was there an abd that changed your opinion of the world?

I wouldn’t say just one specifically. Each one has brought a sense of depth to the area we visited or contained an experience that has given me a greater appreciation and understanding. The hike we did in Scotland was probably the most profound and moving experience for me. The sheer beauty brought tears to my eyes and made me see just how beautiful the world we share really is. The Scotland ABD also made me fall in in love with the country and I have gone back several times since to visit different parts.

I love musicals and the New York ABD has a choreography lesson as part of the experience. I was not interested in this aspect of the itinerary at all. None the less, it was fun and gave me a deeper appreciation for the talent and hard work that goes into the performances I love watching on stage. The visit to the tenement museum was something I would have never chosen to do. It was an awesome experience and gave a deeper understanding of the struggles many of our ancestors faced when they came to this country.

Seeing the influence Ancient Rome in our modern day society was an eye opener. It’s one thing to know that in an abstract sense and quite another to see it. Tuscany also had a profound effect. Something about being there made me want to leave everything behind, relax and just be.

I wouldn't say at any of them changed our opinion of the world, but they have definitely made us more knowledgeable about a lot of different places. I don't know that we would have traveled to South America outside of a tour, and we enjoyed Ecuador/Galapagos so much we went back and did Peru. My husband loved our Australia trip so much he wants to move there now ;)

I'm not sure any of them have changed my opinion of the world, but they have definitely changed my opinion of the place(s) we visited. The China ABD totally changed my perception of modern day China. I had to admit that my perceptions were, to a large extent, just wrong. And a lot of them have changed my opinion of *me*.

Sayhello

I'm not sure any of them have changed my opinion of the world, but they have definitely changed my opinion of the place(s) we visited. The China ABD totally changed my perception of modern day China. I had to admit that my perceptions were, to a large extent, just wrong. And a lot of them have changed my opinion of *me*.

Sayhello
I couldn’t agree more with this. My mond was blown by modern day China. Pretty much every preconceived idea I had about what it would be like ... wrong.

I couldn’t agree more with this. My mond was blown by modern day China. Pretty much every preconceived idea I had about what it would be like ... wrong.

Maybe this isn't for this forum, and it is just my curiosity, but what were some of those pre-conceived notions. I've been to China 60+ times and lived there for almost a year. The parts where ABD goes has changed tremendously in the last 10 years, and if you went to western China it may be more consistent with those pre-conceived notions. Again, just curious as to what folks expected when they went to China. In some respects around the use of technology in everyday life, China is way ahead of the US.

Maybe this isn't for this forum, and it is just my curiosity, but what were some of those pre-conceived notions. I've been to China 60+ times and lived there for almost a year. The parts where ABD goes has changed tremendously in the last 10 years, and if you went to western China it may be more consistent with those pre-conceived notions. Again, just curious as to what folks expected when they went to China. In some respects around the use of technology in everyday life, China is way ahead of the US.
Yes, the technology and newness of the infrastructure was not what i was imagining at all.

I wouldn't say at any of them changed our opinion of the world, but they have definitely made us more knowledgeable about a lot of different places. I don't know that we would have traveled to South America outside of a tour, and we enjoyed Ecuador/Galapagos so much we went back and did Peru. My husband loved our Australia trip so much he wants to move there now ;)
We agree! I nearly stayed in Byron Bay.

We've now done 3 ABD's outside the US. I'd say that the two we did in Europe were excellent in terms of seeing different (but somehow familiar) places and cultures. The one we did in China was really, really different. So yes, my views of the world have been changed.

Surprisingly enough, Germany and specifically our guide Stephanie. She was raised in East Germany and shared such interesting personal stories about Germany both before and after the reunification. It gave me a completely new perspective on Germany after WW2.

Laurie

Surprisingly enough, Germany and specifically our guide Stephanie. She was raised in East Germany and shared such interesting personal stories about Germany both before and after the reunification. It gave me a completely new perspective on Germany after WW2.

I really enjoyed her story, too! She is an awesome guide and person.

On the Danube Cruise, I also enjoyed seeing countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain (Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic). Having grown up with terrible tales of Communism, it was wonderful to see these countries and enjoy their culture.

I really enjoyed her story, too! She is an awesome guide and person.

On the Danube Cruise, I also enjoyed seeing countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain (Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic). Having grown up with terrible tales of Communism, it was wonderful to see these countries and enjoy their culture.
That's very true. Standing there today, it's hard to imagine how it was in those countries not so long ago, when they were under Communist control.

Sayhello

She is such an awesome guide. There was a family on our cruise with a teenage son. Their first ABD was Germany when he was a little kid and Steph was the guide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter