WDW 25 days post vag hyst?

JennyDrake

Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan
I currently have a 6 day trip planned to WDW, flying down from TN. Just learned that for Christmas I'll be getting a vaginal hysterectomy on the 28th. I'm 53 years young and fit but not super fit. The only restrictions the gyn has given me are for driving and stairs the first 14 days. If you have been through this, what are your thoughts about the realism OR not of a trip 25 days after surgery??? I'm an AP holder so postponing this trip wouldn't be a major life event.

I’d talk to your gyn again and ask specifically about it. I’m a retired gyn but left practice when vag hysts were not as common as now, so recommendations may have changed. However, it’s still major surgery and takes a lot of energy to heal, so we used to recommend 6 weeks off work to allow the patient lots of extra rest and sleep. Again, with more years of experience and knowledge this may have changed, but I’d be concerned that you might not have your normal stamina for spending hours in the parks and might not enjoy your trip as much. Again, your gyn is your best source of advice!

I had mine done 3 years ago, when I was 26. I was off all pain meds after 2 weeks, but still had on and off cramping for at least another month. I wasn't feeling quite like myself until 6-8 weeks after. I slept a lot more than usual (both at night and took naps during the day) and did get worn out quicker, especially with things like walking at the mall or pushing a cart at the grocery store. I did have my hysterectomy only 3 months after having a baby by C-section, so that combined with taking care of a baby I'm sure had an impact on my fatigue, but I did go from 6-8 hrs sleep and being fine before the hysterectomy to probably 12-14 and having little energy for a solid 6-8 weeks after.

Had I had a trip scheduled 25 days after, I personally would have cancelled, but we have young kids who require more work and we aren't able to go regularly. If you go into the trip without any big expectations and the understanding that you may have to take more frequent breaks, sit down more, or go back to the hotel a little early, then you should be fine. I'd also go with an open mind about renting a wheelchair or ECV when you get there, should you find the walking to be too tiring.

If you would be disappointed by having to take more breaks, leave the parks early, etc, then I'd consider rescheduling.

I hope your surgery and recovery go very smoothl

Since you are able to cancel, I probably would if it were me.
If everything goes well, you might be ready to go as long as your MD agrees and you take care it easy.

No one expects any complications, but they are always a possibility and if you have any, they could complicate and extend your recovery. Plus, going that soon after, you could still have some issues and would need to deal with them at WDW. Personally, I’d rather wait and know I was 100%

THANKS to each of your for your input! I should have put in the OP that I DID ask my gyn. Here is his response, "Let me put it this way--in 9 days my wife was on a ladder cleaning out the garage."

(Helpful, eh?)

I have decided to cancel my trip and possibly move it to late February.

THANKS to each of your for your input! I should have put in the OP that I DID ask my gyn. Here is his response, "Let me put it this way--in 9 days my wife was on a ladder cleaning out the garage."

(Helpful, eh?)

Can you get another doctor? This one sounds incompetent!

Even if they are not penetrating the abdominal wall, removing an organ is serious business, and no one should be up on a ladder 9 days after having an organ removed, IMO.

(Helpful, eh?)

Can you get another doctor? This one sounds incompetent!

Even if they are not penetrating the abdominal wall, removing an organ is serious business, and no one should be up on a ladder 9 days after having an organ removed, IMO.

I wonder if he forgot to mention that she went to bed extra early that night and slept hours later than normal! Also, I wonder what she would have told you....

I agree you’ve made a wise decision. Maybe you’d have been fine, but why take a chance you wouldn’t?

I see you already rescheduled your trip but thought I would give you my recent experience. I just had mine on 9/6/18 and had our annual Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon trip from 10/29-11/6. I actually did a 3.3K about 1 month after I had my surgery. We flew from Buffalo so about a 2 1/2 hr flight. I did fine but I also didn't have any complications from the surgery (which is rare for me!). I was wiped out and did end up renting an ECV for when we were in the parks. I think the hardest part for me was flying, because of the seat belt. It went right across where my incisions were. I needed a seat belt extender, which I don't normally need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter