Washington DC

kmurawski

Mouseketeer
This isn't exactly an ABD but rather regarding an exchange of DVC points for the Mandarin Oriental Washington DC.

Has anyone been there? We booked today. Our son requested a trip to DC for his graduation and I thought the place looked pretty good. We booked a City View Tai Pan Club room. Just looking for feedback.

Thanks!

they were VERY pleased. I work in DC. The hotel is easily walkable to museums, Capitol, etc. It is a very fancy place and a very good use of points, based upon what the per night cost would be. DC is a fabulous place to visit. have fun! Elaine

Thanks. We think it's a good use of points too. Haven't been to DC since Reagan's inauguration. Do you recommend any restaurants?

Kmurawski,

I live right outside of Washington DC, in Virginia, and absolutely love it! There are some really great restaurants in the city. A couple of my favorites are The Old Ebbit Grill (It is one of the oldest and most renowned in the city, it is a little pricey average dinner being around $15 per person, but it really is a great old restaurant), and Georgetown Seafood (this is another pricey place, but again it is really worth it!).

Also if you have time and want to do some shopping while in DC, I recommend going to the Georgetown mall. It is really nice, and even if you aren't buying anything it is just nice to window shop. There is also a Dean and DeLuca (food and wine store, you can practically eat your way through the store) right next to the mall which is also really fun to go through.

I hope this helps and that you all have a nice trip to DC, it is really a beautiful city!

Hi, kmurawski! I happen to work at Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. ;) Have you been to DC already (saw you posted on the 9th but wasn't sure when you were going)? I actually work in the Spa, so I don't really go upstairs all that much. The thing with the hotel is that while it is super convenient to the Smithsonian and National Mall, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I hear the SW Waterfront is up and coming, but right now the hotel is in the middle of a bunch of office buildings--the food choices in the immediate vicinity are a Starbucks and Pot Belly's Sandwiches (which is closed on weekends). In the hotel itself, there is the Empress Lounge (bar and light fare), Cafe MoZu, and CityZen, which is an award-winning restaurant. Probably in the top 5 for restaurants in DC. Reservations are very difficult to get there--I went looking for a reservation for 2 back in October and found availability on December 11th, just to give you an idea.

The hotel is gorgeous, but I think there are some "waterview" rooms that kind of give you a view of the parking lot and a bit of the Tidal Basin.

I am a foodie, too, so I can give you some rec's for restaurants. What kind of food are you into?

As for shopping options, I've worked in Union Station, Georgetown, and Tysons Corner, so I could tell you a little bit about those too, if you want.

Thanks for that great info. We are going in July and don't mind taking cabs or using public transportation. We are really into ethnic foods. At least going in the summer should give us additional daylight time. We opted for the city view room since we didn't hear many good reviews about the water view. We did go with the Tai Pan Club for the additional refreshments.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

If you need any pics of the hotel or surrounding area, let me know! I recommend packing your swimsuits. As a hotel guest, these amenities are provided to you free of charge:

--The Pool, open at 5:30am-9:00pm daily, children 16 and under must be supervised. Lap pool, heated, 50ft wide and 4ft deep. We have big round lounge chairs by the pool that swivel. Great for reading and the view is of the pier/boats. In the evening the sunset is great because there are a lot of windows. In the summer there are lounge chairs outside for sunbathing. The hotel also built a little walkway that allows you easier access to the Tidal Basin. It's essentially a bridge that bypasses traffic.

--Fitness Center, open at 5:30am-9:00pm daily. All the business folk that come through here are always amazed by the gym. Lots of variety (treadmills, ellipticals, weights, yoga mats, pilates balls). Some of the equipment have TVs. The hotel provides headphones, towels, reading material, water, tea, and fresh fruit.

--Heat and Water Experience, open at 7:30am-9:00pm daily, 18 years old and over only. Women's area has the Amethyst Crystal Steam Bath, Vitality Pool with jets, Experience Shower, and Ice Fountain. Men's area has Amethyst Crystal Steam Bath, Dry Sauna, Plunge Pool (no jets), and Experience Shower. Come down in your robe or ask the spa staff for a locker key and robe. Each area has a Relaxation Lounge with relaxing music, plenty of reading material, fruit-infused water, tea, and fresh fruit.

Okay, now that I've told you about the area in the hotel where I work :rotfl: here are some food suggestions.

If you want to just hang out in the hotel, I know that either Cafe MoZu or the Empress Lounge serves a curry lunch buffet during the weekdays. It's supposed to be a variety of Indian and Thai curries. I haven't tried it myself, though.

The majority of really good ethnic food is going to be in the suburbs. Korean food can be found in Annandale, VA (Koreatown). In DC itself I think there are only 3 options for Korean. There's a not-so-great place downtown, a mom 'n pop takeout joint in Adams Morgan, and a bulgogi street cart. For good, cheap Vietnamese food, you can't go wrong with Eden Center in Falls Church, VA. I'm Viet so I know Vietnamese food. However, these parts are far away from DC. Eden Center is accessible by Metro but it's not only ridiculously far, you have to either walk or cab an extra mile to get there.

However, Pho 75 is a good chain that's been around since I was a little girl. There is one location that isn't too far from the Rosslyn Metro. It's also next to Ray's the Steaks, which has a very good rep for high yet affordable meat. The owner/chef of Ray's also opened a hamburger joint next door called Ray's Hellburger.

Also in Rosslyn there is a hotel that recently opened with an Italian restaurant called Domasoteca. The head chef there used to work at Portobello Yacht Club.

With that being said, have you tried Ethiopian food? There are a few great Ethiopian restaurants right by the U Street metro stop, which is on the green line. The neighborhood is "up and coming," which is just a way of saying that sometimes it feels kinda shady depending on what time of the day you go, but if you act smart and are aware of your surroundings, you should be okay :thumbsup2: Also, Ben's Chili Bowl is there, and that is practically a Washington institution.

LOL! I didn't even think about that. I spend a lot of time in Reston, Fairfax, and DC.

Okay, in Silver Spring, my favorite Chinese restaurant is Oriental East for dim sum. That's right off the Silver Spring Metro. It is very very popular on weekends. When my friend lived in the apartments nearby, we used to do dim sum takeout and eat it at his place, but of course it's not quite the same. There are also two local chains in the Downtown Silver Spring that I like. Lebanese Taverna and Moby Dick (kabobs). I eat at the Lebanese Taverna location here pretty often, but they recently opened a fancier restaurant in Bethesda that is very nice. As for Silver Spring's Moby Dick, they are okay. I prefer the location in Georgetown. Used to work across the street from that location and have fond memories of the older handsome owner/manager. Also, Cake Love is there but I think their $4 cupcakes are overrated (very dry!)

There's also an Indian restaurant called Bombay in White Oak shopping center that's pretty much a 2-minute drive from my house. However, that is not Metro accessible. But it was voted in Washingtonian Magazine's Cheap Eats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter