WBCers, what would it take to get you on property?

chekhovgirl

DIS Veteran
We love Bonnet Creek, been six times, going a seventh in April, said we'd never stay on property again! However, I'm planning a couples trip for my 40th and was thinking about staying on property by renting DVC points. However, if we do that, the cost would be at least double what we would be at WBC - lowest priced property is $1400 for the week vs. $750 for the week at WBC.

Here's the thing - we have four kids and often travel with extended family, which means multiple rooms or villas when we travel, one of the many reasons we stay at WBC. So, this is my one shot at paying for a "regular" room or DVC studio to stay on property. Poly has a lot of nostalgia for me as we would stay there with my grandparents when I was little, and I loved AKL when we visited one time. I think we're going to do a lot of resort and bar/restaurant hopping in addition to parks.

What would you do? Take the plunge? Which resort would be your "must stay at resort" that would pull you away from WBC?

There are many reasons to stay at a Disney property.

Disney transportation is great, especially for a large group where people don't want to come and go at the same time.
The resorts are nicely themed and the service is pretty good.
The nostalgia factor is real. One of the reasons you vacation is to feel good, not just pursue value.
Staying in a new place can make your trip more memorable and special.

You pay a price for all these things, but in the end you have to decide whether or not it is worth it to you.

We're WBC'ers (liked it renting so much we bought a resale contract) but we also own an RV, so we do like to go to Fort Wilderness every so often, so we're kind of regularly not "never again onsite" folks. I have Christmas 2020 booked and it is $200 a night for our site, so depending on unit size at WBC, the Fort is more expensive. But it allows us to bring our dogs along and for Christmas I just wouldn't ever leave them behind.

Additionally, we've got a trip coming up at Saratoga Springs, a timeshare exchange with some RCI points that are going to expire soon...would I pay cash for it? probably not, especially since we usually stay in 2 bedroom units at WBC (and other Wyndham properties now), and this will be a 1 bedroom. DS will live sleeping on the pullout, but I don't think I'd want to do a 1 bedroom for a week if he had a friend along like we like to do.

Anyway, back to your question...what would it take and where?
1. we honeymooned at the Poly, so if that was to come up with some sort of great deal, I'd snag it. Especially for a short trip with just DH and myself.
2. when we owned DVC, we owned at the Boardwalk and loved the location and walkability. I think I might be willing to do a 1 bedroom there for a week with 4 people (maybe...) if it came up as an exchange or if it were somewhere close to the same price as WBC. That would tempt me.

The nostalgia factor is real. One of the reasons you vacation is to feel good, not just pursue value.
Staying in a new place can make your trip more memorable and special.

This is so true and why I keep leaning toward staying onsite! Thank you!

We're WBC'ers (liked it renting so much we bought a resale contract) but we also own an RV, so we
1. we honeymooned at the Poly, so if that was to come up with some sort of great deal, I'd snag it. Especially for a short trip with just DH and myself.
2. when we owned DVC, we owned at the Boardwalk and loved the location and walkability. I think I might be willing to do a 1 bedroom there for a week with 4 people (maybe...) if it came up as an exchange or if it were somewhere close to the same price as WBC. That would tempt me.

Great to hear you go back and forth, and it is great to have an option to bring the dog! The Poly and Boardwalk are two I'm considering. I mentioned the reasons for Poly, I've never been near Boardwalk but it's one of the most affordable places to rent a studio and it would be a great location! The theme just doesn't appeal to me, much prefer something tropical feeling like Poly or AKL, so I'm afraid I'd be disappointed with the ambiance...

It would take a free hotel room for us to stay on property during at least one of our trips. We stay at WBC because my father has more timeshare points than he can handle and gets us a couple of weeks for free (to us) every year.

It would take a free hotel room for us to stay on property during at least one of our trips. We stay at WBC because my father has more timeshare points than he can handle and gets us a couple of weeks for free (to us) every year.

Nice!

We have stayed at WBC for the last 6 years. Probably a good dozen stays under our belt. To put it frankly, Disney would have to give me a free hotel stay for us to leave or give us free park tickets.

It’s no comparison. Full kitchens, up to four bedrooms, no daily housekeeping barging into the rooms, and of course, the price.

The perks to staying onsite (longer FP reservations and extra magic hours) don’t even come lose to outweighing the amenities at WBC. I don’t count the Disney transportation system as being a perk since we like driving to the parks. I have no interest riding a bus. We pay for preferred parking and enjoy being front row.

So there you have it. We are WBC for life. We just got back from there two days ago.

At very least our dollar close to par ... right now I am paying just over 30% to exchange and that HURTS. It would also take one hell of a PIN code or deal because the rack rate onsite prices are brutal and far outpaced what I was willing to pay over the last decade. We've stayed at The Poly, The Boardwalk, OKW, PORx3. CSRx2, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom LodgeX2. We've also spent a night or two at each of the value properties. I love onsite. But at some point the cost became ridiculous to us. Especially given the space and the amenities I could get at Sheraton Vistana or WBC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter