Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

Glad to hear you all are doing well! I'm glad the kids are in school and enjoying themselves!

I really hope you are able to attend your brother's wedding. It's so unfortunate how uncertain these times are right now :(

You're in the perfect location to see so much history. I'm enjoying all your trips.

I'm sorry you're missing family and I really hope you get to make your brother's wedding in June. I'm hoping the whole World turns the corner on Covid soon.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and you're making the most of your time in England. I hope you'll be able to attend your brother's wedding. I certainly never thought we'd see a time like this where you just can't travel freely.

We were meant to go to WDW this summer past but obviously that didn't happen and so now it's looking like summer or Christmas 2022 at the earliest which means it will be 4+ years between visits:sad::sad::sad:
Still at least I have my family all here-it must be so much harder for you guys. Thank goodness for technology so that at least skype and facetime are possible. Really hoping things work out for you.

Four years is a long time to go without Disney! But I suppose at this point, we'll all just be grateful to get back eventually. Hopefully by that point your grandson will still be willing to grab a photo with Mickey. I know that's your leverage to get a pic with your youngest! :rotfl:

Video chats have become a lifeline, no doubt about that! We check in with Alex's mom several times a week, and I call my mom almost every day. This is the longest I've ever gone without seeing family, and it's been a test in patience.

Good to see your check-in. First, what a great way to end your long Disney stay. Those pastries looked really good! My DH and I will finally (hopefully) get to Disney in March. It's been postponed twice. The character meals will wait until we can get our grandkids there. It's great you've been able to explore England during this strange time. I hope things open up in 2021 and you're able to make the wedding. December is my favorite month to visit WDW - hope you can make it happen next year!

I hope your trip in March is still on track. There's only so many time you can postpone or push back a trip before the frustration sets in. Fingers crossed for a better 2021!

Glad to hear you all are doing well! I'm glad the kids are in school and enjoying themselves!

I really hope you are able to attend your brother's wedding. It's so unfortunate how uncertain these times are right now :(

I don't think I've ever had a time in my adult life where I wasn't consistently planning a trip! It's been a wild year. I'm just grateful I have gotten to take so many Disney trips and have tons of pictures from all my European adventures. I try to remind myself to keep things in perspective and remember how lucky I have been and still am.

You're in the perfect location to see so much history. I'm enjoying all your trips.

I'm sorry you're missing family and I really hope you get to make your brother's wedding in June. I'm hoping the whole World turns the corner on Covid soon.

It's hard being in the U.K. and unable to truly travel. I don't know if we'll ever make it back over here, and I hate to squander a year's worth of sightseeing. But, we're safe and healthy, and that's the perspective I keep when I see a countdown and initially think, "We only have 2 years left here!":laughing:

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and you're making the most of your time in England. I hope you'll be able to attend your brother's wedding. I certainly never thought we'd see a time like this where you just can't travel freely.

I swear, every crazy reality has occurred since I moved overseas. Before moving, I told people, "Oh, the only times I'll have to make that international trip back home is if something crazy happens and a family members passes or a sibling gets married."
And then both of those happened when I lived in Germany! Then, before the move to England, I kept telling family. "We'll still only be a plane ride away. It's not impossible to see us."

....Who would have guessed?!? Not being able to go back to the states or vice versa was literally the last thing I imagined happening. :confused3

Hopefully by that point your grandson will still be willing to grab a photo with Mickey. I know that's your leverage to get a pic with your youngest! :rotfl:
My daughter is brainwashing my grandson with all things disney to ensure I get a Mickey pic with both him and my youngest. I’ve told her to keep up the good work and I’ll buy the ice-creams from beaches and cream 🤣👍

Crossing my fingers for you that you get to see family in person soon. You have a great attitude in keeping things in perspective so give yourself a clap on the back 👏

Happy New Year! I've been away myself but so glad to hear you all are doing well and making the most of exploring that beautiful country you live in. May 2021 bring good health and pixie dust to us all!

We are determined after canceling 3 trips to go at the end of March. We will also be spending a day to look at houses.

Hope you are still able to go at the end of March! Having to cancel a vacation three times is rough! I'm sure you're more than ready to get back to the magic.
Good luck on the house search!

Happy New Year! I've been away myself but so glad to hear you all are doing well and making the most of exploring that beautiful country you live in. May 2021 bring good health and pixie dust to us all!

Thanks! England found itself in another lockdown, so my family is impatiently waiting for March, when things are hopefully going to open up again. The kids had to do two weeks of virtual but then were able to go back to in-person. I'm really grateful for that, since U.K. kids are still out of class.

Great trip report, this was such a fun read while nap trapped under my now 7 week (!!) old. I hope things are improving for you guys in the UK! I think NYC isn’t too shut down at the moment, but I honestly have no clue because we haven’t been out of the apartment for anything but pediatrician appointments... ugh I hope this pandemic ends soon! My family is mostly abroad (mom, sister, etc. are in Germany) so no one has gotten to meet our little one yet.🙁

Great trip report, this was such a fun read while nap trapped under my now 7 week (!!) old. I hope things are improving for you guys in the UK! I think NYC isn’t too shut down at the moment, but I honestly have no clue because we haven’t been out of the apartment for anything but pediatrician appointments... ugh I hope this pandemic ends soon! My family is mostly abroad (mom, sister, etc. are in Germany) so no one has gotten to meet our little one yet.🙁
Aw congratulations on the new baby. Hope your family get to visit soon 😊

It's been far too long, but I wanted to pop back in to see the rest of your report. With mass vaccination on the horizon, thinking about vacation finally feels fun again.

We left without buying anything (which meant in addition to Evie’s frustrated tears we also had a six year old howling with indignation…”It’s not FAIR, I made a choice!”)

Ooof, that's a tough one. I hate when one kids' actions/attitude/meltdown necessitate everyone missing out, but that's parenting sometimes.

I won’t leave you hanging and will say the story ended well. Evie managed to wait until we exited the ride, I picked her up, and sprinted to the nearest restroom. Then fought for precious seconds with the now soaked (from sweat) and slippery dress to yank it over her head. Pretty sure I can still taste the knock-off tulle and glitter that became trapped in my mouth as I fought for space in the minuscule stall.

I feel every single part of this. Hurrah for making it in time, but I know that whole ride must have felt like there was a tiny time bomb and you couldn't see the countdown.

I was tired.

I had just spent all of March and April preparing for our move, and May was a blur of packers and temporary lodging and saying goodbyes. We didn’t have a home, all our belongings were on a truck, and I’d been “traveling” for close to three weeks by that point. On top of all that, I was dealing with emotions of leaving an amazing community and getting ready to set forth into an entirely new country.

The stress and work had caught up with me.

I hadn't even thought of that. You must have been completely exhausted before the trip ever began. I think you're right about not trying to fit a trip in with a move, even if it *feels* like it works well with Alex's leave time.

I was in shock. When it comes to a Walt Disney World trip, I rarely do spontaneous and spur of the moment activities. Really, I can only think of two other times I made a wild plan on the fly. Alex and I grabbed a Chef Mickey’s breakfast reservation at ten the night before, and my mom and I decided to go to a MVMCP event hours before it started. Otherwise, everything’s planned and thought out.

But here we were. Five in the afternoon with the party starting in a mere few hours.

My excitement and spirits began to lift.

Oooooo, fun!

“I’M TRYING THIS BUT I DON’T LIKE ITTTTTT!!!”

Evie was NOT a fan, but everyone else in the family loved it. It was so much fun! For me, it was the perfect amount of thrill for a family coaster, and I wish I could have gone on it again!

Oh my goodness, she's a riot!

Looked like we were going to get to ride every Toy Story Land attraction that evening!

Yay! Your day really was turning around.

This really was a party!

And just like that, Alex and I felt like we were back in the beginning days of our Disney trips. Where the MK stayed open until 3 a.m. for Extra Magic Hours and the streets were a ghostown. Where we walked from land to land feeling like we were a part of the magic, a part of the park itself.

The Villains party was giving us a taste of that magic.

And man oh man, did it make Alex and I so happy.

I'm glad you guys had such a magical evening. It sounds like it was worth every penny.

The empty walkways, calm waters, and bright sunlight reflecting off all the quiet building was out to impress.

Crescent Lake is gorgeous in the morning. I loved my morning coffee trip every day of our Boardwalk stay.

For the present, the kids are concentrating on their school work, Alex and I are working hard, and together we are navigating the close of 2020 as best we can.

Like everyone else, I'm so glad 2020 is behind us and 2021 is offering glimmers of hope. Fingers crossed we get something closer to normal in the not-too-distant future.

Hi! Thanks for reading my report. I remember those late night, new baby reading sessions well. :rotfl: Pretty sure I covered at least a dozen updates a night while my oldest partied late into the night....
It must be very difficult having family so far away. I understand that video chats are wonderful and a massive tool, they don't replace face-to-face connections. My heart goes out to you, and I empathize. My kids are older now, but there has been more than one occasion during this pandemic that my heart breaks knowing it's been almost two years since they've seen their grandparents. It's such a crummy situation all around.

I hadn't even thought of that. You must have been completely exhausted before the trip ever began. I think you're right about not trying to fit a trip in with a move, even if it *feels* like it works well with Alex's leave time.

It's great to see you back on the boards! Not that I can say too much, I was gone for nearly a year, myself. I applaud everyone who could keep reading and thinking about Disney during this past year. It was just too dang sad for me.

I don't know what the heck I was thinking, planning a massive vacation in the middle of an international move. Never again!

Like everyone else, I'm so glad 2020 is behind us and 2021 is offering glimmers of hope. Fingers crossed we get something closer to normal in the not-too-distant future.

I'm staying optimistic!

Alex is due to get his 2nd dose of the vaccine next week, and I got my first one a few weeks ago! This gives us so much hope on being able to go back to the states this summer.

Right now, the biggest hurdle we have left to cross is the U.K.'s restrictions. In addition to the typical tests before each flight, they are also requiring you pay for every member to take a test on day 2 and 8 of a return, 10 day quarantine. That, plus, the cost of the initial test before flying out, and the pound conversion would cost us more than the plane tickets for the entire family. :sad2: So, we're still playing the wait and see game.

Right now, the biggest hurdle we have left to cross is the U.K.'s restrictions. In addition to the typical tests before each flight, they are also requiring you pay for every member to take a test on day 2 and 8 of a return, 10 day quarantine. That, plus, the cost of the initial test before flying out, and the pound conversion would cost us more than the plane tickets for the entire family. :sad2: So, we're still playing the wait and see game.

I hope you get to come home to see your family this summer. I can't imagine how hard it is right now to be so far away.

Alex is due to get his 2nd dose of the vaccine next week, and I got my first one a few weeks ago! This gives us so much hope on being able to go back to the states this summer.

What great news! Hubby and I are vaccinated, but obviously the kids aren't and there's no time frame to speak of. I'm struggling with the idea of doing anything with them that requires a flight while various quarantine periods are still in effect. I REALLY don't want to be stuck somewhere and forced to quarantine in a hotel room with young kids for 14 days. At least, with the prospect of visiting family, you wouldn't have such a restrictive quarantine if one of them did get sick.

Better late than never - I finally finished reading your report. In fact, it had been so long that I started back at the beginning again and read the whole thing tonight. It was such a nice night, enjoying your trip along with you. So glad you got to make this trip and enjoy the time with both grandmothers before 2020 happened. Reading your January 2020 update about all your exciting travel plans for the year was heartbreaking, knowing now how things worked out. But I'm hopeful for your summer adventures! Sounds like June is your goal for the wedding, but if you happen to be at Disney in late August, definitely get in touch! Anyway, really enjoyed reading this. Say hi to Landon and Evie (and Alex) for us!

I hope you get to come home to see your family this summer. I can't imagine how hard it is right now to be so far away.

I never in a million years thought I would go two years without seeing my family! However, all of us have stayed healthy and that's all I can ask for. I know one day I'll get back to Florida and see them all again.

What great news! Hubby and I are vaccinated, but obviously the kids aren't and there's no time frame to speak of. I'm struggling with the idea of doing anything with them that requires a flight while various quarantine periods are still in effect. I REALLY don't want to be stuck somewhere and forced to quarantine in a hotel room with young kids for 14 days. At least, with the prospect of visiting family, you wouldn't have such a restrictive quarantine if one of them did get sick.

Thinking about the kids, who aren't vaccinated, has been the most stressful part of planning a visit back to the states. Fortunately, they've dealt with three national lockdowns here, so quarantining when we get back is no big deal. Landon's not thrilled with having to take 4 COVID tests, but as he said, "It'll be worth it to see Nana again."

Better late than never - I finally finished reading your report. In fact, it had been so long that I started back at the beginning again and read the whole thing tonight. It was such a nice night, enjoying your trip along with you. So glad you got to make this trip and enjoy the time with both grandmothers before 2020 happened. Reading your January 2020 update about all your exciting travel plans for the year was heartbreaking, knowing now how things worked out. But I'm hopeful for your summer adventures! Sounds like June is your goal for the wedding, but if you happen to be at Disney in late August, definitely get in touch! Anyway, really enjoyed reading this. Say hi to Landon and Evie (and Alex) for us!

When I was talking to Alex's mom the other day, she mentioned, "I saw the pictures of us in Magic Kingdom and can't believe it was so long ago." Looking back, I'm beyond grateful for that day and the memories we created.
Right now, Alex and I figure the earliest we are going to get back to Disney is Christmas of 2022. The trip home this summer, we want to be super safe and really only go to the grandmas' houses. I don't want us to not be able to make it back to the U.K.! The kids are extremely sad we're not doing the theme parks, though. Evie has been dying to build a droid at GE, and Landon's started reading Harry Potter and really wants to visit Universal. I told them, "Eventually!"

The kids say hi back! They hope one day our Disney trips will cross paths again.
(My sister in-law will be moving back to MN in about a year, and so I'm sure once we move back to the states Alex and I will bring the kids up there to visit. So hopefully if not at Disney, another MN DISmeet will occur!)

Good to see your post. Sounds like your summer trip is a Go - that's great! Sorry you have to skip the parks but it's more important to be able to get home without a problem. It will be wonderful to spend time with your family and enjoy the Florida weather. Our early March trip went off without a hitch and I'm so grateful we finally were able to make it happen. I hope you post details of your summer trip!

Good to see your post. Sounds like your summer trip is a Go - that's great! Sorry you have to skip the parks but it's more important to be able to get home without a problem. It will be wonderful to spend time with your family and enjoy the Florida weather. Our early March trip went off without a hitch and I'm so grateful we finally were able to make it happen. I hope you post details of your summer trip!

I cannot wait for the Florida sunshine! We have been having a record-breaking rainy month here in the U.K. It's been in the 40s/50s and rainy every single day. My poor skin's not going to know what to do when UV rays hit it again! (Told the family to buy several bottles of SPF 50 sunscreen for our poor selves. :rotfl: )

Oh, I'm really happy to hear your March trip went well! I remember you pushed it back a few times. It must have been so nice, walking down Main St. once again. Anything about the restrictions/changes that changed your experience? Do you have another trip on the horizon?

Hello there, friends! Hope everyone is doing well. I am enjoying the reports currently floating around the boards. Gives me hope that one day, the kids will get to return to Walt Disney World and make new, magical experiences.

I come back to this sad, desolate report to ask you experts a few questions. I knew there are no better people to ask then you all, awesome TR friends.

Next month, (June) Alex and I are getting the opportunity to stay at the Swan for one night. Just me and the hubs, kids are going to stay with the MIL and be spoiled rotten.
The Swan - and Dolphin - are completely new resorts for us. We haven't even been to them to eat or explore!

So...any advice or tips? Is the pool worth checking out? Is it worth to take a walk over to the Boardwalk? A walk to the International Gateway to experience the Skyliner?

Alex and I will not have park tickets for the two days, and my knowledge of eateries outside the parks isn't the best. We aren't comfortable eating indoors yet, but do you guys have any restaurants or quick service spots that are worth checking out? I know ADRs are impossible to come by, and we're not that worried about trying to eat somewhere nice. We just need some food ideas!
Any restaurants in the Swan worth trying? Favorite Disney Springs snacks? We have so many desserts we want to try, test out, but very little in the way of actual food. And the last thing I want is to end up at our go-to from ten years ago, Earl of Sandwich. Which will be exactly what happens if I don't throw out some better idea to Alex. :rotfl2:

It's been two years since we've been on WDW property, and I feel like a complete newbie. I don't remember anything, anymore! So, please, toss me any and all tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter