• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Want to read about my problems?Star Wars Weekend is almost here and I haven't trained.....EEEEEkkkk!

irishtwins1112

Mouseketeer
Ok so, I started out registered through a charity for the challenge but when things started to get hairy over the last year, I asked to be switched to the 10k because I knew it wouldn't be smart to do the challenge with little to no training. I figured, hey, I can just walk the 10k no prob. I also registered for the 5k back when it opened because I was feeling super excited and pumped and my plan was to do the 5k 10k and half. So, right now I am sitting on the 5k and 10k registrations. A little background.....I have done tons of 5ks, 10ks, halves and 3 marathons over the last 10 years. Most recently I did Goofy 2015. Early last year through April I was fairly active, but since then I have only done 1-3 miles a handful of times. I am not really one for excuses....but in the last year I have been under a lot of stress. I found out that my 3 year old has potentially life threatening allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and dairy (thankfully he just passed his dairy challenge so that it back on the menu as of a few weeks ago). Behavioral problems with both of my children at the local ymca led me to get them tested for Austism. Both boys were evaluated and diagnosed with Autism. Subsequently the ymca nursery manager wrote up my younger child and said that he had 3 total chances before getting kicked out of the y nursery for good. I stopped going there because I didn't feel the gym was sympathetic to my child's issues. I didn't have a gym option for a while. My grandfather died a few days after my birthday in September. I developed Anxiety and Panic Attacks....which seem to be getting better now. I started to have trouble swallowing in the fall and had a procedure that diagnosed me with GERD which appears to be under control. The dr said it is likely due to all the stress I have been under as well as the weight gain and poor diet choices. Around December 2015 I found a gym that was willing to work with me on some of his behaviors and I have been there probably once or twice every week or two since I joined. I have gained about 20-25 lbs since Goofy weekend. I started with a medical weight loss clinic at the beginning of February and everything was going great (lost 10 lbs) but it threw me into an ulcerative colitis flare. I ended up with an er visit two weekends ago and a hospital stay. I feel like me flare is starting to get better . My grandmother has been in the hospital twice in the last two weeks and both times they have said it is end of life. I am trying to be there for my family members but it is difficult because I live an hour away. Now, here I am with only about 5 weeks from marathon weekend and wondering what I should do. I don't really want to not do either race. I am considering doing one or the other. I don't think I will mentally have a problem finishing either....especially the 5k since it isn't timed. I guess I just wanted some opinions about whether I should attempt both or just one....should I just walk...or would it be ok to run and little bit if I feel good. Would a 40 second walk/20 second run be too much on my knees after gaining weight and not being regular at exercise to complete a 10k. I guess right now I am thinking walk the 5k as slowly as possible and then just see how I feel after and decide whether or not to do the 10k. I still have time...and am hoping to get in some training but I know it won't be much. My kids have speech and occupational therapy every week ....and they are started aba therapy soon twice a week...of which the closest place that offers it is an hour away (and did I mention insurance doesn't cover it and it is going to cost around $800 a month). I know there are others with more serious problems than me ....I just wanted to get a little advice from the dis. Thanks.

Hi, you sure have a lot on your plate right now. Congrats to you for doing Goofy with 2 little ones. That's amazing!! If you can make time for 2 or 3 training sessions each week using walk/run you should be ready for one or both races. Since you've run longer distances the hardest part with doing both races could be the walking up early for both 5K and 10K. Good luck with your training but don't push yourself too hard or you could risk an injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter