Walt Disney World Date Based Ticket System FAQ • Read First Page

I
The “Flex” option is variable-priced. Essentially, lower-priced tickets will cost more for it while higher-priced times won’t be as much to add it. I spot-checked a few dates and found a range of $8.50 to $71.92 to add Flex to a 5-day ticket.

Wow! That is VERY interesting!

Is anyone else having the site redirect to the Ireland site? I live in Florida

But it should be. It should be nothing more than a cut and paste of the text from to the other, so they are consistent no matter what system you use. Instead, more than likely, one person wrote the site for Firefox and someone else wrote it for Safari. I'm sure overall it's a mess of a job but text used on the website should be the easiest part of all
I'm pretty sure it's more than a cut and paste.

It's likely that the source code calculates the the start and end date/time based on the users selected start date and the number of days purchased. If it's generically coded it may show up as different dates/times based on the browsers default formats.

Mike

well, I think it is more just so Disney can get more $ during peak times ... but I do wonder if there is some side effect of just the mentality that Disney is doing this to push people to slower periods, and crowds are one of the biggest complaints so maybe people use this to target when slow periods are and there could be some movement .... but more from a mentality standpoint and not concrete $ savings
It’s peanuts compared to the overall cost of a Disney world vacation. I don’t think saving a few dollars is going to be enough incentive for a parent to pull their kid out of school to go in an off week. If saving hundreds on the resort didn’t saving 10 dollars off a ticket isn’t going to. It seems so unnecessary and stupid. I feel bad for the CM’s that have to try to figure this out.

This isn’t necessarily about just making more money, it’s also about being more efficient in order to increase profitability. By knowing with a large degree of certainty how many people the parks can expect on a given day (APs and spontaneous people aside), Disney can optimize staffing, determine what food places should be open/closed, and more factors that I’m sure I’m not aware of.

My renewal date is Dec 18th so my 60 day early renewal is in 2 days..So it makes it hard to decide which AP to renew or buy with no black out dates after September 2019. Originally I thought I would just renew my AP and would be good to go sometime after SWGE opens in the fall. but NO..they want to maximize their revenue :rolleyes:
Soooo... why would anyone buy or renew an AP now when we all know that they will be blocking out DHS for SWGE starting in October?
I'm just guessing that only the top AP's will not be blocked out..if any.
This is probably one reason for the date specific tickets..which will be a good way for them to control AP's and sell more full price tickets going forward..mainly for DHS, but then for Epcot and MK when their new rides open.
When they announce the opening date for SWGE ... that day and for awhile after that will sell out for sure.
For some the stress of FP's and ADR's will now include days for DHS :scared:
Disney doesn’t sell out of tickets for any day. SWGE will have the park reach capacity for sure but not “sold out”. They will sell as many tickets as possible because once park is at capacity they can send them to other parks as each ticket is good at any park.

This isn’t necessarily about just making more money, it’s also about being more efficient in order to increase profitability. By knowing with a large degree of certainty how many people the parks can expect on a given day (APs and spontaneous people aside), Disney can optimize staffing, determine what food places should be open/closed, and more factors that I’m sure I’m not aware of.
Bingo

I can confirm the system allowed this change. I've already posted where I made this exact change today (adding ground trans) and it did not change pricing for the tickets or anything else.
Did you do that through MDE, @AngiTN? I thought you had added days to the ticket, too, but I can't find that post.

I've been following this question with some interest, and was told the same by a CM a few days ago, i.e. that changes to old tickets would not result in the ticket being re-ticketed at the new price levels.

If someone could figure out what the answer is I'd appreciate it.

Disney doesn’t sell out of tickets for any day. SWGE will have the park reach capacity for sure but not “sold out”. They will sell as many tickets as possible because once park is at capacity they can send them to other parks as each ticket is good at any park.
I guess I misunderstood, I thought they were selling park specific tickets at different prices..
My point was that if they were to block out AP's during that time then there would be more room for ticket buyers.

No, not in my experience. Could it be in your spam folder? Are you having any trouble getting your email?
I would call them in the morning if it has not come yet. They were great on the phone, when I called them. Did you get any confirmation email?
Did your credit card charge go through?

I got the confirmation email from them right after I purchased. It still says my order is "processing" when I log into my UCT account. The credit card charge did go through as well as a $2.93 authorization charge. I found online where it says it could take 24 hours, but looks like I'll be calling tomorrow morning :headache:

The “Flex” option is variable-priced. Essentially, lower-priced tickets will cost more for it while higher-priced times won’t be as much to add it. I spot-checked a few dates and found a range of $8.50 to $71.92 to add Flex to a 5-day ticket.
The Flex "option" is variable-priced, but the Flex "ticket" is not variably priced. If you look closely, the Flex option fee just changes by whatever dates you chose, to bring the final total up to the same amount. These constant prices are also typical integer amounts (for instance, 4 Day Base Flex ticket lands at $445.00 before tax, regardless of what dates you initially choose on the calendar).

Essentially, a Flex ticket is a direct replacement for the current MYW ticket, but it doesn't come across that way because the Flex is added in on the back-end of the process. In a lot of ways, I think it would have been infinitely easier to show the Flex ticket up front as first option. For some people, this would also give them the "illusion" that they are saving money by then opting to chooe specific dates instead. For others (including yours truly), it would have the negative effect of showing much more clearly how much the prices really went up today for "yesterdays" product.

I guess I misunderstood, I thought they were selling park specific tickets at different prices..
My point was that if they were to block out AP's during that time then there would be more room for ticket buyers.
Yeah interestingly enough they got rid of the MK only tickets and now all parks are the same.

Did you do that through MDE, @AngiTN? I thought you had added days to the ticket, too, but I can't find that post.

I've been following this question with some interest, and was told the same by a CM a few days ago, i.e. that changes to old tickets would not result in the ticket being re-ticketed at the new price levels.

I believe the info posted upthread by @tinka-belle and also included by @rteetz in the FAQs on the first page of this thread is how CMs and TAs were very recently trained regarding the new structure. I do not think the system would continue the “old” pricing structure for changes made to older tickets. It’s also consistent with historical practice that any changes to “older” tickets requires bringing them to current pricing. Sorry you received incorrect info from a phone CM; unfortunately that happens more than it should.

Yeah interestingly enough they got rid of the MK only tickets and now all parks are the same.
I guess that will ease the pain for those not able to get in DHS when SWGE opens...there might have to be a rope drop to get into the rope drop for that day....

I believe the info posted upthread by @tinka-belle and also included by @rteetz in the FAQs on the first page of this thread is how CMs and TAs were very recently trained regarding the new structure. I do not think the system would continue the “old” pricing structure for changes made to older tickets. It’s also consistent with historical practice that any changes to “older” tickets requires bringing them to current pricing. Sorry you received incorrect info from a phone CM; unfortunately that happens more than it should.
My comment primarily referred to @AngiTN 's post regarding having actually made changes to an old ticket today, and they went through just fine without increasing the price of the old ticket. So perhaps @tinka-belle got the wrong info. At any rate, there appears to be a conflict here.

Whatever the CM told me is largely irrelevant at this point, except to highlight the fact that I'm interested in the answer to this question.

Last edited:

Yes through MDE but no, no changes to the ticket

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter