Way Too Early Planning Advice - OKC to DLR - Traffic Concerns, Hotel Recs in AZ, etc.

I think we've picked out the Springhill Suites just a bit north of downtown Phoenix on I-17, and there's an In-N-Out about a mile away.

Why yes, I *am* planning where I'll be eating dinner 9 months in advance. :)

I am a super planner to. Our family likes some chains that are not available in our part of the country. I have the locations for Pizza Ranches, Dickeys BBQ, and some KFC buffets. We hope to hit them up both on our way west and on our way home. (Our trip home takes us Northeast to Salt Lake City, then east to Nebraska, north to South Dakota, then east on our way back home.)

I am a super planner to. Our family likes some chains that are not available in our part of the country. I have the locations for Pizza Ranches, Dickeys BBQ, and some KFC buffets. We hope to hit them up both on our way west and on our way home. (Our trip home takes us Northeast to Salt Lake City, then east to Nebraska, north to South Dakota, then east on our way back home.)
Not to go way off topic, but yeah, the wife and I are super planners (her moreso than me). I don't like the *idea* of all the planning required at WDW, though I think I'd be able to do it efficiently. I've always said that the difference in planning for the two coasts is that at WDW you have to Super Plan to be on the same level as everyone else, while at DLR you have an advantage if you plan.

Not to go way off topic, but yeah, the wife and I are super planners (her moreso than me). I don't like the *idea* of all the planning required at WDW, though I think I'd be able to do it efficiently. I've always said that the difference in planning for the two coasts is that at WDW you have to Super Plan to be on the same level as everyone else, while at DLR you have an advantage if you plan.

Yes. The level of planning I had to embrace for our WDW trip in 2016 went past being a lot of fun into zone I can only equate with what NASA must have to do. I had so many hacks and back up plans and it was a job. It had never been that intense before. I am imagining the planning I am doing for Disneyland to be more in line with the planning I needed to do for Disney World prior to FP+. But I am somewhat intimidated about not having a accurate crowd prediction for DLR. Prior to 2014, I think Walt Disney World always had pretty decent crowd-predicting.

Yes. The level of planning I had to embrace for our WDW trip in 2016 went past being a lot of fun into zone I can only equate with what NASA must have to do. I had so many hacks and back up plans and it was a job. It had never been that intense before. I am imagining the planning I am doing for Disneyland to be more in line with the planning I needed to do for Disney World prior to FP+. But I am somewhat intimidated about not having a accurate crowd prediction for DLR. Prior to 2014, I think Walt Disney World always had pretty decent crowd-predicting.
Yah, being a rocket engineer in a former life has it's advantages at WDW...:rolleyes1

:wizard:

If anyone is looking for a good place to stop for drinks that isn't Starbucks, check out Dutch Bros. They are in a few states (here in AZ). I feel the drinks are better and larger than Starbucks. The medium at Dutch is a Venti at Starbucks. They are in Northern CA, originates out of Oregon, in WA, UT and I think NV. I always get a mocha freeze with whipped cream. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

If anyone is looking for a good place to stop for drinks that isn't Starbucks, check out Dutch Bros. They are in a few states (here in AZ). I feel the drinks are better and larger than Starbucks. The medium at Dutch is a Venti at Starbucks. They are in Northern CA, originates out of Oregon, in WA, UT and I think NV. I always get a mocha freeze with whipped cream. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

As a counterpoint: Dutch Bros is terrible.

:rolleyes1

THIS is important information.

okay....since we are hijacking.....the best frozen coffee drink on the I-5 north from Sacramento to Seattle is in Yreka....has ruined me.....I cannot drink any think else.....so never try a frozen drink that you cannot buy at home down the street.

LOL

I treat myself to Dunkin at home once or twice a month. I find Tim Horton’s inconsistent where I live. I’ve never gotten a Starbucks outside an airport.

I’ll try a Dutch Bros and report back.

Awesome! Glad you are going to give them a try. The iced mocha is good, but I can make that at home (and it is better too). However, I haven't been able to duplicate the mocha freeze yet.

Been living in AZ for over 30 years, (from So, Cal) and we NEVER had snow on the I10. You have a bigger chance of driving through snow/rain on the I40 than the I10. On the freeway in the middle of nowhere desert, the speed limit in AZ is 75 and in CA it is 70. So, even though it is just two lanes, it moves.
Flagstaff to Phoenix is two lanes on both sides the entire way.
Yes I17 runs from Flagstaff to Phoenix and is an interstate so at least two lanes both direction but if you are cutting down from I40 to I10 coming out of New Mexico you’d leave I40 at Holbrook and take AZ 377 which runs through the mountains. In good weather saves time and miles over going to Flagstaff and then down I17. In bad weather both routes will bog down.

We were there last year the week after Thanksgiving. Flew out after school on a Tuesday and hit early entry the next morning in the parks. It was SO worth it. That Wednesday (11/29) was golden, one of our better days ever in a Disney park. Thursday (11/30) was still decent but definitely busier. Friday was crazy. Saturday beyond crazy. We also hit Sunday early entry and stayed for 5 hours before heading to the airport.

I expected exactly what we got that week. Mondays have been busy days at DLR of late, so don't expect it to be dead. The golden days generally happen mid-week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday).

That first weekend of December has been Candlelight Processional for a few years. Crowds can be intense because of it. If it's CP weekend again this year (no reason to expect it to be different) I think you would do well to avoid Saturday and Sunday in the parks if possible. Because my daughter is in high school, we can only miss a few days of school, so didn't have a lot of flexibility.

We were there last year the week after Thanksgiving. Flew out after school on a Tuesday and hit early entry the next morning in the parks. It was SO worth it. That Wednesday (11/29) was golden, one of our better days ever in a Disney park. Thursday (11/30) was still decent but definitely busier. Friday was crazy. Saturday beyond crazy. We also hit Sunday early entry and stayed for 5 hours before heading to the airport.

I expected exactly what we got that week. Mondays have been busy days at DLR of late, so don't expect it to be dead. The golden days generally happen mid-week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday).

That first weekend of December has been Candlelight Processional for a few years. Crowds can be intense because of it. If it's CP weekend again this year (no reason to expect it to be different) I think you would do well to avoid Saturday and Sunday in the parks if possible. Because my daughter is in high school, we can only miss a few days of school, so didn't have a lot of flexibility.
Thanks. Our early plan is M-F in the parks. We normally like to have a non park day in the middle, but this time for the sake of crowds we’re thinking otherwise.

Love Dutch Brothers! Found one in Colorado Springs, CO last time we vacationed there too!

I had to dig around to find this thread.
How is planning going @Xenorye ?
We leave for our road trip in 16 days... It seems surreal.

Ha, I just pulled up the page and was like "Whoa, that's my old thread!"

Planning's good! Our trip is paid off (did the Target RedCard-Disney Gift Card thing for the whole balance). My mom has had some health scares in the past few months but she seems to be good to go now, but of course as an extreme early planner it was making me nervous... and we're still six months away... lol.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins are at the DLH right now living it up and they're not texting me pictures NEARLY enough. One of the cousins told me the drive wasn't too bad, but they made two stops - Carlsbad and San Clemente. She said OKC - PHX shouldn't be a problem, and that the drive was pretty decent but uneventful.

How exciting that you're only a couple weeks out! I'll be looking for your updates, and give me a wave when you pass the Meridian Ave. exit in OKC on I-40 -- I work just south of the highway. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter