Waterfalls

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I am in pre Planning for a possible trip to Aulani in June 2022 for my 40th bday. It will be our first trip to Hawaii. Family of 5, kids will be 17,7,5.
One thing I know my husband will like it seeing waterfall and bonus points if you can swim at the bottom. Any recommendations? I’m not a huge outdoor person and it gives me anxiety to watch the little kids around dangerous slopes and cliffs so easy hikes are preferred.
I am planning a few days(5-6) in Aulani and maybe a few 2-3 days in either Waikiki or Turtle bay.
Thanks in advance.

We stayed at Aulani for 3 nights, Waikiki Beach for 3, and Turtle Bay Resort for 2. I loved them all! We swam in the Waimea Falls while visiting Turtle Bay. The waterfall was low that day, but I loved swimming there. My husband recognized it from the first season of Lost. It was an easy walk from the entrance, but they were shuttling people each way for $10 a person each way. We really enjoyed the walk.

Here's a pic from our 2nd trip there. It had a pretty good flow that day! Keep in mind that swimming in fresh water can be dangerous in Hawaii (well, in most warmer climates really).

We also did Waimea Valley and personally, didn't think it was anything to write home about. Admission is $16 per person. Its a walk on a paved trail (not a hike) to the end where the waterfall is. As mentioned, you can swim there but its deep and life vests are required, which they provide. There is also an outdoor make-shift (think plywood) changing area if needed. I have heard that the water here is full of bacteria and very cold, but it doesn't seem to stop people. Its convenient from Turtle Bay, or even from Haleiwa if you're spending a day at the North Shore.

Thank you all for the pics. They look beautiful.I looked into it and saw how many mention of leptospirosis or something. I am the least adventerous person ever so I would have a hard time letting my kids go in. Dh would jump right in. Maybe I’d be better off not mentioning people go in so we don’t bring swimsuits.

Last edited:
This was one of the few places that I did not research beforehand and was taken to by a local. Leptospriosis sounds horrible, and glad that no one in our party got ill at all. I did not even think about bacteria.

Yikes. Note to self: no swimming at the waterfalls during our Oahu trip. :crazy2:
Yikes. Note to self: no swimming at the waterfalls during our Oahu trip. :crazy2:
Where's Pete?

"Stay outa the ….."

It true for both Florida and Hawaii!

-Paul
Exactly. After reading about this in travel books and online, we didn’t swim in ANY waterfalls and I was looking forward to that. Just couldn’t bring myself to let my kids in there.

Best Waterfalls are on the Big Island - Instead of Waikiki, you should hop over the the BI and stay in Hilo and go see the different Falls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!