Water Park near Disneyland in CA?

Lisa P.

Peaceful, Worshipful, Joyful
I've heard a rumor that Disney is planning to build a water park near Disneyland CA. Has anyone read or heard anything more about this?

Are there any water parks near DL already? Where? Thanks in advance. :)

Disney has supposedly been planning a 3rd park since before DCA opened. Haven't heard much about it lately or whether it is expected to be a water park or not. Here's a decent summary of the related news articles, none of them very recent:

http://www.dcacentral.com/dca/dl_resort/third_park.asp

The nearest water park to DL is Wild Rivers in Irvine. It's a straight shot down I-5, about 15 miles or so. There are several others around the LA area, but much further away. For those going to Magic Mountain, they have a separate water park across the street.

I read somwhere that they were infact planning on building a 3rd park and it was to be a water park. I will have to search for it. I think it is on talkdisney.com somewhere. . .

Actually the CLOSEST water park is Soak City, right across from Knott's Berry Farm. It's just a few miles from Disneyland.

Soak City

I've never been so I don't know how good it is or how crowded it gets, but it's close enough that if you didn't like it you could get back to Disneyland pretty quickly. :)

Pre-DCA (during construction) they were boasting about opening a "3rd gate" (i.e. 3rd park) at DLR. They even bought a HUGE strawberry farm so they could bulldoze the strawberries for this 3rd park. I remember responding to a survey from Imagineering about interest in a 3rd park. This was all based on their rosy projections for DCA (and thoughts that they'd have enough $$ to pay for said 3rd park).

Newest rumor I've heard is that now instead of a water park (or possibly as a water park theme) they might be putting in a Dinoland (ugh!!) to appeal to the kids.

I have heard the rumor about the water park too. I am one of those who wants to hear it straight from the horses mouth before I get too excited about anything.

I am still waiting for the official word on Pooh Bear :)

There is also Raging Waters that is right up the 57.

The third park is still being decided on, there have even been plans of forgoing a third park, and just building a fourth disney hotel, but we won't know until it is official. Right now the resort is working on our version of Tower of Terror, Flick's Fantasy, and re-vamps for Disneyland's 50th anniversary (flaming pirate skulls anyone?) We'll see what happens.
Right now, Soak City USA owned and operated by Cedar Faire, but under the title of Knott's is the closest water park to Disneyland (less than 15 minutes) and Travel channel rated it the 6th best water park in the country.
A little bit further away in San Dimas, we have the third rated water park in the country, in Raging Waters. It ranked behind Disney World's great water parks, and it has a great laid back So. Cal. feel.

Anywhoo, have fun no matter what you do.
Toodles
~Tina

Ok, Tinagirl you seem to be so much more in the know about DL than others ... is Millionaire at DCA on the chopping block???

I doubt it.
DCA has so many Addons & refurbs coming up, that I don't see why they would "chop" a show that consistently fills 3/4ths of capacity and keeps folks entertained for about half an hour. They will be using funds on Flik/TOT as I noted before, as well as a New Show in the Hyperion come November (as Blast's run is over on Labor Day) {This show is most likely an Aladdin themed stage show} as well as a refurb/change to Superstar Limo. (note: Cm's confirm this but Disney brass has yet to make it official...in fact they may not make it official until Goofy has been added, and the attraction morphs...especially if they don't plan on changing the name, but just dropping the word "Goofy's" before it.

I'll keep my ear to the ground, and if I hear any solid stuff about Millionaire I'll pass it on. Also, you may want to check out www.intercotwest.com for latest DCA news and rumors.

I wish you the best, and I hope you get to a million points and win a trip to New York. ;P

All my best
~Tina

Thank you all very much for your insights! :)

We own timeshare points with Fairfield Communities, which manages a timeshare resort apparently bordering land owned by Disney. It's Dolphin's Cove Resort on W. Orangewood, near Harbor Blvd.

Some other Fairfield owners have been told by Dolphin's Cove sales reps that Disney may develop the fields next door to this resort. We hope to use our timeshare ownership to make a trip out there in the next year or so, and perhaps again, a few years later. So I wondered about all this. :) Most interesting. Thanks again!

Tinagirl, I'm curious about the ratings for waterparks that you mentioned. Who did these ratings?

The 4 closest water parks are Soak city, Wild Rivers, raging waters, and Huricane Harbor. I've been to the first 3 in the past 3 years (we alternat one park per year). They've all got a lazy river, tube rides, and speed slides, and a children's area, and wave pool. We brought our daughter the last 2 years (1 1/2 to soak city, and 2 1/2 to wild rivers) for a half day, and she had lots of fun at both. I'm more into the tube rides so can't tell you much about the other rides. Wild River's has a surfing pool also.

Donna

Thanks for the link tinagirl. Frankly, I was a little surprised to see no mention of Schlitterbahn being at the top since we're big fans. But I'm pleased to see it right where it belongs. :D

I appreciate all of this waterpark info. DS was just asking the other day about the possibility of visiting a waterpark while we're in California and now I know where to take him! :)

Just so you know, if you go to Raging Waters in San Dimas don't be afraid of wipeout. It is one of the best "speed" slides I've ever been on, just remember to keep your elbows tucked in so that you don't get elbow burn from the sides of the slide.
All my best
~Tina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter