Want to do the parks before.

fuzzyfuzzy00001

Earning My Ears
I am think of doing a one or two night stay at Disney World and then the cruise. Is there a bus that can take me from the Disney hotel or do I have to get my own transportation to the ship. Also I am assuming booking a stay at Disney world would have to be done separately.

I am think of doing a one or two night stay at Disney World and then the cruise. Is there a bus that can take me from the Disney hotel or do I have to get my own transportation to the ship. Also I am assuming booking a stay at Disney world would have to be done separately.
There is a DCL transfer bus that transports from all WDW resorts to the port. It costs $39 per person one way.

It's generally a better idea to book WDW stay separate from DCL cruise. There used to be land/sea packages, but it turned out that it was a better price to book each separately, and those packages stopped being offered.

@PrincessShmoo knows the system best. If it is just you, go with the DCL bus system. If you have a large group ( 6 or more) a private limo service may be a bit cheaper.
We book each separately whether it's just us or our family of nine. WDW has more variables to consider, time, and book. I enjoy the simplicity of the cruise after a day at WDW.

We are doing this in a few weeks. We are staying at AKL and booked private transfer to the port. I think a private car was around 140 for the four of us. This way we can get there as early as possible. I read that when you use disney transport from a disney hotel to the port, you get there on the later side (around 12:30?). We like to get there as early as possible to board as early as possible.

In addition to the timing know that if you use DCL transport your luggage will be collected from your WDW resort room the morning of your cruise (usually around 8AM) and automatically delivered to your stateroom; if arranging private transportation you will need to be able to take all luggage with you in your private transfer or rental car.

We are doing this in a few weeks. We are staying at AKL and booked private transfer to the port. I think a private car was around 140 for the four of us. This way we can get there as early as possible. I read that when you use disney transport from a disney hotel to the port, you get there on the later side (around 12:30?). We like to get there as early as possible to board as early as possible.

We've used the Disney Cruise Line buses twice from Disney resorts prior to our cruise. I love the ease and convenience of it (like pp said they pick up your luggage at the resort and you don't see it again until it's delivered to your stateroom). The last time however, we weren't even picked up at our resort until 12:30, had 2 resort stops after ours and didn't get on the ship until after 2pm. It was fine for us, because we wanted a nice laid back vacation, but if it is your first time on the ship or have young kids that want to swim, check into clubs, etc. it was super late. So I completely understand why so many would prefer to book private to get there earlier. There's definitely pros and cons.

So I completely understand why so many would prefer to book private to get there earlier. There's definitely pros and cons.

One of the cons of that is that you'll probably end up waiting around in the terminal for a while and will have to haul your carry on bags around with you until your room is ready at 1:30 pm. We got to the terminal a couple of years ago just before they opened the doors because local friends picked us up at MCO Hyatt. I wouldn't normally be there that early. We got through check-in quickly and got a seat at one of the very few tables. Then had people literally pressed up against me for an hour and had to push my way through the crowd to board (we were boarding number 2-ish). No one wants to get out of the way even though they have a higher/later boarding number and they're not getting on any earlier by blocking you but they do anyway. I had to use elbows to keep from being squished. Never again. I want to breeze in and head right to my room.

There is also an option of a Minnie Van (Disney-operated private SUV transfer) but it is $240 each way before tip, so it is only cost effective for a larger group.

We did the DCL transportation from WDW in Feb. While we got to the ship around 12:00 or so, it was great. The bus plays Disney animated shorts and trivia on multiple TV screens. We didn't have to lug our bags around. Our bags were picked up at 8AM (on the dot). Got on the ship literally within 10 minutes of getting off the bus and didn't see our bags again until our room was ready. It might be a bit more expensive but so worth it.

I read that the bus transfer went up, but when I ordered them this past Sunday for my husband and me it was a total $140.00 meaning $35.00 per person each way. I don't get why they charged me like that. And then the pre-paid tips was more than I calculated with that new increase as well. Anyone else having similar issues?

I read that the bus transfer went up, but when I ordered them this past Sunday for my husband and me it was a total $140.00 meaning $35.00 per person each way. I don't get why they charged me like that. And then the pre-paid tips was more than I calculated with that new increase as well. Anyone else having similar issues?
The transfer cost went up - for those people who didn't purchase their transfers by a specific date. If you already had transfers booked when the price increased, you'll be charged the old price.

If you just purchased your transfers, then you got lucky.

You could also spend your last night after the parks at the MCO Hyatt, which costs less than most Disney resorts but is as least as nice as a deluxe. You could give Magical Express an imaginary late flight time (or just tell them directly what time you want to be at the airport) to get free bus service back to the airport that night. That adds one extra bit of transport to your trip, but it would likely save money, and it would get you to the port much earlier than coming from WDW. You could also arrange for Hyatt to take care of your bags that day, so that you can leave them in the hotel room, and they will get them onboard for you. Then you just walk downstairs in the morning and hop whichever DCL bus you like to the port. No scheduled time needed.

The transfer cost went up - for those people who didn't purchase their transfers by a specific date. If you already had transfers booked when the price increased, you'll be charged the old price.

If you just purchased your transfers, then you got lucky.

For guests with cruises already booked prior to December 14 2018, the transfer cost remains at $35, even if the transfer is added after that date. The new price is for anyone booking cruises after that date, or for guests added to an already existing reservation after that date.

I can confirm also that I was charged $140 for 2 people for return transfers ($35pp one way) added in April, for a cruise booked in September '18.

We did the DCL transportation from WDW in Feb. While we got to the ship around 12:00 or so, it was great. The bus plays Disney animated shorts and trivia on multiple TV screens. We didn't have to lug our bags around. Our bags were picked up at 8AM (on the dot). Got on the ship literally within 10 minutes of getting off the bus and didn't see our bags again until our room was ready. It might be a bit more expensive but so worth it.

Would you mind sharing what resort you were at? I'm trying to figure out which resorts pickup earlier for an earlier arrival time at port. I know they say that pick up time can vary, but I think they're pretty consistent. Thanks!

Would you mind sharing what resort you were at? I'm trying to figure out which resorts pickup earlier for an earlier arrival time at port. I know they say that pick up time can vary, but I think they're pretty consistent. Thanks!

I have yet to see anything consistent. It truly does vary depending on the number of people using them and how they are distributed among resorts.

I’m beginning to ponder having my TA change me to leaving from MCO and giving flight info that would have me with a 7am-ish pick-up time to get to MCO. Undecided on if I’ll do it yet.

We were at Port Orleans - Riverside

Totally worth it. Considering you're really only on the boat 1 hour or 1.5 hours later than others, but they are all standing in line or sitting around for a while, totally worth the ease and convenience and a great way to start your trip!

Up to this point (three cruises), I've always used the Disney buses. With our upcoming cruise in November that will follow a WDW stay, we are booking private transportation on our embarkation day from the resort area because we want to board the ship as early as possible. When you use Disney buses, you do not have an option to choose a Port Arrival Time and DCL basically sets a time for you based on what motorcoach you're on and when it will be getting there. When leaving from a resort, you have absolutely no control over the timing.

Cost for Disney transport is $39/person each way. We will use this for our return to MCO because it also affords us the opportunity to have our checked bags handed directly over to Delta. Using their bus for the trip TO the port affords the opportunity to not touch your checked bags once you drop them at the check in area at the resort and they'll just show up in your stateroom. If you DON'T use the bus coming in, you put basic tags on your bags with your stateroom number and hand them off at the terminal. You don't see them again until they show up in your stateroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter