Washer/Dryer question

washer right, dryer left.....that's the way they were installed because that is where the dryer vent is and the water pipes are by the washer

Washer on the left, with a door that swings from the right to the left, and dryer on the right, with a door that swings from the left to the right. In other words, when both doors are open, I can easily and smoothly move the stuff from the washer to the dryer. Door opening is more important than which is left and which is right. Make sure that when both doors are open you don't have to "move around" the open door to get something moved.

I would say in most cases its going to depend on where the sink the water from the washer drains and where the dryer vent is.
At the house I grew up in the sink was off to the right so washer was on the right and dryer on the left.
My current house the sink is off to the left so washer is on the left dryer is on the right.

I'm not sure it's a preference, but it's the way mine was set up when we moved in over 25 years ago, and now I don't think I'd like it "backwards". The washer is on the left, and the dryer is on the right.

My mother's house has the washer on the right and the dryer on the left.

I would say in most cases its going to depend on where the sink the water from the washer drains and where the dryer vent is.
At the house I grew up in the sink was off to the right so washer was on the right and dryer on the left.
My current house the sink is off to the left so washer is on the left dryer is on the right.

Of, course! Why didn't I think about that. That is exactly why mine is set up the way that it is.

Ok guys, I'm losing this battle with DH. I told him I was sure 99% of the DISers would say washer on the left. I will walk slowly away from this thread and be thankful that DH never reads the DIS!! :teeth: :duck:

Washer on the left, dryer on the right the past 5 years since we got our front loaders. That is not how we wanted them. But the installer pointed out that front load washers, at least our LG, have the door on the WASHER hinged on the left side, and the door on the DRYER hinged on the right side and they are designed to be placed this way so you can move the washing to the dryer without having the door in the way.

Our dryer vent is on the left side, so I had to get a longer vent tube when we put the dryer on the right side.

This was our situation too. The hookups are for a dryer on the left and washer on the right, but then with front loaders the doors would hit each other. So we got longer hoses and a dryer vent extender so the washer is on the left and dryer on the right.

Hookups day washer left dryer right. From loaders. My washer door is hinged to left and dryer door hinges on right currently, do laundry doesn’t need to be lifted over a door.

However- the dryer door CAN be switched to hinge on left- and at one point in former house it was- as I had them stacked.

Everyone complaining about the dryer door- check to see if hinges can switch- my LG frontoader dryer can be switched

Washer on right, dryer on left. If I recall over the years, this is basically how the laundry has been set up in all the homes we've lived in. I've had a front loader for years.

When we had top loaders, the washer was on the right, but with front loaders the washer is on the left so the doors open out to the sides and don’t interfere with moving the clothes from one to the other.

Washer on the left, dryer on the right the past 5 years since we got our front loaders. That is not how we wanted them. But the installer pointed out that front load washers, at least our LG, have the door on the WASHER hinged on the left side, and the door on the DRYER hinged on the right side and they are designed to be placed this way so you can move the washing to the dryer without having the door in the way.

Our dryer vent is on the left side, so I had to get a longer vent tube when we put the dryer on the right side.
I just reversed the swing of the dryer door when it was on the wrong side. It was easy to do.

Every washer and dryer went where the hookups were. Dryer on the outside wall closest to the vent connection. Washer closest to the utility sink (I think I've had a utility sink in most of my laundry rooms).

Ok guys, I'm losing this battle with DH. I told him I was sure 99% of the DISers would say washer on the left. I will walk slowly away from this thread and be thankful that DH never reads the DIS!! :teeth: :duck:

If it makes you feel better, my washer is on the left, and 99% of the time you and I are correct. :D

In pretty much all the homes I've seen hookups are where the washer is on the left and the dryer is on the right. For most people they will likely go off of what the hookups are when they have actual hookups.

Our washer and dryer is a front loader with the doors able to be installed on either side for flexibility. Our laundry room is on the second story and is vented through the roof.

{ETA: Just realized I never said what our house is lol. Our house the washer is on the left, dryer on the right}.

Last edited:

When you say sink do you mean something like this?

upload_2018-12-6_17-39-19.png

I just reversed the swing of the dryer door when it was on the wrong side. It was easy to do.

Every washer and dryer went where the hookups were. Dryer on the outside wall closest to the vent connection. Washer closest to the utility sink (I think I've had a utility sink in most of my laundry rooms).
You made me go look. My doors are not reversible. We have a utility sink, but it is in the garage, not the laundry room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter