Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

What a great thread! We are booking our first trip to Disneyworld through Costco Travel. We have chose the dolphin since we are a family of 5 with 3 kids, (17,13,6). I called the dolphin direct to price check it and the hotel was $3k for 8 nights. We are getting 8 nights plus tickets for 7 days through Costco for $3700. Which leads my husband to ask “why? What’s going on at that hotel lol”. Is the dolphin a good hotel for our family for our first trip to WDW (we are Disneyland veterans and I used to work there). We are going in mid-June for my sons graduation trip, a little worried about the heat and the crowds. Thanks again for sharing all your tips and experiences. I appreciate it!

The Dolphin is a great choice for your family! It's an easy walk to 2 of the parks (Epcot & DHS) and a central location to the other parks and Disney Springs (via bus, car, or uber!)

The Dolphin just recently completed a total refurbishment. I love the rooms and really, really love what they've done with the lobby! The pool is one of the best at WDW (probably 2nd only to BC/YC's Stormalong Bay)! I have almost 30 stays in recent years at Swan & Dolphin and, besides "location", the Cast Members are some of the best anywhere!

Mid-June is a great time to visit! Yes, it will be busy there but still a great time to visit! The weather should be good; and even if it's hot by then, you will quickly learn places to go near your resort and in the parks to beat-the-heat! :thumbsup2

The only disadvantages are no Magical Express, no Dining Plan, and no charging to your room at the parks (the location totally negates any disadvantages!) ;)

Both Swan and Dolphin have some wonderful restaurants and lounges.

What a great thread! We are booking our first trip to Disneyworld through Costco Travel. We have chose the dolphin since we are a family of 5 with 3 kids, (17,13,6). I called the dolphin direct to price check it and the hotel was $3k for 8 nights. We are getting 8 nights plus tickets for 7 days through Costco for $3700. Which leads my husband to ask “why? What’s going on at that hotel lol”. Is the dolphin a good hotel for our family for our first trip to WDW (we are Disneyland veterans and I used to work there). We are going in mid-June for my sons graduation trip, a little worried about the heat and the crowds. Thanks again for sharing all your tips and experiences. I appreciate it!

With every place there are positives and negatives. You've chosen a place in a great location, with lots of great food options at your hotel, and even more nearby. The boat and walking distance are super convenient, and somewhat negate the "less the Disney feel" . Just walk over the bridge to the boardwalk when you need your fix! I believe in focusing on the positives of anywhere you are. One positive I noticed was bussing to Disney Springs was pretty quick and easy, and not every place can say that! At the time I went, the bus was gotten at the Swan, I believe because of the refurbishment, and it was easy.

That being said, one thing I was unaware of when I went, which seems to bother nobody but me, but I thought Id mention it just in case, is that there are no stairs available on most of the floors, so you always have to ride the elevator. I don't like that feeling of not being able to just go in and out with stairs, and they had put us on the 2nd floor, which needed elevator only. However, Floors 3 & 4 are the only floors where you have the option of going up and down yourself, so when I told the desk, they promptly and easily switched me to Floor 3 in the exact same view I had (the boat launch). For me it was perfect and extremely convenient as it is the same floor as the lobby, and we were close to the escalators. Again, most people don't care, but I wish I had known sooner, I would've requested it ahead of time.

What a great thread! We are booking our first trip to Disneyworld through Costco Travel. We have chose the dolphin since we are a family of 5 with 3 kids, (17,13,6).

I too recently booked a family trip through Costco Travel after reading some tips on this board! It really saved us a lot of money too plus two of our nights were sold out on the S/D website but not through Costco. I have stayed twice before at Dolphin and really liked it. Perhaps it feels a bit "less Mickey" than BC or BWI but we would never pay those prices again. The Dolphin is a great resort, great location, pool, restaurants etc.... Our last trip 4 years ago was for my DD's college graduation, be sure you note that on some of your dining ADR's. I remember her getting a lovely congratulations dessert at Via Napoli.

There is a special dining benefit included in the Costco package for Swan/Dolphin:

Just an fyi:
The not so "fine print" on that one is that it's for two places: Fresh Med, and Garden Grove.
Fresh Med doesn't have a dinner service, so, free dinner is Garden Grove. It's not like this is hidden info or misleading in any way.

We've never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin before, but we have reservations for August 2018. I'm wondering about the transportation to/from the airport that others have used. I've got two kids, one of whom definitely requires a booster seat if in an ordinary car. On Magical Express, the kids are ok without the boosters, but I'm trying to figure out if the Mears transportation is typically a bus or a van and if we'd need to bring booster seats with us. I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

SOmetimes
We've never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin before, but we have reservations for August 2018. I'm wondering about the transportation to/from the airport that others have used. I've got two kids, one of whom definitely requires a booster seat if in an ordinary car. On Magical Express, the kids are ok without the boosters, but I'm trying to figure out if the Mears transportation is typically a bus or a van and if we'd need to bring booster seats with us. I hope that makes sense. Thanks!
Most times, Mears uses a van; once in awhile, it's a small bus, like what the rental car companies use at airports.

I'm wondering about the transportation to/from the airport that others have used.
In previous trips we used Tiffany Town Car, this year without the kids going we're using Lyft, both Lyft & Uber do have options for car seats.

Don't think you'd have to bring boosters for Mears. I'd assume "booster needed" would just be a standard option on the form you fill out to request the shuttle service. It almost seems mandatory that any transport service in Orlando would have car seats or boosters at the ready. You know, because, Disneyworld. Uber and Lyft both have car seats if needed.

We used a standard car service, fancy, big, suv. Standard grocery stop. Cost about 80 bucks before tip. When we return, we'll use Uber or Lyft instead. If I was you, I'd price each option out - should be able to do so on line with ease. Most options for standard cabs and car services (mears included) - I'd expect 80 to 100 dollars. Uber/Lyft, probably less, but you should be able to price it all out online pretty easily.

We used Uber for our trip back to MCO, and also for several rides inside the bubble. I would recommend Uber/Lyft pretty confidently. Quick, easy, clean, and a good value.

Yes to provide white noise
I called the Swan and they said, yes they do. Said to call Guest Services when you arrive, or I suppose you can tell them at check in.

I do know also that there are all kinds of white noise apps for both Android and Apple phones.

I called the Swan and they said, yes they do. Said to call Guest Services when you arrive, or I suppose you can tell them at check in.

I do know also that there are all kinds of white noise apps for both Android and Apple phones.
Wonderful! Thank you for calling!!!

Just an fyi:
The not so "fine print" on that one is that it's for two places: Fresh Med, and Garden Grove.
Fresh Med doesn't have a dinner service, so, free dinner is Garden Grove. It's not like this is hidden info or misleading in any way.

I recommend Garden Grove’s seafood buffet on Friday or Saturday night. You can easily make a same day reservation from your room phone. No ADR nonsense. Characters are Pluto, Goofy and Chip & Dale. Lots of fun for the kids, and the food is pretty good.

Wow Dan talk about service, you rock!
:laughing: Easy to call and get from the 'horse's" mouth.

Wonderful! Thank you for calling!!!
Being that I am sure that there is a limited number of fans available (not like extra coffee or water bottles), I would call before you leave home, or the latest from the airport (if arriving there), to let them know you want one put aside for you, if they could. You could also mention it in the Concierge section of the S/D website now.

https://www.swandolphin.com/concierge/index.html

I recommend Garden Grove’s seafood buffet on Friday or Saturday night. You can easily make a same day reservation from your room phone. No ADR nonsense. Characters are Pluto, Goofy and Chip & Dale. Lots of fun for the kids, and the food is pretty good.

Agreeing here with Janice. :wave:

Here is my son (left edge), his wife and 2 of our grandsons 5 years ago at The Garden Grove with Goofy. Always good meals, with or without the characters.

20121210_195524%201_zpsi0cestdz.jpg

Hello. This is my first question, so if I'm not putting it in the right place please let me know. Has anyone stayed in a grand suite at the Swan (one bedroom with parlor) and also stayed in a one bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower? If so, could you tell me which one you prefer for two adults with children? We plan to spend 3 days at MK, and one at each of the other parks. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter