Walt's Apartment - A rare opportunity for a private tour - lots of pics

CMHusband

Monorail Madness
Today I had the rare opportunity to have a private tour of Walt's Apt. what I consider to be the the Holy Grail of historical Disney experiences. When they were building the park, as everyone knows it was nothing but orange groves. There were no hotels and this was one of the first buildings built. Walt actually stayed here a lot while they were building the park and many times after it was finished. He worked with many including Marty Sklar in the offices above City Hall. I also find it interesting that those offices are still used today as general offices for the Main Entrance managers.
This tour was awe inspiring, like seeing the original moon rocks at the Smithsonian, this has the same feel - an aura to just be occupying the exact same space that Walt Disney did. I hope you enjoy some of my pictures.
More pics here if you're interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/

Here I go Backstage...

5144815842_6ba8171a93_z.jpg

Ring the doorbell (its like the bell on a bike)

5144808834_d67fbfb7c1_z.jpg

Welcome, come on in!

5144203807_5a95030499_z.jpg

The inner sanctum. Walt's apartment.

5144205497_202154b2b7_z.jpg

The couches turn into beds. there isn't a bedroom, just a bathroom.

5144810044_4e31dddfb3_z.jpg

The window and lamp directly above the firehouse. the lamp is always on unless there are guests staying at the apt.

5144209003_83549837bf_z.jpg

The famous lamp that is always on.

5144810618_cc403332b7_z.jpg

The view out the window of Town Square.

5144204995_0bbf07f77e_z.jpg

Relaxing in Walt's chair

5144205769_46d8797347_z.jpg

We made ourselves at home on Walt's "Bed"

5144811422_92442ff1f9_z.jpg

Uh...yeah, Walt's potty and shower

5144206555_4eab19034e_z.jpg

The pantry

5144809536_d305eb581b_z.jpg

Walt loved Grilled cheese sandwiches and so do I!

5144209811_9432bcd73e_z.jpg

Chillin at Walt's

5144814990_df233c7b51_z.jpg

The gramaphone

5144208749_8e507edbcf_z.jpg

Lets go out onto the patio!

5144208211_3eeda331d0_z.jpg

Outside, basically on the roof over the restrooms at City Hall

5144813356_36eacbb915_z.jpg

The apartment from the outside

5144818230_706ebb57ca_z.jpg

Walt on the steps of the train station overlooking the park

5144212351_01747e2740_z.jpg

Me on the steps of the train station overlooking the park. Bad attempt, wrong lighting, oh well

5144212631_4618549174_z.jpg

How exciting! What a once in a lifetime opportunity! Thank you for sharing. Those are some great pictures. :thumbsup2 How long did you get to spend in the apartment?

Wow! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing your tour. Are the furniture, dishes, etc. original -- as in actually Walt's -- or are they just period pieces they put in after he was gone? It was fun seeing the light. Did the guide mention who stays there? If I'm ever there and the light is off, who can I expect might be staying there? :) I really liked those last 2 pictures. Very clever! Thanks again.

Thank you for sharing your "behind the scenes" experience with us. I love this kind of stuff. :cool1: Never knew that anyone stayed in Walt's apartment.

Do you mind if I ask how you were able to take this tour? And who are "Tom & Jerry" from the pitcher and cups picture?

We won the tour along with lunch at the Disney Culinary Institute at a silent auction. We were able to spend about 45 minutes in the apt. Most of the furniture and kitchen utensils are original. The lamp in the window isn't original and I believe they said the two chairs by the window are not original.
Apparently they have a warehouse full of vintage Victorian era carpet and fabric so they can change things out and keep it nice. its used rarely by family, I know occasionally they will hold meetings up there and they occasionally us it as a green room for celeb's if they are hosting an event at the park. The day the park opened, the mouseketears hung out up there until it was time to for them to appear. Oh, and I can't remember the story behind the Tom & Jerry set. I think it was a type of drink in that era?
Now, If I could get a night in the Dream Suite. I'll be complete.

:thumbsup2 Thats sooo cool that you were able to go in the apt! I was looking at the picture with Walt then scrolling down to your picture I was trying to take notice how things have changed (or not changed) I am amazed at how big the trees have gotten :) The one behind and to the left of you is huge! :laughing:
I have never been to Disneyland but I am looking forward to getting there someday.

Awesome opportunity!!! Thank you for taking pictures & sharing them here!!! You see an occassional "stock" photo, but seeing your pictures just brought it all together!! Hopefully you'll get a chance to see the Dream Suite & then you'll be able to share that with us as well!! :cool1:

Tom & Jerry's are a drink that older people enjoyed around the holidays.....I still remember my parents having Tom & Jerry parties when I was a kid.......don't remember what's in them but I have a clear memory of them stinking!! :lmao:

Recipe from Epicurious for Tom and Jerry...(I've never had one, but it's supposed to be like eggnog).

* 2 large eggs, separated
* 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon Jamaican rum
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* Small pinch ground allspice
* Small pinch ground cloves
* Large pinch ground cinnamon
* 2 2/3 cups whole milk
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg or ground nutmeg

Preparation

In small mixing bowl, whisk yolks briefly. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon rum, vanilla extract, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon, and whisk again. Set aside. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff and glossy. Fold whites into yolk mixture, and set aside.

In medium saucepan over low heat, bring milk to simmer and remove from heat. While milk is warming, briefly stir egg batter, then add 1 1/2 tablespoons to mug. Slowly add 4 tablespoons of remaining rum, stirring constantly to prevent curdling. Fill mug with hot milk, stir, sprinkle with nutmeg, and serve.

Loved your pics!! We got to do the same thing last year & take videos, but they asked us not to post the videos online, so we haven't (at least, I haven't).

I especially liked the picture of you copying Walt's pose. Very nice. :)

Oh wow. Thank you so much. This is awesome. I LOVE the view of Main Street from the apartment. Definitely something that not everyone can see. So cool.

Great stuff. I really like the mimiced pose on the train station stairs. I always find it amazing how much the trees have grown over 50plus years.

It's interesting too that the front door is back stage, but i guess that's why the Disney Suite is entered from onstage. One was for employee #1 the other for guests of the Disney's.

We won the tour along with lunch at the Disney Culinary Institute at a silent auction. We were able to spend about 45 minutes in the apt. Most of the furniture and kitchen utensils are original. The lamp in the window isn't original and I believe they said the two chairs by the window are not original.
Apparently they have a warehouse full of vintage Victorian era carpet and fabric so they can change things out and keep it nice. its used rarely by family, I know occasionally they will hold meetings up there and they occasionally us it as a green room for celeb's if they are hosting an event at the park. The day the park opened, the mouseketears hung out up there until it was time to for them to appear. Oh, and I can't remember the story behind the Tom & Jerry set. I think it was a type of drink in that era?
Now, If I could get a night in the Dream Suite. I'll be complete.

What a wonderful thing to win at a silent auction. And it's great that they are keeping Walt's apartment nice. I hope that your wish of staying in the Dream Suite comes true.

Awesome opportunity!!! Thank you for taking pictures & sharing them here!!! You see an occassional "stock" photo, but seeing your pictures just brought it all together!! Hopefully you'll get a chance to see the Dream Suite & then you'll be able to share that with us as well!! :cool1:

Tom & Jerry's are a drink that older people enjoyed around the holidays.....I still remember my parents having Tom & Jerry parties when I was a kid.......don't remember what's in them but I have a clear memory of them stinking!! :lmao:

Thanks for the info on the Tom & Jerry drink. I had never heard of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter