Water Park vs Disney Springs

Erik the Red

Mouseketeer
Which would you choose as your non-park day activity?

Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon? or Disney Springs? And why?

You would be spending the evening at either AK/EP/MK/HS so afternoon at the water park and evening at Disney Springs is not an option.

And go .......

Last edited:
Water park. Floating in the lazy river is more relaxing than walking around DS. And it gives your feet a break.

I'd choose a water park, definitely. Disney Springs is really just shopping and restaurants. If that's what you're interested in, DS can be fun. But not for an all-day activity, at least for me.

However, if you're going at a time of year when water parks might not be an option due to the weather, Disney springs might be a good option. In the colder months like January, you might have a day that's warm enough for a water park, but if you have a cold snap, you might not want to go to a water park.

For me the water park wins, but I am not much of a shopper, so others may feel differently.

Water park. To be fair, I am not really a shopper. So the decision to go around and look at things while I'm sweating in the sun, or float in the lazy river and do some water slides is easy. I think my SIL literally comes to Disney to shop. We have never travelled together.

I would pick Typhoon Lagoon, have some fun, relax and eat a nice lunch. You can shop online for anything at Disney Springs.

Water Park. I'm not a shopper. Disney Springs has no appeal for me at all.

That's interesting so far. I've read a lot of threads where people really like going to Disney Springs.

Is it really just a glorified shopping mall?

I would prefer DS....I'm not much for water parks....water parks don't sound relaxing to me

I would also ask when you are going. If you're going to be there during the summer or September, I would probably say a water park due to the extreme heat. I'm sure it would feel refreshing.

I very much enjoy Disney Springs, though. I do enjoy shopping and eating at really good restaurants! Some of the restaurants are experiences in themselves and excellently themed. But there is more to do there than shop and eat. If you are a Star Wars fan, you could check out The Void - it's a VR adventure that I am SO excited to try in a couple weeks. There's also a movie theater and bowling. I'm sure there is more to do than I am thinking of as well.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way!

You would be spending the evening at either AK/EP/MK/HS so afternoon at the water park and evening at Disney Springs is not an option.

And go .......

The Disney Water Parks are often rated as top 5 water parks in the US.

Many major cities have areas like Disney Springs with many of the same chain stores.

I think the Disney water parks are more unique experiences that I can't have somewhere else.

But it depends on your preferences. If you live in an area with out high quality shopping and you don't like playing in the water, go to Disney Springs.

Also Disney Springs is free, if you don't buy anything. The water parks require a ticket or park hopper plus.

Last edited:
That's interesting so far. I've read a lot of threads where people really like going to Disney Springs.

Yes it is. There are activities like movie theater, bowling, etc...but what you would find in a typical mall complex. It becomes a destination because people don't want to go to a park for whatever reason. There are a lot of restaurants if looking for something different to eat.
A couple not so common activities like The Void, but not many especially since Disney Quest was closed. It's a place designed to get you to spend money (Like most of Disney...but the actual activity there is spending money)
Some people enjoy shopping.. but it's not the same as doing an actual activity like a water park. They are 2 separate mind sets of how to spend your time, the choice is determined by what you would rather do...not something others can tell you which to pick.

And go .......

Yes, DS is a glorified shopping mall. However, the addition of The Void, makes it a little more appealing, IMHO. If you like Star Wars, it's an unbelievable experience. If you have no interest in Star Wars VR or shopping, I would do the water park!

Yes.

That's not a knock on it, I love Disney Springs. But it is what it is, it's Disney's take on a shopping mall. Tons of restaurants/bars and such too. We enjoy it, but if I could only pick one it would be a water park hands down.

Personally, I would do both. Hit the water park early in the day, come back for a short nap then hit DS in the late afternoon/ early evening. Between the VOID, bowling at Splitsville, catching a movie, window shopping, doing a progressive meal at several of the unique restaurants/bars with some apps and drinks and watching some of the musical entertainment DS has to offer it would be a great day.

Water Park for sure. Disney has the cleanest, well themed and fun WP's in the country. Every time we go up to the Dells to Noah's Ark I am reminded how awesome Disney WP's are and others are not.

Personally, I would do both. Hit the water park early in the day, come back for a short nap then hit DS in the late afternoon/ early evening. Between the VOID, bowling at Splitsville, catching a movie, window shopping, doing a progressive meal at several of the unique restaurants/bars with some apps and drinks and watching some of the musical entertainment DS has to offer it would be a great day.

And go .......

And go .......
Depends. How long are you going? When? With kids? On site or off site? I personally love Typhoon Lagoon and we had a great time last summer. We used it for our non-park day and then went back to the resort (AKL) for an early dinner. I'm not a huge fan of Disney Springs because it's mostly shopping. I know there are great restaurants (we love Raglan Road), but unless I'm staying at Port Orleans, it seems like a waste of a down day. I ask how long because even though I adored TL, part of me wishes we just had a full resort day to relax. We were there for a week last summer and could have used a full down day at the resort in retrospect. I found the waterpark a little tiring and we all felt wiped out afterwards. We all also got a little sunburnt. EDITED TO ADD: Re-read your original post. I definitely would have felt too tired to have gone to a park in the evening after TL last summer. Maybe it's just my family, but it seems too much to do both, at least in the summer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter