Waving Goodbye To My 20s - Aulani Trip Report - Update 9/25 Going Home (The End)

Anxiety Attack

As we left the movie theater, it should have been a very quick 5 minute drive back to Aulani. Well, our time was eaten into. There was a bad accident that caused our 5 minute drive to turn into 30 to 40 minutes.

Once we got back to the hotel, we picked up our luggage from Bell Services and headed to the restrooms to change into ‘comfy’ plane clothes and double check the weight of our suitcases (one was over but the other wasn’t so we just had to move stuff around) I also took a sink shower to feel as refreshed as possible before the long flight home.

We headed back to the car and loaded up the trunk. My husband and I were talking and then I realized I was hot and didn’t want to wear my jacket yet that I had for the plane so I threw it in the trunk as well and closed it.

We go to try to get into the car…

We realize we don’t have the keys. I mean obviously we had them since we were able to get our items into the trunk. I searched my purse and pockets feveriously and started racking my brain. It didn’t take me long to realize I locked the key in the trunk of the car.

My husband just gave me this look like, “what?” but I think he realized that yelling wouldn’t help the situation. I knew that break in kits exist and that sometimes valets or rental car places on site may have one. As our time to get to the airport was being eaten into, I ran to the valet station and asked for help. I fully admit I was holding back tears as I freaked out a bit. The valet at the stand told me to wait for their lead valet to see if they had something.

Apparently their electronic kit broke a few weeks prior but they had the old fashion unlocking stick. I waited until the valet was free to come with me to the car.

V8SuC6r.jpg

Aulani Helping

He couldn’t get it to work and even called his valet that used to work as a mechanic to help but it didn’t unlock. The unlocking stick items don’t work on the newer vehicles (those darn safety features!!)

The valet suggested calling Pop A Lock to assist. I was given a 45 minute time frame.

I think I went through a lot of emotions in those 45 minutes including stress, crying and yelling at myself for being stupid.

When the 55 minute mark passed, I called Pop-A-Lock back and they found out where the guy was located. He wasn’t far away now at least and a couple minutes later, he pulled into the garage and arrived.

It took him all of 5 minutes to unlock the car...

fnsfJW5.jpg

Pop A Lock

We paid the money for his help. I don’t remember exactly how much it was at this point - I know it was less than $100. I remember thinking this was really cheap versus what I thought it was going to be and that it is way easier to break into a car than I thought it would be when you watched him work. I was really thankful for their help!​

OMG! I would have been an absolute basket case! So glad that you got it all worked out. That must have been just awful. That's one of the reasons we don't do much on the days that we have to fly. I'm always afraid of not getting to the airport on time.

I'm anxious for you... and whenever we rent a car, I am always checking with DH to make sure he's got the keys in his hand before we close all the doors. And with these newer cars with their push-button starts and such, I'm even more anxious about locking ourselves out.

oh my gosh I would have freaked out locking the keys in the car! I have been enjoying your trip report so much and getting ideas on where to eat they all look so good! We leave in 5 days for Oahu! I'm so looking forward to your food and wine reviews,I wish we were going this year but Hawaii is the next best thing! So this year I will just live vicariously through reviews.

Oh my! I was anxious just reading that! Totally something I'd probably do though! Props to your hubby for keeping his cool!

OMG! I would have been an absolute basket case! So glad that you got it all worked out. That must have been just awful. That's one of the reasons we don't do much on the days that we have to fly. I'm always afraid of not getting to the airport on time.

Oh - I did go basket case but I had to reign it in as there were problems to solve first. I like getting to the airport early too! It makes me feel safer and less anxious. Its why we purposely went to the movies as we didn't want to do something risky and miss the flight. I had like 4.5 hours of time to get us to the airport after the end of the movie which should be more than enough time!

I'm anxious for you... and whenever we rent a car, I am always checking with DH to make sure he's got the keys in his hand before we close all the doors. And with these newer cars with their push-button starts and such, I'm even more anxious about locking ourselves out.

Oh I love the push buttons that have the keyless entry. At home this is such a nonissue for us as my keys never leave my purse! I can open and lock both our cars without it as long as the key is in my purse - which is something I would never leave in a trunk!

Yikes. I would have been flipping out.

I did flip out but I internalized it more. During my freakout session - I also started looking what our flight options leaving would be if we miss our flight. That helped a bit but not enough.

oh my gosh I would have freaked out locking the keys in the car! I have been enjoying your trip report so much and getting ideas on where to eat they all look so good! We leave in 5 days for Oahu! I'm so looking forward to your food and wine reviews,I wish we were going this year but Hawaii is the next best thing! So this year I will just live vicariously through reviews.

Have so much fun in Oahu! Going to Hawaii rather than Food & Wine seems like an excellent option! I don't think we're doing Food & Wine in 2017 because of Italy but I'm ok with that option as well :)

Oh my! I was anxious just reading that! Totally something I'd probably do though! Props to your hubby for keeping his cool!

I got anxious writing that section. I was not a happy camper during it. I remember posted my freakout on facebook during this and was totally in tears during it.

Oh my stars! Not a fun way to end vacation! I would have been hysterical.

For as amazing as this vacation was, it was too good to be true to not have some issue come through. I just had to end it on this type of note!

Oh my-I would have been totally freaking out! Poor Dis_Yoda!!!

I know right! I mean, this vacation was so awesome and relaxing that we end it so stressful! I mean, my sink bath was pretty much ruined with this waiting around.

Do We Make It?

Finally, back in the car. We booked it. It was already past 6:00PM. I admit I was speeding but I wasn’t comfortable in our timing to allow for ourselves to get off the H1 to get gas in the car and decided to just pay for the overpriced gas from Avis. We got in just past 6:30PM and luckily there wasn’t a line for turn in and it wasn’t too much extra for having to pay them for gas ($38 versus $20 it would have been otherwise)

As Avis is located at the terminal, we were able to get across the street to the terminal, through agriculture check and checked in for our luggage.

By the time, we got through all that, I admit I was still feeling anxious and wired up.

As we hurried to our gate, I had to stop for something to calm me down if I wanted any hope to sleep on that plane!

My husband laughed at me and the bartender just thought I was an anxious flyer when I got a double shot of Jack Daniels.

We pretty much got to the gate and boarding started for pre-boarding and First Class. We were called not long after. We had the bulkhead exit row seats for this flight which was fine for us!

4KcXHDU.jpg

Flight Path

Once we were in the air, they fed us rather quickly. The turkey wrap was fine. As we didn’t get time to stop for real food at the airport, it did the job to make sure I had something in my stomach.

2saGO1g.jpg

Turkey Wrap

Once fed, I proceeded to sleep in and out for most of the flight over to Dallas.​

Wow, what a stressful last day. I think we've all done something like that at least once in our lives and it inevitably never happens at the "right" time. Glad you made it though and of course I totally love the jack at the end ; )

Wow, what a stressful last day. I think we've all done something like that at least once in our lives and it inevitably never happens at the "right" time. Glad you made it though and of course I totally love the jack at the end ; )

It did turn out to be a stressful last day for the 2nd half! It does happen though! I'm glad we made it through and didn't have to pay for other tickets out! That jack totally made me calm down. I like my whiskey :)

Saturday Travels

Normally, I would be happy about landing at an airport 30 minutes early. When it is the very rare time I have a long layover, I’m not. We ended up having over 4 hours to kill at the Dallas Airport. When we deplaned from our eventless flight, calmed from the craziness from the day before, we got off at Terminal C to see where our plane may be. It was too far away to be on the list that the plane listed on the screen in front of us.

We wandered until we got to the larger list and learned that our next plane was currently planned to be in terminal D. We took a pitstop at the restrooms and then took the tram to the Terminal. I fully admit we were super slow when it came to walking there but we had time to kill anyway.

Z3Fm8x3.jpg

We got to the initial gate that the screens had told us it would be. My husband just wanted to sit down and do nothing. I had broken a nail the day before so I decided to give XpressSpa a shot and get my nails redone as we had ample time to kill. My husband said that after I was done with my nails to get him something for breakfast that was relatively simple since I know what he likes.

LPjbV0O.jpg

My nail service at the XpressSpa was just ok. The technician didn’t do the best job, especially not when considering it was $75 for a gel polish manicure. I knew it was going to be overpriced in an airport but it was overpriced for even someone that lives in a wealthy tourist town!

Afterwards, I got my husband an egg and cheese croissant and a coke zero and headed back to the gate. He told me he thinks our gate may have changed but wasn’t sure and since I didn’t feel like sitting down yet, I walked back to a huge screen of departures and found out that it did indeed move but at least only a few gates over in the same terminal. We moved and settled in for a bit. Eventually, I decided I should get something to eat before our flight home since it would be later when we did get home. I got a pretzel and strawberry lemonade from Auntie Anne’s.

E72Vs6K.jpg

Possible TMI story below in the spoiler tags:

Since Pokemon Go came out on the second half of our trip, my husband became more than obsessed with the game. As you have probably read, he was playing it throughout Oahu. This didn’t change at the Airport. His group of friends were also super obsessed as well.

As we were waiting for the plane, my husband wandered off to walk and use the restroom. When he returns, he looks at me with a very serious face and said “I’ve been playing too much Pokemon Go”

I ask “Why?

He replies, “A Pokemon bit my butt” dead serious.

I probably gave him the strangest look I have given him in the longest time...and he finally cracks and grosses himself out and says that a roach fell on his butt while he was in there.

I felt so skiveed out and then just couldn’t stop laughing.

So there is my warning story for people that become too obsessed with Pokemon Go

XMzTO18.jpg

Don’t I look tired here? So ready go home!

Our flight to Fort Myers took off right on time and landed as planned. Luggage took a bit to get out but we survived.

We picked up dinner at Panera on the way home as we both just wanted salads and it was the easiest option with the least amount of effort.

And thus concludes our first trip to Oahu! Hope you enjoyed the adventure :)

And now this trip report is done, you can follow my Food & Wine Festival Trips for 2016 here:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/i-...-shouldnt-2-food-wine-festival-trips.3549889/

I'm glad you all made it home safely, but two things made me go :eek:

That roach story is NASTY!!!!

But $75 for a gel manicure? :faint:

Do you have an American Express card? One of the lovely things about DFW is they have a lounge for AMEX card holders where they serve complimentary food, there is a bar. They have a quiet workroom and I think the restrooms even have showers. We've gone there when we have over 2 hours for a layover.

I'm glad you all made it home safely, but two things made me go :eek:

That roach story is NASTY!!!!

But $75 for a gel manicure? :faint:

Do you have an American Express card? One of the lovely things about DFW is they have a lounge for AMEX card holders where they serve complimentary food, there is a bar. They have a quiet workroom and I think the restrooms even have showers. We've gone there when we have over 2 hours for a layover.

There was a reason I put it behind Spoiler Tags and said it was probably TMI ;) It is a Nasty Story that also became really funny mainly because of my husband's response to it all and his own comments. IF something like that had happened to me - I would have screamed but never told another soul.

And yes - $75! I realize it was airport inflated prices but still!

I do have American Express but I don't have a Platinum Card or Centurion Card so I'm not eligible for the lounge :( I'm just a normal lowly American Express Blue Cash Everyday Rewards Member. I should probably look into upgrading but I'm trying to not add to my potential credit card debt/spending limits as I do already have a Platinum/Signature/Whatever High Level Visa with Bank of America, Disney Visa (my main credit card), and my American Express. My husband has his Discover Card, his RewardZone MasterCard (his main credit card) and a back up Visa. We've been maxed out on credit card debt in the past when we were younger and thus I try to keep that temptation away now (and keep shaking my head at how much spending limits they give us, especially after we got that debt paid off - I don't need or want as much as they give us but I'll keep it just in case the world falls apart or something)

I do have American Express but I don't have a Platinum Card or Centurion Card so I'm not eligible for the lounge :( I'm just a normal lowly American Express Blue Cash Everyday Rewards Member.

I guess they did call it the Centurion Lounge. We upgraded to Platinum a few years back for the travel agent services and travel protection plan. I think there were some other perks in there as well. Since we pay off our credit cards every month, I don't worry about debt anymore. However when I was right about your age, before I met Fran, I was over double my annual salary in debt and having just divorced the A--hole ex-husband who helped me get in debt. Fun times! :rotfl2:

I guess they did call it the Centurion Lounge. We upgraded to Platinum a few years back for the travel agent services and travel protection plan. I think there were some other perks in there as well. Since we pay off our credit cards every month, I don't worry about debt anymore. However when I was right about your age, before I met Fran, I was over double my annual salary in debt and having just divorced the A--hole ex-husband who helped me get in debt. Fun times! :rotfl2:

I hope one day to get to the point where I don't have to worry about debt! If you consider things like the mortgage - we would be about double our salaries but thats not debt I really add in for the consideration in the worrisome range. When you take away the mortgage - we aren't that bad off in relation to our incomes. My student loans are almost gone, DVC is over halfway paid off and I have a year left on my car. Do we carry credit card debt over month to month on occasion? Yes but I also want to enjoy life even if some plans get in the way of that like unplanned injuries that cause one to get X-Rays and MRIs when they haven't used any of the deducible for the year.

Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation for debt. Much better than I was. I'm just lucky that Fran and I can be comfortable in our aging years.

Binge read the whole TR and loved it! I'm planning an aulani/Kauai/Disneyland trip for my 30th in summer 2017 and I am definitely hitting some of your highlights! It looks like you guys had a great time and you had me cracking up with some of the antics between you and DH. Sounds a lot like the dynamic between me and my beloved R (who is also a veggie lover and primary veg eater though not totally vegetarian) and he is a much more devoted fitness buff than I am.

Your car lockout gave ME anxiety too! You poor thing!

One question- I saw on trip advisor that when you come to the stairs at Diamond Head you can either do the stairs (which is apparently a shortcut) or you can take a longer, gentler incline path. Was that an option in your experience? I almost passed out coming up about eleventy billion stairs after visiting a waterfall in Costa Rica, so I am worried about the stairs at Diamond Head.

Thanks for sharing your birthday trip!!! I enjoyed the mini vacation reading it. :flower3:

Melinda

I thoroughly enjoyed your birthday trip to Hawaii; thanks so much for sharing. The USS Arizona Memorial is on my bucket list; I don't understand people not attending this in complete reverence. Loved your food adventures.

I have read some of your past threads on WDW F&W; how I want to do this one of these days. Your posts only increase my wants:) It does seem like it has really gotten crowded now though.

I looked through your Tauck and National Geographic adventures in Italy; have you ever used one of these companies in the past? I have never seen something like this where it is a small group and is for the more adventurous. They are both so different but each are amazing. A friend just returned from a trip through Italy, but not the way I would be doing it. She took a bus tour; ugh. Too many people and too much bus time.

Thank you again for posting! Late happy birthday to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter