Water Shoes at Discovery Cove?

nancyjo1998

DIS Veteran
Are water shoes needed to walk around Discovery Cove? Do the walk ways get overly hot? If we wear water shoes are they allowed in the dolphin swim area? TIA

They are a good idea for the lazy river if nothing else. It has a rough bottom and the depth changes frequently and drastically.

I can't remember if I wore them in the dolphin pool or not.

I wore them all day. The bottom of the dolphin swim was rocky I remember, also +1 for the not-so-lazy river, there are some rough spots.

I Love Discovery Cove( going back this march). But after my first experience, I recommend water shoes at least for the lazy river. The lazy river has a realistic feel and the water is very rocky. The depth of the water also changes very quickly. The depth can drop from 6ft to 3ft in a matter of feet. I personally stubbed my toe very badly on one of the rocks and it required attention from the medic. Before I went I read the reports but thought it couldn't be as bad. To be safe bring water shoes.

You are going to have a blast!

If I'm not mistaken,I think Discovery Cove recommends water shoes. And I'm pretty sure they are required for Sea Venture. So (if you haven't already concluded from all the above responses) YES! Bring them. Wear them. And if you don't need them/want them somewhere, put them in your locker!

Been about 6 times. First time we forgot ours so I bought super cheap ones at tourist store. When we got to DC they had their own for sale very reasonable so I bought them. We actually still have those about 10 years later while all others have come and gone to the trash.

The snorkeling coves are full of rough rock and coral type stuff as well. DS and I wear them all day long. We did Dolphin Swim once and were allowed to wear. Other trips were resort only but we were in the water lots to snorkel or "lazy" river so they are a must for us.

Another vote for water shoes. I have a pair that I bought from DC over 15 years ago that cost the same as other ones I have had that have since gone into the trash.

I know you can get into the park well before you are actually able to get into the water. Is the store open early for me to buy water shoes or should I bring my own to avoid wasting valuable swim time?

I know you can get into the park well before you are actually able to get into the water. Is the store open early for me to buy water shoes or should I bring my own to avoid wasting valuable swim time?

Pretty sure both stores are open early. Water shoes are much cheaper at Walmart, though, then they are at DC. You'll be paying $20 a pair at Discovery Cove while we picked up decent quality water shoes at Walmart in advance of our trip for $6.88 each (and DH's in a size 15, no less!). I'd bring your own if you can.

Pretty sure both stores are open early. Water shoes are much cheaper at Walmart, though, then they are at DC. You'll be paying $20 a pair at Discovery Cove while we picked up decent quality water shoes at Walmart in advance of our trip for $6.88 each (and DH's in a size 15, no less!). I'd bring your own if you can.

Thank you. I don't like the uncertainty of having my size either so buying ahead of time is a better option for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter