WDW and rides with an ICD

squeezle

Mickey Fan From Birth
My husband is facing the decision of whether or not to get an ICD (Implantable cardioverter defibrillator) so we are in the process of researching what this would mean for his future. He is (relatively) young, healthy, and fit but has an inherited heart condition. We are frequent visitors to WDW and I was hoping for some insight into how this device would impact our visits. This, of course, will not be his only consideration, but any information will be helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with an ICD at Disney?
How does an ICD impact security screenings (i.e. metal detectors)?
Are MagicBands and RFID technology a problem?
What rides need to be avoided either due to magnets or other considerations?
Do ride restraints irritate the ICD?

Thanks!!

I don’t have personal experience but was close to needing one. I would think he couldn’t go on any rollercoasters or rides that increase the HR too much, these devices can shock you if it thinks you’re getting into a bad rhythm. For security you’d have to tell them and then they may do a pat down instead.

Here’s a link on the magicband/RFID checkpoints https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

I don’t have personal experience but was close to needing one. I would think he couldn’t go on any rollercoasters or rides that increase the HR too much, these devices can shock you if it thinks you’re getting into a bad rhythm. For security you’d have to tell them and then they may do a pat down instead.

Here’s a link on the magicband/RFID checkpoints https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

Thank you!

Does anyone else have any personal or family experiences?

My mom had one and while she never went to WDW we did take a Disney cruise. The only thing she had to avoid were metal detectors at the airports and on the cruise. They just did a pat down instead. She had an id card but as soon as she said she had a defibrillator they waved her off to the side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter