Ways to combat low mood/depression

I absolutely agree with you. This thread just seems to treat it as something that can be cured by just doing more to be happy. We know that’s not the case.

Oh no, that's not the intention at all! I know it could come across with a "one size fits all" spectrum of treatments, but in real life, everyone is different and what helps one person may not help another. My hope was to outline several WAYS by which one could seek help. In reality, there are hundreds or thousands of remedies. Some are benign, like eating your greens, and some seem extreme, like Insulin Shock Therapy (which may be illegal now, I dunno.)

From personal experience, for my needs, I found that medication helped and when I found the right ones, the side effects were minimal. They allowed me to shelter from my symptoms whilst therapy - in my case CBT and EMDR - worked their magic.

YMMV. I wish and pray for everyone suffering from mental illness a safe and decisive recovery. And if anyone ever fancies a chat, I'm always there for you, or failing that, I believe there is an excellent forum on the DIS that will lend an ear.

I jusr kind of know things will look different down the road, but thats real mild stuff I get, my mom would get serious depression and pills did her great, I was so thnakful for them, nothing worse then seeing your mom hopeless

The obvious two treatments are counselling/therapy and medication.

However, there are other treatments, some of which you may not have coined in.

Massage and acupuncture, including aromatherapy and reflexology can improve mood and are lovely little perks to have any which way!

Now, dark chocolate. Not in huge quantities! But a little every now and then can act as a great antidepressant.

Leafy salads such as lettuce and cabbage aid in sleep. In fact, herbal sleeping tablets often are no more than crushed leaves. And good sleep means better mood.

Light boxes can simulate sunshine which combats seasonal low mood, known as SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder.

eTNS - can reduce symptoms of depression in week by as much as 50%. Touted as having no side effects, a very, very low current passed across the head can make patients feel "alert yet relaxed".

rTMS is being championed as the new electroshock. A magnetic pulse or trains of quick pulses are passed through the head for about half an hour and patients generally report an improvement in their mood very comprehensibly.

ECT, aka. electroshock. I know, it sounds barbaric, but it really works and is quite sophisticated nowadays. If nothing else works for you this last resort treatment will perk you up big time - hopefully! You are sedated, paralysed and treated quickly. Sadly memory functions can be affected and anaesthesia carries risks. But if you need it, you need it.

I hope this post helps someone.
Thank you for bringing up this topic. I was first diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder at 16. I have tried them all with various results, except for eTNS.

TMS helped me during a mild (for me, but still classified as major) depressive episode It seemed like a miracle cure at first, with no side effects, except for a bit of a headache right after treatment. When I tried TMS again after my depression returned, it did not help the second time.

Which led me to ECT. It saved my life. My depression had gotten so bad that I had no desire to keep living, but also no desire to turn to suicide. I was just barely existing. I have experienced some side effects that are more annoying than life altering. There are random memories from before and during treatment that are just gone. I also feel I have had some cognitive decline, but nothing out of the normal range. For example, I don't read as fast and I have to listen to audiobooks at normal speed, when I used to listen to them at 1.5-2xs normal speed. I sometimes have difficulty with word recall too.

I personally have found high dose Vitamin D more effective than a light box.

If I ever get back in a severe depression, I would definitely talk to my psychiatrist about Ketamine therapy.

I also feel one should go to a mental health practitioner and not depend solely on a GP for diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I was first diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder at 16. I have tried them all with various results, except for eTNS.

TMS helped me during a mild (for me, but still classified as major) depressive episode It seemed like a miracle cure at first, with no side effects, except for a bit of a headache right after treatment. When I tried TMS again after my depression returned, it did not help the second time.

Which led me to ECT. It saved my life. My depression had gotten so bad that I had no desire to keep living, but also no desire to turn to suicide. I was just barely existing. I have experienced some side effects that are more annoying than life altering. There are random memories from before and during treatment that are just gone. I also feel I have had some cognitive decline, but nothing out of the normal range. For example, I don't read as fast and I have to listen to audiobooks at normal speed, when I used to listen to them at 1.5-2xs normal speed. I sometimes have difficulty with word recall too.

I personally have found high dose Vitamin D more effective than a light box.

If I ever get back in a severe depression, I would definitely talk to my psychiatrist about Ketamine therapy.

I also feel one should go to a mental health practitioner and not depend solely on a GP for diagnosis and treatment.

I deeply respect your valour in being able to confess to your treatment and illness.

I myself have been treated for a number of ailments and have also been treated with therapy, drugs, rTMS and ECT. Of the lot, as you have found, ECT was the most effective and I have a newfound respect for the treatment. However, my memory is now shot so it's not a total bed of roses. And I hated being knocked out.

rTMS is a great to an extent and it keeps my depression under control. Often I fall asleep during treatment! But that depends on how far away the coil is to my head.

Drugs have only gone so far. I'm on a course of MAOI antidepressants, old skool ones, which pack a punch but come with a horrible diet (no cheese, no booze, no prepared meats, certain veggies and so on). They help but I need the rTMS to stay level.

I will be trying eTNS in the coming weeks and if you like I can report back to you? Ketamine sounds interesting as does Magic Mushroom therapy (Ecstasy seems a little over the top). I'd be interested to find out more about it.

And no, I am not ashamed to admit that my brain has been reasoned with, drugged, zapped and electrocuted. These procedures are far more sophisticated these days and more common than you might think.

If anyone else is suffering from depression or other illness, I am here for you.

Last edited:

Take a good look at your life and give-up those things that aren’t making you happy. Meaning if you have a friendship that is toxic. Or an extra cuticular that stresses your out.

For more minor blues, spending time with my dogs helps.

For full on depression I had good luck with Paxil. I didn't get much out of the actual sessions with the psychiatrist because I'm not a talker (I was 10, I think my mom talked more than I did) and I really had no explanation for feeling sad. I just was sad and not having a reason made it worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter