watch when leaving your tip!

LuccaIgnatius

Earning My Ears
Hi!,
We just came home from a wonderful 10 days in Disney. We went to the Yachtsman Steak house and Biergarten for dinner. At Yachtsman we ordered just one meal, and ordered a side of the truffle mac and cheese. We were on the dining plan, so when our bill came we left 30.00 - 12.78 to cover the side of mac. and the remaining money(17.22) was for the tip. At the biergarten , we ordered one beer so we left 30.00 16 ish for the beer and the rest for the tip. Upon check out, those 2 restaurants kept all the cash for the tip, and charged to my credit card the amount for the mac/cheese and beer. Of course the Yacht Club fixed this situation and refunded my cash. The staff the the Yacht Club said this happens frequently. To me it seems perhaps the server is being cleaver and making their tip really big. If I wasn't a person that went over statements with a fine tooth comb, I could have missed this. Be careful, never leave cash on the table,for a tip plus money your owe, you may be surprised later.

They charged it to the CC you used to secure the reservation? Thanks for the head up!

Hi!,
We just came home from a wonderful 10 days in Disney. We went to the Yachtsman Steak house and Biergarten for dinner. At Yachtsman we ordered just one meal, and ordered a side of the truffle mac and cheese. We were on the dining plan, so when our bill came we left 30.00 - 12.78 to cover the side of mac. and the remaining money(17.22) was for the tip. At the biergarten , we ordered one beer so we left 30.00 16 ish for the beer and the rest for the tip. Upon check out, those 2 restaurants kept all the cash for the tip, and charged to my credit card the amount for the mac/cheese and beer. Of course the Yacht Club fixed this situation and refunded my cash. The staff the the Yacht Club said this happens frequently. To me it seems perhaps the server is being cleaver and making their tip really big. If I wasn't a person that went over statements with a fine tooth comb, I could have missed this. Be careful, never leave cash on the table,for a tip plus money your owe, you may be surprised later.

Understand completely what you 'meant', but really, how were they to know that part of it was for the tip and part for additional food order, unless you broke it down for them?? Usually, cash left is understood to be for tip!

Did you have a cc attached to your magic band? I'm wondering if this can only happen if you have a cc attached or if they can do it from the cc used to hold the adr?

when our bill came we left 30.00

so we left 30.00

Dining Plan diners get one zero dollar receipt for items covered by the credits, and a separate balance due receipt for any non-covered items. Typical action, even when in somewhat of a hurry as at a theme park, should be to pay any balance and wait for the receipt for the purchase. Or hand the folder to the server and state how funds need to be allocated.

Then there's no confusion on the server's end.

Dining Plan diners get one zero dollar receipt for items covered by the credits, and a separate balance due receipt for any non-covered items. Typical action, even when in somewhat of a hurry as at a theme park, should be to pay any balance and wait for the receipt for the purchase. Or hand the folder to the server and state how funds need to be allocated.

Then there's no confusion on the server's end.

I would disagree. In a cash-only transaction it is completely normal to put all the cash in (bill + tip) with the bill and hand it off to the waitstaff and leave. Most people do not wait for or ask for a receipt in this situation. My concern is how did the waitstaff get the CC info in this situation ... if they were only supposed to be scanning for dining plan credits?

Wait how would the CM have gotten your credit card? There is something much worse going on then just a misunderstanding. The only thing that could have happened is a CM pocketed all the money and then told the manager you didn't pay for the meal. A CM can not just charge your CC on file attached to a MB or Not as a pin code is required. Now if you taped your band and put in the pin and didn't realize the MB was for the DP plus the additional cost and never told them you wanted to pay the additional in cash then I could understand the miscommunication.

In any case if you want to pay your addition in cash and are on the dinning plan you must let your server know that! If not and you say something like oh I'll just pay with this or whatever they think you want to pay with the card on your MB. Either way wait for the receipt they bring back that you sign. You should always see what was charged and where.

Last edited:
wow, I am new to this site, shocked at all the replies. for starters, our magic bands which you can put charges on your room are attached to my credit card. for the comments about waiting to the server to return, that would add significant time to leaving, generally the servers are very busy and they don't always return in a timely fashion. We did this practice in all our sit down meals, only 2 servers charged my credit card , they other servers had the common sense to figure out what was their tip. My daughter was a server through high school and college, she agrees that this is common knowledge when money is left, after the money owed is paid the rest is the tip. Furthermore if the bill was 60.00 would you leave a 30.00 tip? that would be a tip of 50%, I doubt anyone of you leave a 50% tip. BTW... if your reservation is held with a credit card yes they can charge to that card for a no show or late cancellation.

wow, I am new to this site, shocked at all the replies. for starters, our magic bands which you can put charges on your room are attached to my credit card. for the comments about waiting to the server to return, that would add significant time to leaving, generally the servers are very busy and they don't always return in a timely fashion. We did this practice in all our sit down meals, only 2 servers charged my credit card , they other servers had the common sense to figure out what was their tip. My daughter was a server through high school and college, she agrees that this is common knowledge when money is left, after the money owed is paid the rest is the tip. Furthermore if the bill was 60.00 would you leave a 30.00 tip? that would be a tip of 50%, I doubt anyone of you leave a 50% tip. BTW... if your reservation is held with a credit card yes they can charge to that card for a no show or late cancellation.

I believe most of us were asking for clarification of what happened. A server can not charge whatever CC is on file at a whim. That's the protect the system sets. Managers are the only ones that can charge for no show and late cancellation and don't even see the CC information. All that will do is let them charge the 10 per a person if they chose to and nothing more.

The rest was how the transaction went down to help others. At any point when you present your magicband and enter the pin you should see what you are being charged. So yes if you don't tell the server the cash is to cover the extra and you just want to pay with dinning plan then they may assume you want to pay the extra on your MB as well since that is what you are presenting them. So in order to help others who may read your thread those of us who have been here a while are asking for clarification on how it went down.

wow, I am new to this site, shocked at all the replies. for starters, our magic bands which you can put charges on your room are attached to my credit card.

Yes but you have to put in a pin to authorize a charge to the card via the magic band. Are pins used for dining plan credits as well? I've never used the dining plan but it wasn't my impression this was the case.

Yes but you have to put in a pin to authorize a charge to the card via the magic band. Are pins used for dining plan credits as well? I've never used the dining plan but it wasn't my impression this was the case.
Yes, you have to use your pin for the dining plan credits

We are both drinkers and always pay our bar tab + tip the same way that OP did at every meal when on the DP. If our meal was $100 and we spent $30 on drinks we'd leave $56 ($30 for the drinks and a $26 tip) in cash on the table and leave. Fortunately, we've never had a problem. I'll be on the DP in September so thank you for letting everyone know that this could be an issue. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my receipts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!