Wanna buy a Fastpass? It will cost ya $50

I can easily see guests at the new Star Wars hotel (Club Level or not) being offered more FPs at DHS (or whatever the name of the park is by then) so that they can load up on SW rides. People who pay $700 to stay in a Star Wars hotel are going to be easy pickings for added revenue for Star Wars-related stuff.
Absolutely. Business malpractice not to try to harness some of that.

They appear to have blocks for FP — 60day, 30day, sameday. This would add a 90day block.
If the suggestion is that there are compartmentalized FPs and that there are a set number of 60 day FPs, and when those are gone, new ones for that same attraction become available 30 days out, and when those run out, new ones become available same day, I don't think this is the case. My understanding is that there are "X" thousand FPs available for each day, and when they are gone they are gone. They can all be distributed to the 60 day folks with the 30 day folks getting none. Under the new approach, some percentage of "X" will go to the 90 day people meaning that the 60 day people will have fewer, and the 30 day people fewer still. Again, what I don't know is whether the percentage of "X" that will be gobbled up by the 90 day people occupying 900+ rooms is material.

I'm kind of (pleasantly) surprised they didn't do this years ago. Places like Six Flags don't offer ANY free FP+ to any guests. You want it, you're paying for it. They call it FlashPass, and it's ridiculously expensive. The fact that WDW still does it for free is fantastic. From another thread here, I know a lot of people feel that WDW is only out for money. I think this shows that's not completely true. They could charge for FP+ for all guests, and could have for years and years. Yet, they don't and even this sounds like a premium option, not a must buy.

FastPass has always been about the money, even though they didn’t charge for them.

Less time in lines theoretically means more time to spend money in stores, at restaurants, on activities not included in park admission, more time spent at your resort (thus making it easier to justify booking somewhere more than just a bare bones room), etc. Less time waiting also means happier guests who don’t go home and tell everyone they spent their entire trip in line after line after line.

Sure it wasn’t monetized directly, but they weren’t doing us a favour with it.

The lounges are quite a bit larger than a hotel room and offer much more than chips and soda. There are extra staffing requirements that need to be considered, at a time when Disney is trying to reduce staffing.

I hear you. My point was, where there's a will, there's a way :)

If the suggestion is that there are compartmentalized FPs and that there are a set number of 60 day FPs, and when those are gone, new ones for that same attraction become available 30 days out, and when those run out, new ones become available same day, I don't think this is the case. My understanding is that there are "X" thousand FPs available for each day, and when they are gone they are gone. They can all be distributed to the 60 day folks with the 30 day folks getting none. Under the new approach, some percentage of "X" will go to the 90 day people meaning that the 60 day people will have fewer, and the 30 day people fewer still. Again, what I don't know is whether the percentage of "X" that will be gobbled up by the 90 day people occupying 900+ rooms is material.
Pretty sure there was evidence in the past that some FP are held aside, though I really haven’t paid attention to those conversations in a LONG time. Might not be right.

I do recall recent threads talking about SAMEDAY FoP FP being released at prescribed times. Not sure where that stands now. They certainly have the ABILITY to titrate FPs that they can use if needed.

I’d still be VERY surprised if this small 90-day sample would take up all/most of the FPS for a FoP, for instance.
—————
ETA: NOPE ON BLOCKS or setting FPs aside SYSTEMATICALLY, but yes, they most likely have that capability in the system. Just as they recently were releasing sameday FoP FPs At seemingly set times each day (ended now, apparently).

Last edited:
I think a more egalitarian way to do this would be something like...
  • You can book your FastPasses for any two days connected to a paid, not just reserved, Disney Resort Room Night (no campsites) as far out as the hotel can be booked. If you cancel, you lose the FastPasses.
  • Value and Good Neighbor guests get 3 FPs.
  • Moderate guests get 4 FPs.
  • Deluxe guests get 4 FPs and exempted from tiers.
  • One Resort Advance FP per Attraction per stay. Repeat FP's available during the 60-day window. One Park rules still apply.
  • Unpaid room nights still get the 60 day window.
Meaning, I if I book and pay for August 15, 2018 right now at the Contemporary, I can FastPass FoP and NRJ on 8/15 and FEA and Sorin' on 8/16, plus whatever others but can't repeat FoP FP during the same stay.

Last edited:

I think a more egalitarian way to do this would be something like...
  • You can book your FastPasses for any two days connected to a paid, not just reserved, Disney Resort Room Night (no campsites) as far out as the hotel can be booked. If you cancel, you lose the FastPasses.
  • Value and Good Neighbor guests get 3 FPs.
  • Moderate guests get 4 FPs.
  • Deluxe guests get 4 FPs and exempted from tiers.
  • One FP per Attraction per stay.
Meaning, I if I book and pay for August 15, 2018 right now at the Contemporary, I can FastPass FoP and NRJ on 8/15 and FEA and Sorin' on 8/16, plus whatever others but can't repeat FoP FP during the same stay.
“One FP per Attraction per stay.” —> For that reason, I’m out. ;)

I’m unclear on how this is all “egalitarian”. Or why “egalitarian” should be a business imperative. But it’s been a long day... maybe I just don’t get it. And this is a first post, so perhaps I’m just biting where I shouldn’t... :)

Are Animal Kingdom Villas Kilimanjaro Club Level @ Jambo House included,
or only the AKL NON-DVC Club Level rooms?!
This does affect us!

While I agree with most of this and don't have concrete numbers to support anything I do know for the most part Disney has done a pretty good job spreading everything out to allow everyone to have a chance.

Take for example when be our guest restaurant came out it was impossible to get an ADR no matter how hard i tried.... When I got into the park first thing in the morning I walked all the way back there and was able to make a dinner reservation for the time of my choosing. While speaking with the CM they stated that there has to be walk up reservations available as not all guests stay on site and a lot of people from florida with ap's came for just dinner, etc

my assumption is rides are done the same way and while it may be very limited I think enough thought is put in give everyone a chance. This is also why Disney allows people to book on their 60 day window but for their whole vacation however long it extends out. So if you can not get FOP on 60 days their is a good chance you will get it 60 + 2 days or etc

Where this eventually headed is speculation, but it's a roundabout way to go back to something similar to the ancient ticket books they had at the MK for the early years, just now via the Magic Bands and more about slots. This is absolutely the first step in what will probably roll out to more by the time Star Wars opens up (and/or the 50th). Fastpass was already used to optimize staffing levels (by reducing ride vehicle count in less-busy times, leading to similar waits regardless) and promote time in shops.

Pretty sure there was evidence in the past that some FP are held aside, though I really haven’t paid attention to those conversations in a LONG time. Might not be right.

I do recall recent threads talking about SAMEDAY FoP FP being released at prescribed times. Not sure where that stands now. They certainly have the ABILITY to titrate FPs that they can use if needed.

I’d still be VERY surprised if this small 90-day sample would take up all/most of the FPS for a FoP, for instance.

If there has been any significant evidence, I have never seen it. The FP FAQ, Post #5, has consistently stated otherwise for years:
- There is little evidence that different “pools” of FPs are maintained for different booking windows. In other words, the full slate of FPs available for any particular attraction is released at one time, some 70+ days in advance, and none are saved for offsite guests or those who wait until they arrive in the park.

The only metric that matters is how the number of guests that occupy those rooms compares to the total number of available FPs for the hardest to get attractions. Right now, if you pay extra for FPs, there is an almost 100% chance that you are going to buy one for FoP. So is 2,000 FPs a day for FoP a material number? I don't know.

I rather doubt that is the metric Disney cares about. They are measuring reaction and I can just picture the information they are gathering.

1: what percentage of cl guests take advantage of the offer and what is the feedback in regards to cost?

2: what is the pushback if guests angry about the offer and how it diminishes their experience?

3: what is the pushback from guests NOT included in the offer?

I believe #3 is the most important question and where the number crunchers will focus. If Disney gets a large enough pool of guests who are offended they are being excluded from this pay for play offer, you can take it to the bank Disney will offer a "plan" to all onsite guests. Yes, they may tweak the price, but they are not looking at who is buying. They are looking at those who say they want to buy

Probably already mentioned, have not read. Additional cost of about $200 premium charge per day over most expensive non-club room to get club.

To me that’s not really important for 2 reasons.

1) I doubt people are going to upgrade to club level solely for the ability to purchase this. People had a variety of reasons for justifying booking a club level room before, I can’t see this changing that too much.

2) I very much doubt this stays club level only.

To me that’s not really important for 2 reasons.

1) I doubt people are going to upgrade to club level solely for the ability to purchase this. People had a variety of reasons for justifying booking a club level room before, I can’t see this changing that too much.

2) I very much doubt this stays club level only.

Right, but cl is a good trial group. This is to see if people who already are prone to pay a premium for extras will fund a value, and what is their price point? If these folks turn their nose up, it may be an indication that this is a "perk" that will not generate anything but poor customer relatiobs

I rather doubt that is the metric Disney cares about.
This isn't about what Disney cares about. The point being made pertained to whether this new offering would have a measurable impact on FP availability, and to that end, it is what the guest cares about that matters. Of course Disney doesn't care about distribution. If it is going to dole out 10,000 FP per day for a ride, they couldn't care less who gets them. They only care about how much revenue is generated through the doling process.

Right, but cl is a good trial group. This is to see if people who already are prone to pay a premium for extras will fund a value, and what is their price point? If these folks turn their nose up, it may be an indication that this is a "perk" that will not generate anything but poor customer relatiobs

I tend to think that once this is rolling, it’s a runaway train not getting pulled back into the station. I don’t see it as a test, but a phased roll out. I hope I’m wrong.

I think Disney already knows that guests are very willing to pay top dollar for extras in the parks. For years now they’ve had after hours parties, dessert parties, special tours, VIP guides, they know the market is there.

If there has been any significant evidence, I have never seen it. The FP FAQ, Post #5, has consistently stated otherwise for years:
OK - you're the expert! I've pretty much happily ignored the FP discussions for years now... since just after FP+ inception, probably. Back then there was most definitely speculation and I thought there had been some evidence cited.

How about this point below? Do you think they have the capability to titrate FP distribution? And could here with a new 90day window if deemed necessary? Heard anything about them adding sameday FoP FPs at any point?

I do recall recent threads talking about SAMEDAY FoP FP being released at prescribed times. Not sure where that stands now. They certainly have the ABILITY to titrate FPs that they can use if needed..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter