Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Hi. Planning on booking the dolphin for the week after Easter. Never stayed there before. Some questions:

Any suggestions for room locations to request? We have a 10 year old and 6 year old.

This will be our first time not renting a car. How is the bus service?

Any recommendations on the best way to get to dolphin from airport?

Can't answer to location since I'm not picky and just take what they give me.
The bus service is the same as the bus service everywhere, the buses are the buses are the buses. They do pick up at Swan first so it can get a bit crowded at certain times of the day.
Can't answer how to get there from the airport since we drive down.

Quick questions about staying at the Dolphin and FP+ reservations. Is the 60 day window based on our first park day or the day we check into the hotel? And do I have to book each park day on its respective 60 days out, or can I book all my park days FP+ based on the reservation 60 day out (and therefor book some 60+ days out)? Thanks!

Quick questions about staying at the Dolphin and FP+ reservations. Is the 60 day window based on our first park day or the day we check into the hotel? And do I have to book each park day on its respective 60 days out, or can I book all my park days FP+ based on the reservation 60 day out (and therefor book some 60+ days out)? Thanks!

It's 60 before your check-in date, and you can book all FP+ for your entire stay (up to 10 days) at that time.

Hi. Planning on booking the dolphin for the week after Easter. Never stayed there before. Some questions:

Any suggestions for room locations to request? We have a 10 year old and 6 year old.

We are planning on renting a car at MCO, stopping at Publix to get some groceries (water, soda, pastries for the morning, sunblock etc) and returning the car at the Dolphin. There are 5 of us (if I can arrange our flights how I want) so the rental comes out cheaper than any shuttle, and better than Uber since we want to stop at Publix. Alamo and National have rental desks at Dolphin.
From MCO to the Dolphin an Uber is $34 according to RideGuru, an SUV is $47.

During the early summer how crowded does the pool at S/D get? Last early June we were at YC/BC and the pool was a zoo (even early in the day)

The pool is a complex of different pools.
The grotto pool is actually 3 pools connected by very small swim thru tunnels, with the actual grotto waterfall in the middle.
Sneaky spot: under and behind the waterfall is a nice, shady seating area with bathrooms, and a water fountain, lounge chairs. You can enter the pool behind the waterfall. There is a small, secluded area of the pool behind the waterfall. (This is where you'll always find me.)
The swan has a warm rectangular pool, that always seems pretty quiet ( but that's because it's across from the whole "pool complex" area.) The Dolphin has a very similar rectangular pool, but I think the deep end is deeper.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the pools being a zoo. The tendency to think of these hotels as "Convention" hotels, and "Not real Disney" hotels seems to shy a lot of people away that are looking for the Disney feels.

Last edited:

Your room request will depend on what is important to you. In my situation, we are POOL PEOPLE, first and foremost. In our case, the most convenient rooms are the bank of rooms down the hallway from the Dolphin fitness room. They run along the little pond next to the Dolphin's lap pool. First floor with a patio and sliding doors. We can walk out of the sliding doors and onto the walking path to the pools. These rooms are also close to the kind of secluded walking path up to the bus. They are also just down the hallway from Picabu (which also has an escalator right up to the busses.)

The bus service is the same Disney bus service that runs to the parks, and resorts. For busy bus times, like early am, take into account, that it stops at Swan first. If you are trying to make EMH at AK, for example, and you see that the bus queue is crowded, always keep in mind that Uber will be there in about 3 minutes after you order it, and will cost about 10 bucks to be dropped off pretty close to the tapstyles...just sayin. Nothing like waiting for a bus and not being able to fit. That can happen at ANY resort, by the way. Plus, if the bus is tight...I work too hard to be crammed into a bus on my vacation. I'll pay the ten bucks for an uber. It's not like we don't know Wallyworld is gonna be expensive.

My best way to get to Dolphin is rideshare, but if I found a deal on one way rental, I'd grab it, and return it at Dolphin. You might be surprised, and find a rental that won't cost much more than a rideshare. Just remember to check the rentals that the Dolphin will allow you to return. A rental would make it a little easier to make stops on your way to the resort, although rideshares or car services will allow you to make stops as well. They all know the deal - ppl want to stop to pick up odds and ends, and groceries. Wallyworld has been around for a long time - the car services all know about making stops. They are used to it.

If you are trying to make EMH at AK, for example, and you see that the bus queue is crowded, always keep in mind that Uber will be there in about 3 minutes after you order it, and will cost about 10 bucks to be dropped off pretty close to the tapstyles..
Just making clear that that (highlighted) would apply to AK only, not MK. Ride share drop off for MK is either TTC with boat or monorail over or the Contemporary with a short walk over. Minnie Van can drop off close to the MK entrance.

While I'm mostly likely not going to be able to return for a 5th Jersey Week trip (so sad)...I'm still dreaming (daughter is dancing in wdw in december so going then). But my would be dates are showing at 60,000/points per night. That's crazy! Do you think it's b/c it's so far in the future? 11/4 - 11/9.

@JJ2017 I don't think its that, at least not completely, I think that is peak season and IMHO its how Marriott devalued the points overall. Here is a good article from ThePointsGuy. I don't know which Orlando hotels they looked at but I'd bet that S/D were one of them, they said the peak time for "Orlando: beginning in May with the greatest concentration in August and September (2020)"

I do see part of your stay drops to 50k at the Dolphin. Still not as good of a points valuation was it was under SPG.

@JJ2017 I don't think its that, at least not completely, I think that is peak season and IMHO its how Marriott devalued the points overall. Here is a good article from ThePointsGuy. I don't know which Orlando hotels they looked at but I'd bet that S/D were one of them, they said the peak time for "Orlando: beginning in May with the greatest concentration in August and September (2020)"

I do see part of your stay drops to 50k at the Dolphin. Still not as good of a points valuation was it was under SPG.
the 50,000/night was already killing me. i can't see the dates yet that i am going in december, but really hope it's not as high. don't want to give up on the dolphin, and of course if cash is the better deal, we will do that, but ouch.

@JJ2017 I hear you. Our plan for our Feb 2020 trip was to go to S/D again, but dang prices and points were just to high, thus we're on our way to POFQ instead. At least from following some Bonvoy groups I get the strong impression that Marriott has lost a lot of loyal followers of SPG. Sadly neither the Hilton or Hyatt have resorts like S/D on site ☹

We needed one night before our POFQ stay, and I just couldn't see dropping the 50k in points or the money, plus parking & resort fee. Our TA got us a killer deal at SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing.

I really hope that Marriott reverses course. Their financials had a poor performance so maybe somebody will wise up, but probably no for awhile.

@JJ2017 I hear you. Our plan for our Feb 2020 trip was to go to S/D again, but dang prices and points were just to high, thus we're on our way to POFQ instead. At least from following some Bonvoy groups I get the strong impression that Marriott has lost a lot of loyal followers of SPG. Sadly neither the Hilton or Hyatt have resorts like S/D on site ☹

We needed one night before our POFQ stay, and I just couldn't see dropping the 50k in points or the money, plus parking & resort fee. Our TA got us a killer deal at SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing.

I really hope that Marriott reverses course. Their financials had a poor performance so maybe somebody will wise up, but probably no for awhile.
Also realized these dates are coinciding with Wine and Dine Races - it's a bit later this year and falling at the ending weekend we are usually there. Anyway.......

Maybe you know the answer to this since you are on the Bonvoy boards....

IGNORE - POINTS POSTED TODAY!!!!! On our last stay at Dolphin, we paid an upgrade fee to turn a standard booked room on points into a suite. Total was about $1,250 for our total stay. However, we have not been awarded points. Due to my husbands Marriott status, this should translate into a nice amount of points I believe. Last year we paid a similar amount and got around 11,000 points (not sure why - he knows about this stuff a lot more than I do). What's your take??

Last edited:
On our last stay at Dolphin, we paid an upgrade fee to turn a standard booked room on points into a suite. Total was about $1,250 for our total stay. However, we have not been awarded points. Due to my husbands Marriott status, this should translate into a nice amount of points I believe. Last year we paid a similar amount and got around 11,000 points (not sure why - he knows about this stuff a lot more than I do). What's your take??
That's a bit beyond me, I'll keep for that though. I would have your husband call into the Boyvoy number with your last stay info, ideally have the statement from the Dolphin. If that doesn't work I'd call the S/D and talk with In House reservations as they seem to be more knowledgeable.

What is this magic that you speak of? Bonvoy boards?
There are a couple good sites, ThePointsGuy is good for general hotel/airline info, did a great job on the coverage of the Marttiott take over of SPG and the problems that came of it. I find the replies to the articles very helpful. Another group is on Facebook called, MARRIOTT BONVOY Elite Member (Gold, Platinum, Titanium, Ambassador, Cobalt) that is fairly helpful. But it's mostly focused around the Platinum & Titanium guests.

Thanks so much. I'm late to the S/D party! Staying in a Junior Alcove suite "connector" using Bonvoy from an upgrade and purchased the CL FP's. Staying from 1/1-1/5 so I will report back if anyone has any questions about CL FP's or how to get an upgrade using Bonvoy.

I would love to find out more info on how to upgrade using Bonvoy. :) May i PM you?

Anyone stayed at Swan/Dolphin and gone to HS for RoTR yet? Curious on how early boats are running?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!