Watching a 2yr. old

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
Our extended family will be in WDW with my DGS2. The big “kids” want to ride some of the attractions that he cannot ride yet. Since I am the one who generally passes on those rides, I will be watching him much of the time. Where are some of the best places that will entertain him in AK, EP and HS to “pass time” while his parents (and others) ride the more intense ones? I don’t necessarily want to take him to the other side of the parks for an age specific attraction while we wait, but he is a very active child so sitting in the stroller looking around will only last a short time! :yay:
Thanks tons!

At AK -Around Expedition Everest - look at the monkeys, you can walk around the area to see them. You can go over to Kali and squirt the water guns at people on the ride too. Pandora has drums, Dinosaur has the boneyard playground.

EPCOT - they used to have a play area inside Mission Space. Test Track has stuff to do after the ride, just go in the gift shop and walk to where the cars are.

Not sure about HS, so much has been gutted since we were there last.

AK - The Boneyard is a super nice play area located near Dino Land
Epcot - Aquarium area in the Seas pavilion, play area at the end of Mission Space
HS - the new Lightning McQueen show has a dance party area outside and you can "meet" one of the cars

We’ve taken turns waiting with littles on every trip :). Honestly, if the riders have FPs, IMO the wait is short enough that it’s nice to just find a spot in the shade nearby and share a little snack or just decompress for a few minutes. I don’t think we’ve ever left the immediate vicinity of the ride, except perhaps once to just stroll around for a few minutes.

An exception might be the Boneyard Graveyard in AK, if the adults are doing Dinosaur, as that’s super easy and somewhere the younger could spend some additional time even after the adults rejoin you.

As others have mentioned Boneyard at AK is great. My kids loved that place when they were little. We spent a great deal of time there with them on multiple trips. When we walked by it last time, our oldest said that place was so much fun. If you don't mind your toddler getting wet, there's a water spot by the Circus tent area in MK. My kids still like going there to cool off from the summer heat.

We just became grandparents about 7 mo ago. Aiming to bring Destiny (and her parents) NEXT november (2020). Any suggestions for the Grands and a 22 month old, for rides?

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! We will definitely check out the Boneyard at AK!

There are lots of rides in MK for little ones! We took DGS when he was 1 to Disneyland and found plenty! Dumbo, It’s a Small World, Tea Cups, Peter Pan, the Carousel. Meeting characters was even fun for him at 1, but by 2 they can have some additional fears, so you will have to test that one. Also one thing I remember when I took my own son at 2 1/2 was the fear of the “dark” rides. Even though they were very tame, he was afraid of the dark, so they became scary. To be honest, just the sights and sounds entertain little ones! Enjoy!!

The easiest way for me to entertain my toddler last year was just to get one of those annoying bubble wands and let her play with it while we waited for the others to return. She never got tired of it! We seemed to attract a tiny little crowd of random bubble dancers every time too! Poor parents trying to hurry to the next ride having to stop while their little one ran through the bubble cloud. It was adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!