Want to add on but can't find the unicorn. Where to compromise?

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
Ok folks. I feel like I should know the answers here. We've got a resale and a direct contract, and after much analysis we decided that we need 25-150 more points (probably around 100). When we bought, we bought thinking we'd be in one bedrooms forever. Then we had another kid. They keep getting bigger, and our vacations have to now be in busier seasons due to school breaks.

After crunching and crunching the numbers, we found that our ideal add on is at Grand Floridian because we already have some points there but not enough. The length of the deed also means that over time it is actually one of the better deals for us as well. It doesn't matter tons if it is direct or resale because the direct prices aren't that different from the resale ones over time at this point. I could KICK myself for not buying more initially.

The problem is, I cannot FIND this contract. I have not seen this available resale OR direct for our use year (intentionally not listing use year so it's clear this is not a solicitation for a sale.) I've been touching base with our DVC guide as well and he hasn't found it yet either, they aren't even waitlisting for them.

Should I consider another resort, like copper creek, and then not have enough for a full 11 month window at either resort? Should I consider another use year? Both of our other contracts are the same use year and it's been easy to coordinate trips that way, but I don't think I would be horribly compromised by another use year. Should I stick to my guns and wait for the contract to emerge and be ready to pay full price? Any tips for ensuring I don't miss it the second it hits the market? Should I see a therapist? HELP :)

I have been monitoring VGF sales also, and the pickings are slim. My advice would be to be patient and something will come along. In the meantime, if you need a 2BR, try to do it by borrowing. THis will buy you some time.

There is one site that seems to have a good selection, but I am not sure if I can mention it here. If you see a bunch of asterisks, you know I cannot. https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/?filter-resort=Grand Floridian
This site is the most aggressive in seeking high prices for resales, and that could be why VGF owners list there.

Based on what you're saying, I would definitely wait for more GFV points in your UY so you can book the full vacation at 11 months. I would only add on in a different resort if you wanted to routinely split stay, use the points for different trips, or were routinely booking at 7 months.

It's ok to mention what UY you're looking for, because board members have helped each other find contracts :-) Otherwise, I'd keep bugging your guide about direct points. Some have had luck by being persistent. Call you guide regularly to ask about points. Also call on the first day or so of your UY. So if you had an October UY, call on October 1 or 2 (the reason is because DVC needs current UY points to be able to sell you the contract).

And for resale... download the apps for brokers who have them, sign up for all the email lists, and check broker listings multiple times a day.

It'll come up eventually!

I'm in a similar boat- we have decided to look for a 100 pt BRV Dec UY with 2018 pt- it's been like looking for a needle in a haystack!! I feel like I'm on this huge mission to find it! Like others have said- download the apps, check the sites multiple times, get updates from Twitter. I've contemplating looking at other resorts but then I remind myself that no- we want BRV (CCV won't work for us sleeping 4). I'm giving myself until January and then will debate changing our priorities if necessary. I totally understand what you are going through!!! Hang in there and be patient!!

VGF owners tend to keep their contracts, VGF is one of our three favorite resorts and we were willing to pay more to stay there.

:earsboy: Bill

@twinsouvenirs have you downloaded the resale broker apps and set alerts? I read that recommendation on here, set it, and literally forgot about it. A couple months later two 50 point VGC contracts in my use year popped up, I called with a minute of getting the alert, and got them. I dare say the odds of that coming up were much, much less than a 100 point VGF contract in your use year, but they still popped up. I would encourage you to stay patient. Your contract will come up eventually.

You guys are saints. I had no idea that the sites had apps with alerts, that is exactly what I need!!!

We have an August use year, in case anyone sees anything.

Thank you for making me feel less crazy. I'll stay patient and keep hoarding more cash for more potential points :)

We ended up compromising on number of points when we bought resale. We initially wanted 100-125 points but ended up with a contract with 160pts. It was actually a good move as we have had no issue using the extra points. That said, if you can afford to be patient I would give it some time and hopefully your unicorn will appear, good luck!!

It took me over a year to match my use year and thus buy VGF points -I compromised on number of points - I wanted around 120-130, grabbed 160 :) all that waiting did allow me to accumulate more cash on hand so that I was able to go for more points when the higher point contract showed up.
I say wait for the unicorn.

Wait for the unicorn. It's not really a unicorn - I am also Aug UY at VGF and these contracts seem to go in waves. When I was looking for my add-on, it seemed like all that was coming up for sale was April UY. Then, a few Aug UY contracts came up and I jumped on one, and of course during ROFR I kept seeing other Aug VGF contracts that were getting listed that looked good too. All told, I was looking softly for about 6 weeks before making an offer on the one we are buying.

I also didn't make offers on contracts that I thought were too highly priced - I made 1-2 offers that didn't go anywhere and then ended up with the one I'm in contract on now. Even if I bought direct and assumed I could get a fully loaded and banked contract and I rented out those points, I still would have saved thousands. So I would hold on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!