Was THIS A Cutback ??

meiandrew

Mouseketeer
I was just thinking of Fantasmic!, and remembering when it first opened. They used to have these two guys do an act as preshow entertainment. They did some jokes, juggling, etc...

Also, there was a lady with a broom (I think...its coming back to me slowly) that ran up and down the aisles acting crazy... and then at other shows a guy that used to get the whole crowd to do a "flash wave" with their cameras..

What happened to all of these people !!!? They really used to get the crowd going !!!

Were they all let go as part of the cutbacks?

TIA !!!

We have been going to Fantasmic since 2000, and I never saw any of the above mentioned things. However, they do have the CM's down front that get everyone going with the WAVE.

I believe that was one of the October 2001 cutbacks, though I am not 100% on that - may have been later.

<< We have been going to Fantasmic since 2000, and I never saw any of the above mentioned things. However, they do have the CM's down front that get everyone going with the WAVE.

>>

This guy used to do a variation of the standard WAVE, with camera flashes that used to go off when he called a certain section. He used to come up with a different name for the
"Malicifent" (sp?) section all of the time. The kids used to love him !! The other guys used to juggle while standing on chairs.

I do remember a few years ago of a few entertainer's out in the crouds. One guy in a plaid suit stealling hats, sunglass, wives, ect. Other's getting the wave going. But when we were there last sept I didn't see any of this. I kind of missed it, it help the long wait for the show to start.

I remember the camera flash Mexican wave, I played my part in it too :p . Got a picture of a whole bunch of flashes going off, it's not the best photo I have in my collection but I know what it is when I look at it even if nobody else 'gets' it.

I think that was in 2000, I can't be totally sure of that though.

Louise

Meiandrew,

I do remember those two guys. I remember, when I first saw them, I thought they reminded me of Lewis and Martin. They were very funny! The last time I recall seeing them was in 2000.
I have not seen them since then. I hope they bring them back....

I remember the guy dressed in plaid! He was hilarious and made the wait seem so much shorter. The only CM's I see now are those selling toys and things, and they do try to get the wave started. But it fizzles out quickly.

Rosie was the woman with the broom. She also performed at Indiana Jones. She reminded me of the Carol Burnett's cleaning woman character. We also saw the two guys. They were dressed like bellhops. We saw them on the streets performing also. It's been years since we saw any of them and they were not a result of any of the cutbacks.

Actually, the removal of Fantasmic pre-show entertainment was not a cutback. Those performers were not hired specifically for that venue, and the sets (which varied depending on which performers were working each day) were discontinued because the Vending dept. decided that the performances had a negative effect on vending business.
The Streetmosphere characters, like all AEA performers at WDW work on 1-year contracts, and change a bit each year depending on individual situations/negotiations.

Pre-show entertainment sets ended before 2001. The Streetmosphere characters who performed those sets continued (and some of them continue still) to perform elsewhere in the park.

<< Rosie was the woman with the broom. She also performed at Indiana Jones. She reminded me of the Carol Burnett's cleaning woman character. We also saw the two guys. They were dressed like bellhops. We saw them on the streets performing also. It's been years since we saw any of them and they were not a result of any of the cutbacks.

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!!

ROSIE !!! And they WERE dressed like bellhops. They really made the waiting time fly !!!

On our first trip we had a heavyset guy entertaining the crowd. That was the best part of the show for my son. We missed the pre-show entertainment on subsequent trips.

3 years ago we saw everything you described while waiting for Huntchback (which of course is gone now:( ). I love the shows, they are some of my favorite parts of the parks.

If you really like this kind of entertainment there is a preshow at Cirque De La Mar (I think that's what it's called) at Sea World that, at least as of last year, had the funniest act of it's kind that I have EVER seen. (Yes, we saw the old Fantasmic preshow). We would not have any real interest in seeing the Cirque show itself again but my kids are still talking about that preshow. Truly hysterical!

Safari Steve... It seems like it always comes down to money! I can't believe they no longer have pre-show entertainment because the VENDING DEPT so dictated. It was a lot of fun, and most people don't even know they're missing anything.

His name was Francis and we LOVED him!! He was hilarious.:D :D

He called Maleficent--malacaphony--and we still call her that!

<< If you really like this kind of entertainment there is a preshow at Cirque De La Mar (I think that's what it's called) at Sea World that, at least as of last year, had the funniest act of it's kind that I have EVER seen. (Yes, we saw the old Fantasmic preshow). We would not have any real interest in seeing the Cirque show itself again but my kids are still talking about that preshow. Truly hysterical!

>>

Agree !!! That is a very cool show !! The mime (the short guy with the hat) is real funny... does some great stuff with the audience. Almost as funny as the mime that used to be at the "Clyde and Seymour" show at "Sea World" !!!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

The Mime was still at Clyde & Seymour in Jan 2003. Amazing that Seaworld didn't find preshow entertainment having a "negative"effect on vending. Maybe they just are more concerned for the guest experience vs. money!!

Chip,chip,chip!

We saw Rosie in front of Hollywood and Vine on 4/22 this year!!
At first when I heard her *loud talking* I thought it was my mother!! lol who was with us on this trip. But Mom was standing on the other side!!

She was a hoot. She was really giving it to a couple! They couldn't get away from her!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter