Walmart delivering groceries to your freg, uh, not so sure I would be comfortable doing that job too much

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Seen where Walmart will soon start testing where employees will be able to deliver groceries to your home, inside your freg. Don't know how comfortable I would feel with doing this job as a women. It just seems like, at what point will it be when someone gets hurt.:scared:

that would be a definite NO. Nobody is going to deliver something inside my house without an adult there, and no way I would want to do that as the person making the deliveries.

When I had knee surgery and was bedridden for a month, Instacart was a godsend. The best was when they delivered my dog's dog food from Costco. I tipped generously then. Given the fact that I was clearly injured, the delivery people often offered to put my food in the fridge and I gratefully took them up on it. I wouldn't have been comfortable though with doing that if I hadn't been home,

No thank you, you can leave them at the door.
My father in law works for InstaCart.

He says about 20 percent of the people talk his ear off during the delivery, show him pictures of their grand kids etc. It is obvious that he is their only personal contact each week. These people tend to tip big.

About 60 percent have him carry the delivery inside the house but it is a quick check to make sure everything is there and he is on his way. These people tend to be average tippers.

The final 20 percent have him leave it anywhere from the porch to as far away as the end of the driveway. Those obviously don't tip in person and are often the ones that also do not tip in the app.

My metro is one of the one's where Wal-Mart will be doing this at (though I believe it's only on one side of the state line). I'll be interested in hearing how people like it. I'm sure if it does well on the other side of the state line (assuming they are keeping it there for now) it will expand to my side. I actually think my side of the state line would utilize that service more but that's purely personal opinion.

I've personally not been comfortable with the idea of Amazon having access to my home via their device, or access to my vehicle either so I doubt I would be comfortable with Wal-Mart doing it. But I do think there are people who would be for it

One of the interesting things I was reading about was Wal-Mart would be training employees for fridge organization. I know everyone has different ways of doing that though so I'm intrigued how the reception would be for that.

My father in law works for InstaCart.

He says about 20 percent of the people talk his ear off during the delivery, show him pictures of their grand kids etc. It is obvious that he is their only personal contact each week. These people tend to tip big.

About 60 percent have him carry the delivery inside the house but it is a quick check to make sure everything is there and he is on his way. These people tend to be average tippers.

The final 20 percent have him leave it anywhere from the porch to as far away as the end of the driveway. Those obviously don't tip in person and are often the ones that also do not tip in the app.
Fair enough - he's doing the bare minimum basic job and getting paid for it. The first two scenarios are ones that would more realistically merit a tip.

My metro is one of the one's where Wal-Mart will be doing this at (though I believe it's only on one side of the state line). I'll be interested in hearing how people like it. I'm sure if it does well on the other side of the state line (assuming they are keeping it there for now) it will expand to my side. I actually think my side of the state line would utilize that service more but that's purely personal opinion.

I've personally not been comfortable with the idea of Amazon having access to my home via their device, or access to my vehicle either so I doubt I would be comfortable with Wal-Mart doing it. But I do think there are people who would be for it

One of the interesting things I was reading about was Wal-Mart would be training employees for fridge organization. I know everyone has different ways of doing that though so I'm intriqued how the reception would be for that.
For this to work at my house they'd have to be prepared to clean out two weeks' worth of spoiled leftovers and decide what to do with the 1/2 oz. remainders of various beverage containers DS has put back. Come to think of it, having these chores done would be worth the price and any associated security risks. :rotfl2:

No, I wouldn't want such a delivery service.

As for PERFORMING that job, like the threat title suggests, sure. I love seeing the tacky decor in other peoples' homes. ;)

that would be a definite NO. Nobody is going to deliver something inside my house without an adult there, and no way I would want to do that as the person making the deliveries.
Okay, so people uncomfortable with the service wouldn't book it, or (ideally) be forced to provide it? :confused3

I would not let anyone access my house if I wasn't home. Nope. Several years ago, I injured my ankle and used Safeway's grocery delivery service. The driver would bring the groceries in and put them on the kitchen counter. DH or I would put them away. We chose a 2-hour delivery window and just always made sure we were home. My sister orders water, toilet paper and other non-perishables from Google Shopping. They just leave it on the porch.

Schwans has freezer bags. They will leave your food on the back porch and it will stay frozen. But where my wife's step-mother lives in a small Texas town, their Schwans guy has always had a key to their house and put their order in the freezer, and this is going back to at least 1982.

And as a kid (early 1960's) it was always an option to have the milkman let himself in and drop off your order of milk, butter, ice cream and cheese.

It is interesting in this era of Amazon deliver, Uber eats that folks may never ever have to leave their homes again! We've had "Meals on Wheels" non-profit food delivery for shut-ins here for decades for shut-ins, but I am a mobile healthy person, just seems odd to have Taco Bell delivered!

Schwans has freezer bags. They will leave your food on the back porch and it will stay frozen. But where my wife's step-mother lives in a small Texas town, their Schwans guy has always had a key to their house and put their order in the freezer, and this is going back to at least 1982.

And as a kid (early 1960's) it was always an option to have the milkman let himself in and drop off your order of milk, butter, ice cream and cheese.

It is interesting in this era of Amazon deliver, Uber eats that folks may never ever have to leave their homes again! We've had "Meals on Wheels" non-profit food delivery for shut-ins here for decades for shut-ins, but I am a mobile healthy person, just seems odd to have Taco Bell delivered!
I miss schwans, but I would let them put them in the fridge in the garage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!