Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

Currently googling Japan child seat map...

It's basically a new policy a Japanese airline implemented that will show you where children under 2 are seated on a seat map. That way you can, in theory, avoid sitting near them.
As both someone flying without kids, I can understand why you'd want to do that. And as a parent who has flown with younger kids, I would rather have people who don't want to deal with their antics far away. Much easier on everyone all around not to have the adult passengers grumpy and the parents stressed. But that's just my thoughts on the matter... :confused3

It's basically a new policy a Japanese airline implemented that will show you where children under 2 are seated on a seat map. That way you can, in theory, avoid sitting near them.
As both someone flying without kids, I can understand why you'd want to do that. And as a parent who has flown with younger kids, I would rather have people who don't want to deal with their antics far away. Much easier on everyone all around not to have the adult passengers grumpy and the parents stressed. But that's just my thoughts on the matter... :confused3

That's actually not a bad idea. My kids are older now but I sometimes fly with my wee grandson and because there were 6 of us plus him we were able to ensure that the only people he would annoy would be us but I knew my daughter was praying to the Paw Patrol gang that they'd do the trick and entertain him for the flight :rotfl2:Thankfully they did :thumbsup2 I feel most people are understanding of kids on planes but it only takes 1 grump to make it a whole lot harder than it needs to be:crazy2:

That's actually not a bad idea. My kids are older now but I sometimes fly with my wee grandson and because there were 6 of us plus him we were able to ensure that the only people he would annoy would be us but I knew my daughter was praying to the Paw Patrol gang that they'd do the trick and entertain him for the flight

Was this your trip to Portugal?? Once the weather turns gray and dreary here in the U.K. I might have to hear more about the resort you stayed at. A sunny warm climate might have to be in my future and your trip to Portugal looked wonderful! :rotfl:

Yes, and you'll definitely have to let me know if that ever happens! We do a little travelling in New England every once in a while and would love to meet you and your sweet family.

I won't lie, I'd much rather live somewhere warmer and meet you and your husband under different circumstances. :rotfl2:These cold European winters are the biggest drawback to living overseas! But if the northeast is in the cards for us, then yes! That idea sounds wonderful. :goodvibes

A short update this weekend! It's been a busy Columbus Day holiday with Alex gone for work for most of it. Hopefully my next write up will have this Disney day finished.

June 2nd 2019 Part 4:

When Alex and I reached the bus stop a bus for AKL was pulling up. Talk about great timing. We waited for a few ECV vehicles to be loaded then squeezed into a standing spot near the back of the vehicle. Alex and I got to watch a mother try to keep her young daughter awake, silently sympathizing with her while at the same time cheering at it not being our task.

At the back of the bus with us was a family comprised of several teenage kids. They were being a little loud, and I got the impression they were irritating some of the other guests but not for Alex and me. We weren’t going to fault them for arguing best rides in Epcot, who used their snack credits the best way, or who got first dibs on the shower. It was heartwarming to hear the kids having a good time and enjoying their vacation. Truth be told, I hope Landon and Evie are that excited to talk about their park time when they’re older.

The shining moment of the ride was when one of the girls asked her mom, “Why are you on Snapchat? It’s so embarrassing.”

To which the mom replied, “Because you’re on it, and I want to keep tabs on you.”

Pretty sure every parent on the bus laughed at the comment.

Made me appreciate that my kids are still too young to worry about those issues. Alex and I might have been at Disney celebrating a break from the school-aged madness, but at least we weren’t at the cell phones, cars, and curfew insanity.

::yes::

I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it…

Alex and I made it back to our room at 2:25 p.m. and upon opening the balcony door discovered three giraffes in the distance.

I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome home sight!

Pulling out my phone, I tried to capture the moment with a wonderful selfie.

Instead I ended up with:

Just imagine the giraffes are there….

I sat down to enjoy the animals, and a few minutes later a handler drove up to the gate and got out of her vehicle. She called to two Guinea fowls and they ignored her. She had to chase them down and pick them up, bring them over to her jeep, and set them down in front of food bowls.

There were several of us guests watching from the balcony, and I guess the handler heard us laughing at the stubborn birds because she walked closer to our rooms and explained:

“These are Guinea fowls. We have to come out and feed them ourselves, because they’re too good to come in and eat when called.”

How funny. Pretentious birds….

The whole situation solidified why Animal Kingdom Lodge is a spectacular resort. How many other resorts can you spot a giraffe and speak with an animal handler? It’s one of the most unique hotels I’ve ever stayed at.

Continuing to watch the animals long after the guineas had been served their meal, I gave my mom a call to check on the kids:

Then got ready to head back into a park.

Tonight was a big deal for the two of us. Alex and I were going to finally get to ride Flights of Passage.

Together!

A new attraction that we didn’t have to Rider Swap for. Just like the old days, when we experienced a lot of the WDW coasters with each other for the first time.

This was the moment Alex was most looking forward to. He missed riding attractions with me, and he was very excited to get to share initial reactions and impressions without small children underfoot.

This was classic Disney to him. The two of us. Standing in lines, spotting hidden details, cruising through the exit queue.

It made me really happy to have gotten the FOP FP and bring this moment to fruition.

After a short bus ride to Animal Kingdom, Alex and I spotted a Lion King photo op near the entrance and decided to do it. Right before it was our turn, the Photopass photographers switched shifts and when the new person took over, she couldn’t get the scanner to work on our bands. She offered to take the pictures with our phones, which I appreciated. We all know there are Cast Members out there nowadays who would have pretended everything was all right and nobody would be none the wiser until the photos didn’t appear on the app.

I was pretty out of the loop on Disney news leading up to this trip, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to see Animal Kingdom celebrating the Lion King in the park:

The original is my favorite all-time Disney film and therefore I forced Alex to stop at all the photo op locations, but not before I snapped a quick pic of the Tree of Life:

Originally, the two of us had Fastpasses for Dinosaur from 4:20 to 5:20. I didn’t want to walk all the way to Dinoland and then back track to Pandora, so I let the pass expire and instead walked us slowly into the newest land.

I can take or leave Pandora, but I won’t deny its beauty. The entire area is photo-worthy.

A backstage photo of me trying to capture the vivid foliage in the late afternoon sunlight.

It didn’t work.

The best I got was the waterfall:

Alex and I meandered around the land, grabbing a PP picture and listening to the atmosphere. It was less crowded in the area than I expected; I could only assume most guests were finding early dinners and preparing for Rivers of Light. It made the walkways manageable and allowed us to take close looks at the surroundings. Quite the enjoyable experience.

Then, before either of us realized 5:20 had arrived.

Our Fastpass window had opened.

Time to try Flight of Passage!

Up Next…I Thought They Were Minis

At the back of the bus with us was a family comprised of several teenage kids. They were being a little loud, and I got the impression they were irritating some of the other guests but not for Alex and me. We weren’t going to fault them for arguing best rides in Epcot, who used their snack credits the best way, or who got first dibs on the shower. It was heartwarming to hear the kids having a good time and enjoying their vacation. Truth be told, I hope Landon and Evie are that excited to talk about their park time when they’re older.

This is sweet. I love that they were still so enthused about Disney as teens!

“Why are you on Snapchat? It’s so embarrassing.”

To which the mom replied, “Because you’re on it, and I want to keep tabs on you.”

:rotfl:

Haha oops! At least it's a nice picture of you!

The whole situation solidified why Animal Kingdom Lodge is a spectacular resort. How many other resorts can you spot a giraffe and speak with an animal handler? It’s one of the most unique hotels I’ve ever stayed at.

Love this. Animal Kingdom Lodge is such a unique special place. What a cool experience.

I can take or leave Pandora, but I won’t deny its beauty. The entire area is photo-worthy.

Agreed.

I am so enjoying reading about your adults only time. It is getting me so excitied for our trip!

A short update this weekend! It's been a busy Columbus Day holiday with Alex gone for work for most of it. Hopefully my next write up will have this Disney day finished.
Do you loose track of some of the Americian holidays being over seas? I mean I forgot it was Columbus Day tomorrow!

At the back of the bus with us was a family comprised of several teenage kids. They were being a little loud, and I got the impression they were irritating some of the other guests but not for Alex and me. We weren’t going to fault them for arguing best rides in Epcot, who used their snack credits the best way, or who got first dibs on the shower.
I hope this is what Morgan and Gwen do one day!

The shining moment of the ride was when one of the girls asked her mom, “Why are you on Snapchat? It’s so embarrassing.”

Pretty sure every parent on the bus laughed at the comment.
Ha! This is hilarious! We got Morgan a phone this year, but thankfully it is just that for her right now. A phone. A way to contacts us when she misses the bus! She hasn't discovered social media yet, Thank God! I am not read for it yet.

Instead I ended up with:

Ha! This is what I would have ended up with as well.

“These are Guinea fowls. We have to come out and feed them ourselves, because they’re too good to come in and eat when called.”

How funny. Pretentious birds….
Amazing!!! I am so excitied about our stay here now!

I agree about Pandora as well!

She had to chase them down and pick them up, bring them over to her jeep, and set them down in front of food bowls.
Okay I'm trying to picture it in my head and I can only imagine how hilarious it was!

Fun times at AKL! Can't wait to hear your reaction of FOP :D

Pulling out my phone, I tried to capture the moment with a wonderful selfie.

Instead I ended up with:

LOLOLOL!

Okay, that's too funny! And I love that she noticed you and actually engaged with you. What a fun job!

It made me really happy to have gotten the FOP FP and bring this moment to fruition.

How exciting!!!

The entire area is photo-worthy.
Indeed it is!

Snap!!

Ugh, making me yearn for AKL, I love it so much.

These signs are gorgeous! Think Disney would give me one once the celebration is over?

The original is my favorite all-time Disney film

Same! Except all-time favorite film, period!

Looking forward to reading about your reactions to FOP!

Was this your trip to Portugal?? Once the weather turns gray and dreary here in the U.K. I might have to hear more about the resort you stayed at. A sunny warm climate might have to be in my future and your trip to Portugal looked wonderful! :rotfl:
Portugal was gorgeous. We stayed in Villamoura which was just perfect. Very family friendly. Lovey beach and excellent restaurants all around the marina. We stayed in a :)villa about 20 minutes walk (pushing buggy) into the town when it was all of us and then my husband, youngest son and I went back for a long weekend in august and stayed in the Tivoli Marina Hotel right in the centre. It was gorgeous :love: Rooms to die for with tons of space and views either of the sea or marina. Look out for deals on the likes of booking.com . It also had a kids club with activities for kids up to age 12 that parents can use to get a wee break or a child-free meal (just saying;)). Feel free to ask me anything. Perfect for some easy accessible winter sun from the UK :)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Great photo of you even if there aren't any giraffes :goodvibes
I'm loving your kid-free trip. Funny how we sometimes lose ourselves a little as we become parents. Good to rekindle the love a little and enjoy those things that we did before kids :goodvibes

Sounds like you were pretty entertained on your balcony!

Great pics of you two as you got to AK!

Ahh leaving us on a cliffhanger!!

Made me appreciate that my kids are still too young to worry about those issues. Alex and I might have been at Disney celebrating a break from the school-aged madness, but at least we weren’t at the cell phones, cars, and curfew insanity.
Oh gosh... it comes sooner than you'd expect! L is in 4th grade. Last year, he asked us if he could make his own YouTube channel. He wanted one because one of his friends had one. We watched some of the videos his friend (a third grader) was posting and the language would make a sailor blush. Hell to the no!
:rotfl2: :lmao::rotfl:
Very true. AK might not be my favorite park, but AKL is among my favorites on the resort side, for sure.
::yes::
A backstage photo of me trying to capture the vivid foliage in the late afternoon sunlight.
Oh, that's disappointing. I was hoping it was a backstage photo of another failed selfie.

I do not look forward to dealing with raising a child in the world of social media. My husband and I were bullied enough as kids and teens - social media just makes it potentially 1000% worse. Thankfully I have a few years to go before I have to worry about it!

I do adore the AKL! :love: I'd love to stay there again someday, but I'll probably wait until we're spending a little less time at MK. The views and the feel of the whole resort is just fantastic. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get a meal there on a trip not too far in the future!

HOORAY for being able to ride together on FOP! This is something I'm sad about for our upcoming trip - I've never been to Disney World with G and we'll have to enjoy several rides as a single rider due to our short toddler. I don't mind riding things by myself, but it would be much more fun to ride with him!

What a relaxing afternoon- especially since there were no kiddos to chase! 💕

I can’t wait to hear what you both thought about FoP. I LOVE it! DH- could take it or leave it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter