Water Temp end of Feb

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at doing a 3 day on the Dream Feb 28, 2020. Accuweather says historically it's been in the high 70s to low 80s that time of year.

How is the temperature of the water on Castaway Cay then? My kids love the beach!

We've been to CC 3 times in early March. Each time I found the water to be chilly. My dd thought the water was chilly also, but she still jumped right into it. We also have been there in Jan, I don't find the water any warmer in March than it is in Jan. Air temps are great though, especially for enjoying time on a chair with a refreshing drink.

We've been to CC in early February and it was definitely warm enough for us to swim. As with most things cruise-related, though, YMMV. No guarantees with the weather especially. That being said, it hasn't stopped us yet and we are looking at booking again for this January!

I think it depends on your tolerance level for cold. You're going to find just as many people saying it's chilly and depends on the weather as people who find the temperature fine. It will always be pretty though!

My family went in early February 2 years ago, my husband and daughters got right in and didn't mind at all. I waited until the after noon when the air temps felt like 90°s and the water was a welcome refreshment. FWIW I don't usually get in our pool at home unless the water temp is at least 80°

people from Minnesota often think the water is warm in Feb

while people from south Florida think they are nuts

ditto a west coast difference cuz the Pacific in general just doesn't get as warm as the Atlantic (in coastal US areas)

I won't even THINK about getting in the pool when the water is below 80 and I prefer 85 and up .... up north the lakes NEVER get that warm . . .

My Minn' relatives visit in March for kids spring break and they all jump in the pool which has water temps between 75 and 80 depending on the sun (solar heater) and frankly I think they act like perfect tourists! (live near Cape Canaveral)

In Feb typical surf temps around here are low 70's at best (surfers usually wear wet suits) .... for reference CC (or Gorda Cay) is about the same latitude as Ft Lauderdale / Port Everglades and similar water temps can be expected due to Gulf Stream influences

Last edited:
people from Minnesota often think the water is warm in Feb

while people from south Florida think they are nuts

That really varies.

For my cousins' first cruise (they have been in FL for so much of their lives they might as well be natives) there was a nasty cold snap that mid-February, and they couldn't enjoy any part of Castaway. But then no one could. My family was in Orlando at the time, and we're from (well, I've been here since I was 17) WA, and my now-ex woudln't even put on long pants until it hit 32 degrees at home, and we were FREEZING.

The following year at the same time of year we all went on a cruise together. The weather was lovely. Beautiful. No cold snap. Just nice typical February weather. And the water felt WONDEFUL. Didn't feel cold at all. Even the little cousins, who ARE florida natives, spent all day in the water.

My family went again that october, and the air was so much warmer that the water, which I'm sure was warmer than it had been in February, felt *colder* to us. Even my son barely spent time in the water b/c the difference between air and water was so extreme.

So it really depends! :)

That really varies.

For my cousins' first cruise (they have been in FL for so much of their lives they might as well be natives) there was a nasty cold snap that mid-February, and they couldn't enjoy any part of Castaway. But then no one could. My family was in Orlando at the time, and we're from (well, I've been here since I was 17) WA, and my now-ex woudln't even put on long pants until it hit 32 degrees at home, and we were FREEZING.

The following year at the same time of year we all went on a cruise together. The weather was lovely. Beautiful. No cold snap. Just nice typical February weather. And the water felt WONDEFUL. Didn't feel cold at all. Even the little cousins, who ARE florida natives, spent all day in the water.

My family went again that october, and the air was so much warmer that the water, which I'm sure was warmer than it had been in February, felt *colder* to us. Even my son barely spent time in the water b/c the difference between air and water was so extreme.

So it really depends! :)

Florida cold always feels colder than cold almost anywhere else. I agree 100%.

We are going in Jan. When I searched I found that historically the water temp low is around 70 degrees, high was around 77 degrees.

That is plenty warm enough for my New Jersey-based family. We swim in the 60's for most of the summer.

We live in Michigan. In the summer, we are ecstatic when Lake Michigan hits 70 degrees - everyone is in the water! When/if it hots 75 degrees, it is absolutely glorious. BUT I struggle to get in our swimming pool if it is less than 80-82 degrees and have yet to be able to plunge into the water at Castaway Cay without having to tip-toe in gradually (sometimes it just seems too cold for me).

Last edited:
freeport+climate.jpg

It'll depend on if there is a cold front going through or not. I sailed in December twice and one was freezing and one was really nice weather. I haven't sailed in February so not sure how the weather will be, but I live in Florida and here during that month it can be hot or ice cold so its hard to predict. The farther out you go into the Caribbean the warmer the waters will be.

My family was at CC in the first week of February this year. We were fine with the water for swimming, Pelican Plunge, snorkeling, and I went jetskiing. However, we are also from Canada, so water above 70F will always be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter