Watching HEA from outside the park- should I watch it on video first?

singingpixie

<font color=deeppink>Baby Donor<br><font color=blu
I'm taking a very short solo trip, with only 2 park days and one outside the parks. Since Epcot and Animal Kingdom will take up my evenings (both places I'd like to take my time to explore without other people to keep happy!), I'm planning to have dinner at the California Grill lounge and watch HEA from there on my non-park day.

I know I'll lose all the projections from outside the park, and I'm ok with that. But if I won't be seeing it for the first time in the park, should I watch video of the show with projections ahead of time so I can get an idea of the story? Or will I be ok saving it to see in person, even if I'm relying on just the pyro and soundtrack?

I think you’d be fine either way, but if you want to see the projections watching a video beforehand is a great idea.

I'm taking a very short solo trip, with only 2 park days and one outside the parks. Since Epcot and Animal Kingdom will take up my evenings (both places I'd like to take my time to explore without other people to keep happy!), I'm planning to have dinner at the California Grill lounge and watch HEA from there on my non-park day.

I know I'll lose all the projections from outside the park, and I'm ok with that. But if I won't be seeing it for the first time in the park, should I watch video of the show with projections ahead of time so I can get an idea of the story? Or will I be ok saving it to see in person, even if I'm relying on just the pyro and soundtrack?

I watched HEA last week for the first time from a great spot inside the MK Hub.
Frankly, I don't remember much of a "story."
Seeing the images on the castle is a great "plus," but the show should be enjoyable with just the fireworks and soundtrack, too.

Last edited:
California grill to me was much better then in the park for me.

The soundtrack was much louder. You pay attention to the awe of the fireworks instead of the projections. It was 10x more emotional for me seeing it from there then in the park

That’s just me though.

I wouldn’t watch it on video, but I don’t really like to watch ride videos, show videos, etc before I’ve seen something in person. Don’t like the spoilers.

I am in the camp that think the out of park viewing of HEA is quality entertainment. Sure you miss the projections and maybe there are a few weird pauses here and there, but there is abundant (and interesting) small and large pyro and the viewing from a place like CG is great.

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I agree that I generally like to avoid spoilers, which is why I asked. I didn't want to be lost but as long as I won't be hopelessly lost without the projections, I'll skip it and enjoy the show for the first time from the CG.

OP The story to me is told more through the music than the projections. Sure they help but if you listen to the lyrics the story becomes very clear.
It's your traditional story of making a wish and seeing it all the way through until you achieve it, thus creating for yourself your happily ever after.
I've broken down all segments for people that say there isn't a story but don't share that here since you don't want any spoilers, unless you don't mind them I'll be happy to share

I'm not sure I would call it a story. The music and fireworks are very good. I think it is the castle projections that really set it apart. Unfortunately you can only see those from inside the park around Main Street.

I've watched HEA many times from just about everywhere and the least enjoyable for me was from the California Grill. They're too far away, and the projections are not visible. Some of the fireworks are shot off close to the castle and some are shot off from way behind the castle, and because you're viewing from the side, and as shown in the photo, the overall effect is disjointed. Watching HEA from the Hub is for me the best option.

enhance

I've watched HEA many times from just about everywhere and the least enjoyable for me was from the California Grill. They're too far away, and the projections are not visible. Some of the fireworks are shot off close to the castle and some are shot off from way behind the castle, and because you're viewing from the side, and as shown in the photo, the overall effect is disjointed. Watching HEA from the Hub is for me the best option.

enhance

I've seen Wishes from up there, so I know what I'm getting angle-wise... and honestly I love the less-crowded, birds-eye fireworks view. Like I said in my OP, this is a really short trip and I am having to prioritize some things over others since I'll only be in the parks for two days. I'll be glad to get a taste of HEA from outside the park and will look forward to the full experience from the hub on a future trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter