Waste tank in RV

Mary2e

DIS Veteran
When renting the RV, I saw mention of waste tank cleaning. I asked the owner exactly what we had to do - he said the best thing would be to look at YouTube videos for cleaning out the "black" tank. I had assumed that once connected at FW, waste wouldn't be an issue :)

Can someone point me toward a good video to describe and teach us what we may need to do? I'm not very good at searching YouTube.

Is cleaning out these tanks the reason why people use the comfort stations?

Not exactly sure what the rental company expects of you by 'cleaning' the black tank. :confused3 We always keep our black tank closed, and the grey tank hooked up to the facilities until a couple days before leaving, then close it.

On leaving, we open black tank, drain, then open grey tank and let it flow through hose. This helps to 'clean' the hose except for a good rinse.

Except for putting a few gallons of clean water in the black water tank after dumping, that is all the 'cleaning' we do unless we are not camping for awhile. Dh always handles that part so maybe someone else can point you to a youtube if you need more info. Good luck!

As for using comfort stations, versus their RV's, people use them for various reasons. We never have, preferring our own (one big reason for having our own 'home' at campgrounds). The hookups for the facilities there would not be anyone's reason that I can see for not using their RV bathrooms. They're easy to connect.

Last edited:
Some newer models, like our RV have a black tank flush hose station, I just loop our outdoor shower hose to it and flush the black tank out with hot water. On our older unit I would use powdered laundry detergent and generic Pine Sol along with Thetford, make sure you fill the black tank as full as possible, then dump. Before putting it away for the winter,
I then fill the bowl about 3 times along with the soap then dump again. See BLACK TANK hose connection below

Black-Water-Tank.jpg

Attachments

• Black-Water-Tank.jpg
    Black-Water-Tank.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm sorta with my friend North-of-Mouse/Joy on this one. Why does the rental company expect you to do anything with the black tank?

The idea of a rental trailer is that the VENDOR tows it in, the VENDOR sets it (including utilities), then you drive up and get the key/lock code and carry in your stuff. When you are ready to leave, you take your stuff out (to your vehicle, MDE, etc.), hand key/code back or follow similar instructions, and you leave. The VENDOR takes it down (including utilities) and the VENDOR tows it off.

To be clear, I've never rented trailer and am not familiar with the nuances associated but I would assume ANY involvement with the setup and take-down is the responsibility of the VENDOR. Am I overlooking something? :confused3

I could understand if you were picking up the trailer at the vendor's location, towing it yourself, setting it up yourself, taking it down yourself, and towing it back to the vendor's location, that you would have to do what is required to basically make it "broom ready" for the next guest. But you're having the vendor take it to the Fort and set it up, right Mary? That's my assumption.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I agree. Not sure I'm paying to have to clean the tank. Maybe this is something they all require and I just never heard of it.

Not sure on video. Most people I know who don't have a built in flush system would stick a water hose in the toilet and flush it out.

I wonder what penalty is for not flushing it?

I agree also, OP was asking how to, If I rented one I would expect the rental company to handle it, when I rent a car I don't vacuum it out before returning

We have to empty our black tank about every 3 days. If you're in the rental 3 days or more you will have to empty yours. The gray water tank stays open at all times. The black stays closed until it's full, then emptied. Then close it add some chemical to it and you're good for 3 days.

I may have misposted... I believe he said manage the tank but to make sure it's closed at all times. Since I don't even know what a black tank is, I'm now guessing it's the toilet waste tank. So that means we have to check it every few days to make sure it's not full.

He did say he did not expect us to clean it. But we'll find out :)

I may have misposted... I believe he said manage the tank but to make sure it's closed at all times. Since I don't even know what a black tank is, I'm now guessing it's the toilet waste tank. So that means we have to check it every few days to make sure it's not full. He did say he did not expect us to clean it. But we'll find out :)

You are correct that the black tank is toilet waste. Check every couple of days, should be a control center that would show how full all tanks are. I usually empty my black tank when it shows 3/4 full. Gray tank stays open all the time. When you empty black tank, I fill the toilet up to top then flush, I do that about 3 times, then close the black tank valve. I also have treatment to put in tank.

I may have misposted... I believe he said manage the tank but to make sure it's closed at all times. Since I don't even know what a black tank is, I'm now guessing it's the toilet waste tank. So that means we have to check it every few days to make sure it's not full.

Many RVs have a display center inside that let you know how full the tanks are getting. There are 3: gray water, black water, and fresh water. The gray water fills up with sink and shower water. Black is the toilet. And yes it should be kept closed. There is a spot under the trailer where a large hose is connected for the waste. The hose goes into the campsites sewer hook up. Under the trailer are 2 little handles to pull to open each of the waste tanks. It's not hard but can be a smelly job. Just warning you.
Happy camping!

Well this makes a little more sense now.

The valve should stay closed on the black tank (unless one were emptying it at that moment) and the trailer should be set up with it in that position for you. So basically, what the vendor means is try to use the Comfort Stations when you can to keep the usage low on the black tank.

Renters like yourself aren't familiar with the need to manage the tanks or emptying them and it's a kabuki dance of doing the right steps in the right order. I thought that was asking a bit much of a renter. And that explains why the issue hadn't come up here on the board for all the years folks have been renting. You shouldn't have to mess with it and most renters must not have had to.

You should be fine as long as the black tank doesn't get full (and needs to be emptied). The vendor probably does that when he picks up the unit.

Bama Ed

The black tank handles the toilet waste, as everyone else has stated. But in some trailers, the manufacturers have plumbed the showers or other grey water sources to the black tank as a short cut. So just a heads up that it may also be getting water from somewhere other than the toilet.

I find it kinda odd that the rental place would tell you to look for a You Tube video instead of explaining to you what they what like you to do and give you a simple walk through :confused3
Either way, enjoy your time at The Fort :thumbsup2

I find it kinda odd that the rental place would tell you to look for a You Tube video instead of explaining to you what they what like you to do and give you a simple walk through :confused3
Either way, enjoy your time at The Fort :thumbsup2

Could the rental be private? Saw this at Grand Canyon trip, motorhome pulls in next to us, had no clue how anything worked. Couldn't get power to half the home, (wasn't nothing they did, replacement 50A cord end was not installed properly) Little later I went outside and water was running out from camper, told them, they finally came out, couldn't figure it out so I went over, they had city water hooked to fill tank on camper and when the tank was full it was running out the overflow! They said they rented from from private and the person just showed up with it and never went over anything.

Mary2e: If you have trouble with something or need advice, check with other campers, they are more than ready to give you advice and help you.

Campers are generally a friendly bunch. However, we all do enjoy a good show when watching other back their trailers or motorhomes in spots multiple times. We are willing to help fix anything if we see someone with a problem and don't have a clue or even lending a tool. We will generally be ok with strangers walking past our site and asking questions about our particular trailer. Just ask if they have a few minutes first. Many RVers have no problem discussing their unit. Some people will even invite you in and offer you a beverage too. I always say if you don't know something find someone and ask.

I suspect the rental company sensed I was completely clueless as to how to handle the tanks, hence, he said that I could get a really good idea on how to manage them looking at a YouTube video. I'm sure he's going to walk us through it :)

This will be interesting, for sure :)

Oh, I agree campers are a friendly bunch. We've stayed at the cabins many times and noticed how much fun those in the RVs seemed to be having either by themselves, or with others. Given this is our first major trip with the new dog, we don't know how much we'll actually be getting away from FW, so we may be hanging around the fort - a lot :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter