my fastpasses are booked and linked onto mydisneyexperience and linked with all our family and friends going on the trip.... My Disney resort has been checked in online and I know that when I arrive on Magical Express, my luggage will soon be waiting in my room and there will be a cast member to greet me and say "welcome home" and will give me our packet of information and our room number - or even better yet- sometimes we get a text message on our phone saying "your room is ready - use your magic band and go right to your room!"

Needless to say I am lost!

But here is our plan - let me know if you see any major flaws in this or if you have a better strategy for us.

Wednesday, July 12th - Disneyland! We plan to wake up around 6AM - I am going to call 60 days before and try to get a reservation for the Plaza at 7AM. By the time we are done eating the park will be opening up - I think?! It is also crazy how I can't find official park hours and the trip is only 3 months away. So, planning on it opening up at 8AM - maybe we can catch Rope Drop ... has anyone done this at Disneyland? Is it worth going to?

1. Ride Peter Pan's Flight first
  2. Alice in Wonderland
  3. Space Mountain FASTPASS Booth
  4. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
  5. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  6. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
  7. Hyperspace Mountain
  8. Obtain a Fantasmic! FASTPASS
    Go to Big Thunder Trail and obtain a Fantasmic! FASTPASS. (if showing)
  9. Splash Mountain FASTPASS Booth
  10. Jungle Cruise
  11. Lunch - Hungry Bear Cafe
  12. Pirates of the Caribbean
    Go to New Orleans Square and experience Pirates of the Caribbean
  13. Haunted Mansion
  14. Ride Splash Mountain
Go to hotel for break/pool
  1. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  2. Indiana Jones Adventure FASTPASS Booth
  3. Matterhorn Bobsleds
  4. it's a small world
  5. Indiana Jones Adventure
    Go to Adventureland and ride Indiana Jones Adventure
  6. Tarzan's Treehouse
  7. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad FASTPASS Booth
  8. Enchanted Tiki Room
    Return to Adventureland and see the show at the Enchanted Tiki Room
  9. Eat dinner.
    Eat dinner. Café Orleans
  10. The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
  11. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
We watched the fireworks on Youtube last night - are they nightly? Can we get a fastpass for them? They were pretty awesome!! We LOVE wishes! and this was so similar but had all the theme music from the parks. I really want to see them.

Ok first you are more then welcome to do reservations at 60 days out however you don't necessarily need to. Unless it is a super packed time like the holidays you can get ressies at most places literally the week of or even the day before and sometimes even day of. One of the things I LOVE about DL vs DW. If you are worried at all though go ahead and make them 60 days out then you know you will have them. DL however does not put their hours up until literally the last min. 1 to 2 months out tops sometimes less. If it is summer the park should open at 8 every day but possibly 9. I am pretty sure 8 though because of course it being summer and they should stay open till 11 or 12 every night. Summer is their high season and they have long hours. The fireworks "should" be playing every night as well. As will the parades. Again they have changed a lot lately and esp with the construction but that is how it always has been. Summer is a HUGE time for the parks and they usually have all the entertainment going every day. The restaurants you really need to worry about are things like Blue Bayou. I would make one for carnation cafe or cafe orleans and plaza is a good idea but you don't necessarily need it months in advance. That is a character meal did you know that? And don't waste your magic morning on that. Do that on a day you aren't doing mm.

As far as early entries if you get them with your passes use them. If you are not staying onsite the only magic morning you will get is DL. I believe you can do that any day of the week. They did a thing for hotel guests that had early entry to each park but it was on different days. You may need to ask because I am not sure if they are still doing it but with most of the park hoppers you get 1 magic morning and again I am pretty sure you can use it any day. IF they are still doing early entry for hotel guests to DCA you will want to find out which days that is and go on a day that is not ee but then again I have heard that they may get to do it any day so you need to ask someone who has done it recently. We haven't stayed onsite in a few years and I think it has changed.

If you have a magic morning use it. I would head straight to Fantasyland and do Peter Pan first. It is not much different then DW and DW has a much better que. But the line gets horrendous. As soon as you get off of that I would send your dh or whoever to go get the first fast pass that you are interested in. Since you will be near tomorrowland I would recommend Space. Then it will tell you on the FP when you can get your next one. Sometimes it is not till after you use the first one but sometimes it is 2 hours. Depends. But the early morning is THE best time to get the most done.

You can easily get a lot of the big stuff done in the first few hours. We still get FP though as we go to get the ball rolling. So for example we would get one for space and then do more of FL or some of TL like buzz or you can try and go on star tours. Then just keep collecting those fp's as soon as you are able. Some of this may change if they go to max pass by then and if that is the case I am not sure what to tell you since no one really knows how that will affect things but I am sure some of the regulars will do a thread about it.

In the summer Splash gets really long as does Indy, Space and ST. I am not sure if they have one for Nemo. We have only done this a few times cuz it is in the subs. If you don't have a problem with tight spaces it is cool but I do and once or twice was enough for me. It is basically the same scenes though as the one in Epcot.

I am not sure about FP for the fireworks or Fantasmic. They may have added these but they didn't have them in the past. If you want to see a parade or the fireworks you need to get a spot but they have recently changed it to where you can't sit there for hours which is great. You just have to kind of watch when they start putting up the ropes then you can get a seat. If you do happen to get fantasmic (not sure if it will actually be back by this summer) but if it is then you can usually stay where you are at and see the fireworks. But to get the full experience you need to be on main street to see the projections. Also sometimes tink or dumbo fly through the air. They also have projections on small world.

One thing I recommend is getting fp and doing the big ones EARLY. FP do get used up for things like space and splash. I would do space, star tours, then head over and do splash and indy and possibly thunder mountain. Get FP if there is a line and then do smaller stuff while you are waiting. You can always get more FP for them to use later. You will be glad you didn't wait though cuz after noon sometimes the return times are much later in the evening. Not sure if you are a close the park type person but we aren't. We like to get there early and do as much as possible then leave either after fireworks or if we have seen them sometimes leave earlier.

Same theory applies with DCA. FIRST FP you are going to want to get is Radiator Springs. Then I would get Frozen and then World of Color. Some of those aren't connected. Another one you will want is Soaring. If the new Guardians of the Galaxy is open you will prob want one for that as well. Toy story does not have it so you will have to wait. Also RSR you can do standby early and even single rider. Much quicker. If you like roller coasters Screamin is a must and we also get a fp for that as well. If you can afford it doing a meal and getting WOC seating is a good deal. Also they used to have Fantasmic desert parties. Spendy but well worth it.

It is a whole different animal than dw. Much more on the fly but if you have a good plan you can get a lot done.

The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days: Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Disney California Adventure Park (including access to Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

With Magic Morning, an early admission option, Disneyland Resort Guests (with valid 3+ day ticket) enjoy one early admission (during the duration of theme park ticket or Southern California CityPASS) to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland park for one full hour before the parks ...

This is what I just found hope this helps

Whoosh - havent posted on here in so long. But hun - SUPER excited for this trip. It's gonna be bomb.

And thanks for all the tips on here already. We are feeling a bit hesitant for sure with how different DL will be from DW. Excited too, but definitely feel a bit out of our element. Reservations week of? Insanity.

I saw that you mentioned the WOC dining package, kelmac. Is that worth it? I have seen conflicting reports with some people saying the fastpass gets you better seating than the dining package.

Whoosh - havent posted on here in so long. But hun - SUPER excited for this trip. It's gonna be bomb.

And thanks for all the tips on here already. We are feeling a bit hesitant for sure with how different DL will be from DW. Excited too, but definitely feel a bit out of our element. Reservations week of? Insanity.

I saw that you mentioned the WOC dining package, kelmac. Is that worth it? I have seen conflicting reports with some people saying the fastpass gets you better seating than the dining package.

Honestly it is a crap shoot. If you do the FP you get luck of the draw. I can tell you no matter WHAT section you get you want to get up as close as you can. There is not seating and people have to kind of sit on the ground till it starts then everyone has to stand. So you can imagine if there are tall people or worse the ones that put the kids on their shoulders you will be blocked. I know some think you can see farther back but I have tried both and the best view is right up front. You WILL get wet but you can see everything.

We have done the carthay circle and the Tratoria package. I liked it because you didn't have to line up as early and the dinning area is dead in the middle. All of it is a crap shoot but it is an option. It is DEF a must see though. The fantasmic desert seating used to be amazing. I don't know what to tell you right NOW because again it is all speculation until they reopen it but that one had actual seats and no views blocked. You got a lot of fun deserts and then you at least used to be able to stay and watch the fireworks from your seat. Don't quote me though because a lot of these things that I have done are all out the window with the construction.

The important thing to remember is this is very much a day park for a lot of locals so the key is getting there at rope drop every day if you can and do as much as you can and collect as many fp as you can. Then if you do want to take a break know that when you come back it will be VERY crowded and a lot of fp may be gone or very late BUT if you have taken a break and are the kind that like to stay till closing it does thin out again after the fireworks.

They also have a desert party for WOC that is an option as well.

During July, Disneyland usually opens at 8am for regular park opening. Magic Morning/Extra Magic Hour at DL is only on Tues, Thurs, and Saturday. So going to DL on a Wed with an 8:00 am park opening and no MM/EMH that day, you will NOT be able to get a breakfast reservation at the Plaza Inn for 7:00 am.

I would actually recommend that you NOT waste valuable ride time in those first 2 hours (8:00 - 10:00 am) eating breakfast. Eat something "grab and go" in your hotel room early that morning. Be in line at the park entrance by 7:30 am. Go on rides from 8-10 am. Then have a late breakfast with Minnie & friends at 10:00 am.

FP are not available for fireworks. During the summer, they do have fireworks every night, but fireworks can often be cancelled because of high winds. So just plan on that possibility.

This road trip sounds EPIC! Can't wait to read all about it. I am also a WDW vet going to Disneyland for the first time. No Magic bands or prebooked Fastpasses :scared: WDW certainly has spoiled us :snooty: Happy travels!!!

Yay, a road trip! I love road trips, especially those that lead to Disneyland! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!