WDW and...what's the nearest nice beach?

ptrbryant

DIS Veteran
Since we've been home from WDW for nearly 3 months now, it's time to start planning the next trip!;)
We're thinking of combining a WDW trip with a few days by the ocean. What's the closest beach to Orlando that you'd really want to spend time at?
Thanks!
Karla B.

We have gone to Cocoa Beach (about 45-50 minutes from Orlando) and it was nice, but we prefer the Gulf beaches. We love Clearwater Beach! If you want waves, Cocoa Beach is for you! If you are looking for warm, calm waters and white sand beach - Clearwater Beach is your place! Clearwater Beach is about 1 & 1/2 hrs from Orlando. :)

Ormund beach is clean and quiet. My sis has access to a timeshare and took us there on one of our visits. Was practically empty! Just north of Daytona... bout an hour.. hour and a half away. Check out http://www.royalfloridian.com/index.html they may offer you several days free lodging to listen to their timeshare schpeel.... (no this is not my sis's timeshare.. they just happened to approach me and my daughter on the beach)

We've done day trips over to Melbourne ( a few miles south of Cocoa Beach) on the Atlantic.This summer though Joe wants to take us down to Ft Myers area...Sanibel Island.He spent many summers down there as a kid,then moved there as an adult.He says it's one of the most beautiful places he's ever seen...I guess I'll let y'all know this summer!

I live on the Florida west coast: I would recommend Siesta Key in Sarasota, Nokomis Beach (Casey Key), or Sanibel/Captiva.

I recommend Siesta Key for the Gulf Coast and New Smyrna Beach (just south of Daytona) on the east coast. The web site for Siesta Key is www.4sarasota.com and the site for New Smyrna Beach is www.newsmyrnabeachonline.com . On our next visit (Dec. 2004) we are going to try the Canaveral National Seashore(near Kennedy Space Center) again- it was closed on our last trip due to a Space Shuttle landing.

I just wanted to mention since you asked for NICE beaches, I have this tip. Do NOT go to Daytona Beach. It is disgusting. We had two free nights there as part of a vacation plan and left after less than 24 hours. Dirty beach, scary people, people driving like maniacs on the beach, ITSELF!, the worst environment for kids, nasty hotels, I could go on. I have also heard Cocoa is nice. You probably have already heard this about Daytona, we did but couldn't believe it was that bad. I hope I never see that place again!

Last year we visited Cocoa and Clearwater....I thought Clearwater was by far the more beautiful.....but Cocoa is closer.

We may try Ormund this year.

Last year in October we drove to Siesta Key. We LOVED it! The sand was like powder, and there is a bathroom that was farely clean. We had some waves the day we went! We all had a great time there! It was worth the drive!
Twinz

Love Sanibel Island. We did it after Disney 2 years ago and it is about a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive.

I defininitely prefer the gulf beaches to the East Coast beaches.

You can approach the Nat'l Park from top or bottom, from Volusia Co. on the North, or from Cocoa on the South. The beaches are really quite magnificent, and the waves are large enough for surfing, but the park is daytrip only, unless you like primitive camping.

Playalinda Beach is probably the most remote beach in the park, and is also probably the most beautiful beach in the park. However, if you decide that you wish to visit it, you should be aware that, by local custom, Playalinda is a clothing-optional beach.

Hi :wave: ,

We are massive fans of Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands which are both near Clearwater. Clearwater itself is lovely and I much prefer the Gulf Coast (especially with children). The water is much warmer and the beaches seem cleaner and the waves are not as strong on the gulf, compared with The Atlantic beaches.

Honeymoon Island is a state park and its aout $8? for parking for the day. There is a nice beach (although it is better for shelling than sand). However, there is a boat that reguarly leaves Honeymoon going to Caladesi. On Caladesi there is a stunning soft white sand beach and also nice nature walks and a b.b.q area. The boat trip takes about 10 minutes. Get there early as it can get VERY busy.

Richard. :)

Wow, Clearwater Beach is our plan for 3 days in August before 2 days at WDW and then the 7 day on DCL. My problem is that I don't know which Hotel/Motel to stay at, have been to St. Pete Beach, Marco Island, Cocoa and Daytona and agree that Gulf Coast Beaches are the Best. First on the list is clean and on the beach, anybody familiar or have any ideas? I have been on line but it is hard to tell from just pictures. Thanks!

For a good beach hotel, I always suggest booking at a property that is a member of the Superior Small Lodgings organization. It is a quality control group, and the standard to be able to belong and post that sign is quite high. These are all small properties of 50 rooms or less, very personal service.

If you do a Google search on "superior small lodging" (include the quote marks) and the name of the beach you want, you should get the local SSL website, with a list and links.

markey- we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree on Clearwater Beach for the past 3 years and love it! They offer kids activities every day and kids 12 and under eat free! They have a very nice heated pool and are right on the beach! Check out the holiday inn web-site - they have various package deals available. Be sure to ask for a room in the "tower section" if possible - you have a private balcony overlooking the pool and beach and you can view the most beautiful sunsets from your balcony! Enjoy!:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter